Call Me "Hussein"

Ex-CIA Officers Rip Bush Over Rove Leak

Post by Rombaldi » 07-22-2005 05:27 PM

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/ ... 2-15-22-38

Jul 22, 3:22 PM EDT

Ex-CIA Officers Rip Bush Over Rove Leak

By DONNA DE LA CRUZ
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former U.S. intelligence officers criticized President Bush on Friday for not disciplining Karl Rove in connection with the leak of the name of a CIA officer, saying Bush's lack of action has jeopardized national security.

In a hearing held by Senate and House Democrats examining the implications of exposing Valerie Plame's identity, the former intelligence officers said Bush's silence has hampered efforts to recruit informants to help the United States fight the war on terror. Federal law forbids government officials from revealing the identity of an undercover intelligence officer.

"I wouldn't be here this morning if President Bush had done the one thing required of him as commander in chief - protect and defend the Constitution," said Larry Johnson, a former CIA analyst. "The minute that Valerie Plame's identity was outed, he should have delivered a strict and strong message to his employees."

Rove, Bush's deputy chief of staff, told Time magazine reporter Matthew Cooper in a 2003 phone call that former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson's wife worked for the CIA on weapons of mass destruction issues, according to an account by Cooper in the magazine. Rove has not disputed that he told Cooper that Wilson's wife worked for the agency, but has said through his lawyer that he did not mention her by name.

In July 2003, Robert Novak, citing unnamed administration officials, identified Plame by name in his syndicated column and wrote that she worked for the CIA. The column has led to a federal criminal investigation into who leaked Plame's undercover identity. New York Times reporter Judith Miller - who never wrote a story about Plame - has been jailed for refusing to testify.

Bush said last week, "I think it's best that people wait until the investigation is complete before you jump to conclusions. And I will do so, as well."

Dana Perino, a White House spokesman, said Friday that the administration would have no comment on the investigation while it was continuing.

Patrick Lang, a retired Army colonel and defense intelligence officer, said Bush's silence sends a bad signal to foreigners who might be thinking of cooperating with the U.S. on intelligence matters.

"This says to them that if you decide to cooperate, someone will give you up, so you don't do it," Lang said. "They are not going to trust you in any way."

Johnson, who said he is a registered Republican, said he wished a GOP lawmaker would have the courage to stand up and "call the ugly dog the ugly dog."

"Where are these men and women with any integrity to speak out against this?" Johnson asked. "I expect better behavior out of Republicans."

-------

Where indeed... where indeed...
Last edited by Rombaldi on 07-22-2005 05:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-22-2005 05:45 PM

These people do not understand what they are doing. The present state of affairs in Washington, DC, is the result of thirteen long years of very hard work, and it is NOT about to be set aside because of the criticisms of a few disgruntled individuals.

These people do not understand what they are doing. When forced to do so, the Bush Administration KILLS those who oppose them. Ask the ground-floor underlings in Valerie Plame's CIA operation...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 07-22-2005 05:50 PM

Joe... enough.

Yes, people have DIED because of Shrub's Cabal outing a Covert Agent for their own petty gains.. for the love of GHOD, show those that were KILLED by the Cabal's hubris some respect.

There is a time and place for your Anarchical, Defeatist rants... this is NOT ONE OF THEM.
Last edited by Rombaldi on 07-22-2005 05:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-22-2005 06:05 PM

These people have been defeated a solid three times before, and each time, they have come back, even stronger than ever. The first time was 1974 (with Watergate). The second time was 1986 (with the Iran-Contra Scandal). And the third time was 1992 (with the Elder Bush's Recession).

Rombaldi, you profoundly unestimate the intelligence and the will-power of the people whom you oppose. And you always forget that the Amerikan people, by and large, support them in their actions. Have supported them in their actions FOR GENERATIONS. And will continue to do so in the future....

You'll find out for yourself soon enough...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 07-22-2005 06:10 PM

and you have NO RESPECT for the lives taken for this crime.

I wash my hands of you... go ahead and lay down and be used and abused by them. If I die, I die with a clear conscience, not as a rug that laid down to be walked on.

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 07-23-2005 02:07 AM

Has anyone else who watched the hearing today on c-span noticed the remarkable resemblance of Larry Johnson to Alex Jones??

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 07-23-2005 12:21 PM

I missed it, but I'll try to watch the repeat.

Nothing will come of this ... its just the way they do
political backstabbing coersion in the DC beltway

its another example of Ken Star and Clinton kickboxing

Rove and Scooter are just plumber mates
that keep Scott McClellan busy with his plunger
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”