Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Here comes the Draft.. from the RIGHT

Post by Rombaldi » 07-06-2005 08:38 PM

http://americablog.org/

Religious right talking about the draft, and in favor of it
by John in DC - 7/06/2005 07:35:00 PM

I think they're softening up the ground [link] for Bush to make it easier for him to reinstate the draft. The "military expert" is one the religious right always uses, and this is published in their propaganda organ. They don't publish something like this without a reason. And when Bush's radical right buddies start pushing a draft, everyone under 40 had better watch it.

A military expert and Pentagon advisor says the United States should look at Germany if it wants to find a way to solve the long-term military recruiting problem. While President Bush and most Pentagon officials want to avoid a draft, retired Army Lt. Colonel Bob Maginnis says unless the pace of the war on terror decreases, conscription might be America's best recourse. He notes, "I have a half-brother who lives in Germany who, when he was 18, after his high school, had to provide mandatory public service -- either the military or he could go into social service. It was still the same 18-month obligation. He helped invalids in his community, and it was an organized program." While his brother chose the social service option, Maginnis points out that the Germans "fill their army with conscripts who would rather go into the army." The military advisor says unless the current pace of the war decreases, the U.S. might have to reinstate the draft, and he feels the German option would be fair to everyone.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Lord Moon
Pirate

This is why I pay taxes...

Post by Lord Moon » 07-06-2005 11:49 PM

I consider my taxes as service to my community..I think that a much better idea, instead of conscription would be to begin taxing churches, and religious organizations.....then we could hire Germans to do our fighting for us.......

They won't realize how many people oppose this war until they try and reinstate the draft....that'll be when the civil war starts....better to be shot here than Iraq or Iran...

drnewel
Pirate

Draft

Post by drnewel » 07-11-2005 06:59 PM

I had a neighbor who for five years filmed and tape recorded my apartment - so when I joined the military he could prove I got drunk, was with mixed company, had wine tasting parties with gays etc. Think of the business of spying if suddenly "don't-ask-don't tell" was dissolved, or "Zero-Tolerance," suddenly was meaningless.

How many gays have been discharged - completely destroying their lives?

How many men and women were destroyed by rumors that they smoked pot in high school?

Let the gay bashers, white supremicists go to war.
Dr. Newel

Voyager
Pirate

Post by Voyager » 07-12-2005 02:52 AM

Sounds like you all would be afraid to go to war.....easier to belittle others on a web blog, it seems.?
Wonder where we'd be, as a country, without our victory in WWII?
If the democrats had their way, we would be a pacifist country, easily attacked by terrorists.
Nuff said
The other side of the coin

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 07-14-2005 12:10 AM

Time for a Proto-Draft
by Rhinehart
Sun Jul 10th, 2005 at 21:20:13 PDT
It's getting worse. Unless we do something and NOW! everyone in the Army and Marines will have served their time and will want to go back to mama, the kids, the dog and the beer. And who's to blame them? So, before Fort Hood becomes a tumbleweed-strewn ghost-town, before Ft. Lewis, Washington becomes Tacoma's Bon Marche Mall II, let's get serious people! Bite the bullet. Light the fuse. Fire up the draft!
But sensibly. Selectively. I mean, no use sending over wimps and socialclimbers looking for a college education or a respectable career in the military---they'll just get hurt and cost us more money for medical care! Let's draft the ones who are truly ready for this kind of warfare!

Diaries :: Rhinehart's diary :: ::

Humvee Owners. The historical and moral downside to their Vietnam deferment finally caught up to them and, tired of spinning that old "my lottery number was 1000" tale to their new girlfriends, they've sprung 50 grand on a toy replica of the Real War Experience (testosterone-gunpowder aerosol extra). They want an experince, so tet's give it to them. Those who bought the H2 or H3 get a no-refuse ticket to Baghdad--right along with their Big Ugly Purchase. Those who bought the more expensive Big Hummer get to bring their teenaged sons along to ride shotgun down the Main Drag. Those who bought the yellow version are exempt---everyone knows where they're coming from. As always, BYOA (Bring your own Armor). Job Spec: Patrolling anywhere outside the Green Zone.

Pundits and warbloggers. Especially the pro-war smartguys like Sean Hannity, Andy Sullivan, Assrocket, ad infinitum. Back during the Viet war, the joke was that second lieutenants were given side-arms (one clip) and a walkie-talkie. Then, they would be choppered to a place in the middle of nowhere and given a tree to climb. From their perch, they would look for enemy patrols and report back (very quietly). This would work for people like Hannity, Colter, et al. Simply build a little minaret-like structure near an street intersection and require him or it to call in any suspicious activity. We could even name the intersections for the pundits manning the lookouts. BYOA.

The Administration and it's family, including extended family like Ricky Santorum, John Warner, and especially James "the dumbest US Senator of them all" In-oaf. These people should be given the opportunity to work in the US Military machine shop, fabbing effective Humvee armor from tin foil, dixie cups and chickpea hummus.

Now, there are those that might suggest the Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld et al, wouldn't be able to govern effectively from inside a Baghdad Safe Room, but by any measure they'd do better than they have up to this point. Besides, until they get their chance to visit the Hague, they could use a little exercise. Even if it is the duck and cover variety.

Of course, it might come to pass that, once we draft this initial wave of conscripts, the war itself might suddenly wind on down, with everyone moving on to more important things.

Stranger things have happened.

http://dailykos.com/story/2005/7/11/02013/0165
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 07-14-2005 01:43 AM

Voyager wrote: Sounds like you all would be afraid to go to war.....easier to belittle others on a web blog, it seems.?
If the democrats had their way, we would be a pacifist country, easily attacked by terrorists.
Nuff said

Voyager, as a wonderful supporter of the Bush wars and the neo-con agendas, may you send ALL of your own children to the front-lines to make your statement for 'patriotism'. Moreover, if you are not too old and dowdy, you might consider joining-up RIGHT NOW. We here won't miss you, sorry, but it's the truth. If you missed the wars blazing in Afghanistan and Iraq, don't worry, there's sure to be more for you to hang your hat on! Now, please for the record, how many wars have you fought in, and do you think that is reason for the unreasonable?

Oh, if you think that the GERMAN NAZIS were totally defeated in WW-II, you must not know much about where they went after the war ended.....? Ever hear of Argentina, Brazil, etc? Are you familiar with the BORHMANN BROTHERHOOD?

What do you really know about the history of WW-II, and the rise of Hitler supported by American industrialists and financiers who are now attempting to make the World one huge CORPORATION for corporatism?

You act as if we know nothing here, and I am here to tell you that you are sadly mistaken.

So you think that the open border policies are really protecting you from terrorsts? Better yet, you actually do think that terrorism is at the root problem?! If TERRORISM were a real war, your borders would not be non-protected, don't you agree? You are sadly misinformed on many levels, it appears.

Please, when you have time, tell us more about the BOHRMANN BROTHERHOOD, and more about the globalist agendas, and why FASCISM/CORPORATISM swept into the Christian nations of Italy, Germany, and Spain?

Ninerism

Gotrox
Pirate

oh please

Post by Gotrox » 07-14-2005 03:39 PM

Dems aim to increase army size

A team of Senate and House Democrats today are planning to introduce legislation today aimed at significantly increasing size of the U.S. Army.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.), ranking member of the Senate Armed Services (SASC) airland subcommittee, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), a SASC member, and Reps. Ellen Tauscher (D-Calif.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.), both members of the House Armed Services committee, are pressing for the passage of the United States Army Relief Act.

The legislation seeks to raise the cap of the Army’s end strength, said an aide to Tauscher.

The Army already is working on increasing its troop levels by 30,000. Army chief of staff, Gen. Peter Schoomaker, has said on numerous occasions that it costs about $1.2 billion a year for every 10,000 people added to the Army.

Both the House and the Senate have called for an increase in troop levels in their 2006 defense authorization bill and it is likely that troop levels will be increased when the conferees meet.
Roxana Tiron

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 07-14-2005 03:51 PM

H.R. 163: Overwhelming Defeat
October 6, 2004
H.R. 163, which was introduced by Charles Rangel (D-NY) and which would have reinstated the military draft, was voted on in the House of Representatives yesterday. The bill was overwhelmingly defeated with a vote of 402 to 2. Although this appears to be a resounding statement by Congress against conscripting young people into the military, it may be just election year political sparring. It's really not a surprise that almost everyone is opposed to a draft before elections.

The issue of the military draft has been laid to rest for the time being. Although only two members of Congress, Pete Stark (D-CA) and John Murtha (D-PA), voted in favor of it, those who opposed it argue that this is an issue that will not rest. Democrats point to the increasing number of National Guard and Reserve units being used as the war and casualties in Iraq escalate. Tom Daschle, Senate Democratic leader said, "I would expect your going to continue to see debates about the viability of a draft as we move forward."

Although the Republican Congressional leaders brought this to the forefront in order to put it to rest, the military does not have enough people to carry out current military policy. The Bush Administration continues to talk of a never-ending war on terrorism. To bolster the size of the military President Bush has issued "Stop-loss orders", which prevent many in the military from leaving when their time is up. Sen. Kerry has called this policy a 'back door draft'. Rep. McDermott (D-WA) raised the question, "How big a step is it from where we are now to the president saying it is the national interest that everyone serve?"

Sen. Kerry has said he wants to increase the size of the Army by 40,000. Although the President has said he will not reinstate the draft, he has no plans to alter his foreign policy, which necessitates such a large number of troops. It remains a very real possibility that once the elections are past, if the troops levels are not met, the draft could be back on the table as a way to maintain or increase the size of the military.

Because of yesterday's vote, we now have a unique opportunity for Congress members hear from their constituents that the draft and current military policy of pre-emption and global military dominance are unacceptable.

If your Member voted against HR 163, make sure you thank him or her. If your Rep is one of the 2 who voted in favor of HR 163, make sure to let his office know how displeased you are with his vote. Members such as Charles Rangel and others who sponsored H.R. 163 need to hear from their constituents about the grave dangers of introducing such a bill, even as a protest against the war. And they need to know that at minimum, the rights of conscientious objectors need to be protected.

My comment.

Left VS Right------just a way to keep us focused on the BS while missing the true nature of politics.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 07-14-2005 04:33 PM

Voyager wrote: Sounds like you all would be afraid to go to war.....easier to belittle others on a web blog, it seems.?
Nuff said

It would seem that, as the republicans are having their way, that they promote wars that will be fought by others... including DEMOCRATS.

Between here>[.................................]< and here please list all of those chicken hawks of this "administration" who volunteered to fight in Viet Nam.

Should I say that republicans are COWARDS who start wars that the poor will have to fight?

Hell with it.... you do not even know whom we are fighting or why.

Think oil profits and war profits for the lil blowmonkey and his butt buddies.

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”