Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

DeLay, Reid, Others Took Illegal Campaign Donations

Post by Iris » 08-07-2005 07:30 AM

DeLay, Reid, Other Took Illegal Campaign Donations
By LARRY MARGASAK
Aug 6, 2005, 08:38

House Republican leader Tom DeLay and Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid are among five lawmakers who have accepted lobbyist donations to their legal defense funds despite rules prohibiting such contributions.

Congressional records show that DeLay accepted contributions from five lobbyists and one lobbying firm totaling $8,000 between 2001 and 2004. He has returned $3,500 from two of the donors.

Reid accepted one lobbyist contribution of $3,000 in 1999.

The contributions were reported by the Center for Public Integrity, a nonpartisan, tax-exempt organization that conducts investigative research and reporting on public policy issues.

Lawmakers can establish defense funds to help pay legal bills for ethics and criminal investigations or other legal matters including election recounts.

DeLay spokesman Kevin Madden said an audit by an independent firm is under way to ensure the donations complied with the rules.

"Any donations that are in noncompliance with the rules pertaining to legal defense funds will be returned," Madden said. "The audit will be finished shortly. Oftentimes, because of the volume or timing, some donations that are in noncompliance slip through."

Lobbyist Robert Odle Jr. said a $1,000 contribution to DeLay's fund in 2001 actually was made by his wife, although the fund reported both their names _ as listed on the check.

Reid spokeswoman Tessa Hafen said the senator received a contribution from a longtime friend who had registered as a lobbyist shortly before the donation. She said Reid was not aware of the registration at the time.

Hafen said the legal defense fund account is closed and Reid has asked the Senate's ethics committee how to proceed.

Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., received $2,500 in donations from four lobbyists from 2001 to this year. Spokesman Michael DeCesare said three of the four contributions have been returned and one, for $500, is being double-checked because it may have been incorrectly reported.

"We strive for perfection," DeCesare said. "I would support the contention we do exactly that." He added that "in a few instances, over a period of five years," mistakes were made.

Other reports showed that Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, received a lobbyist's contribution of $3,000 in 1996 and Rep. Henry Hyde, R-Ill., accepted a $1,000 lobbyist's donation in 1997.

Hatch spokesman Adam Elggren said the senator's office is trying to determine whether the contribution came from the lobbyist, as listed in a public report, or from the lobbyist's company.

Hyde's spokesman, asked about the contribution to the lawmaker, did not immediately comment.

© 2005 The Associated Press
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/p ... 7163.shtml
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 08-07-2005 03:34 PM

The last I'd heard on this hot topic of creative finance was
Ronnie Earle's interview on Tx Monthly a KLBJ backed program
that airs on Austin's KLRU/PBS station.

Seems that three of DeLay's men where using an Enron/Anderson
type of accounting method when calculating the campaign expenses from there corporate donations.

Its illegal in Texas to accept any corporate donations for campaigning but it is legal to use the funding to defray the operating costs ... ie tapes and desks. There seems to be
a large kap in this loophole
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-08-2005 11:20 AM

I would say that if we started "digging" into campaign financing for almost ALL elected offices we would find "illegal" or "almost illegal" campaign donations... that means all - not any specific party or person.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-08-2005 01:14 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: I would say that if we started "digging" into campaign financing for almost ALL elected offices we would find "illegal" or "almost illegal" campaign donations... that means all - not any specific party or person.

If so, does that make it OK?
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-09-2005 12:30 PM

Joolz -- did I say it made it ok? NO --

But I for one would like to see them ALL exposed. Not so much selectively - but all of them. got it?

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-09-2005 06:15 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: But I for one would like to see them ALL exposed. Not so much selectively - but all of them.
If I misread you, then, I apologize. But this came across to me as another "everybody does it" defense, which you tend to toss out a lot as some sort of excuse whenever Republicans are involved (and yes, I realize that Reid is a Democrat). Or at least that's the way it comes across. I'm not trying to be mean to you, but maybe you could think about how what you say comes across to others sometimes. I also would like to see them all exposed--and prosecuted. It has to start somewhere, and I don't care with whom or how many. And BTW... the "got it?" comments are starting to get old fast.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

drnewel
Pirate

Lobbyists

Post by drnewel » 08-09-2005 07:43 PM

Just having lobbyists in the first place is out of place.
Dr. Newel

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-10-2005 10:37 AM

Joolz -- ehh you misread yes, so leave it at that. I'd like to see a TRUE end to all the political ILLEGAL campaign monies.

Now here is the problem - how do we FIND out for sure? (I apologize in advance as I lost the URL when c/p to my files and will paraphrase) - seems that several "mini" campaign donation groups are set up to receive donations. Each mini group can receive $X from each contributor. ONLY problem is - the contributors can also give $X to several of these mini groups - thus avoiding the "illegal" aspect of donating to a single group. -

Did notice in original article that Delay had returned $3500 of contributions. hmm interesting.

===
YES get rid of the lobbyists!

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”