Why do so many liberals talk big ...

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 04-22-2005 11:16 AM

My role model is Jesus Christ, the ultimate "Girly man" and "Liberal", dude.

Life 101: If you wish to group all traits you do not like into a term like Liberal, that is your right, but it is silly. People who oppose the death penalty do so predominantly on religoius terms, just like the people who oppose abortion. I am not a Liberal. In fact, the term really has no meaning anymore except in the rabid ranting minds of hate mongers on talk radio. Regardless of what such people wish was true, most Americans are moderate and vote and hold views that are not extremist in either direction. We also do not go around casting everyone else into a hated group (which was a favorite tactic of such wonderful folk as the Nazi's) and thereby insulting them.

I am glad you are the only sane person around here. How sweet and lucky you are!
Last edited by Westward Ho on 04-22-2005 11:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"I had plenty of pimples as a kid. One day I fell asleep in the library. When I woke up, a blind man was reading my face." Rodney Dangerfield

Captain Fantastic
DREAD PIRATE

Post by Captain Fantastic » 04-22-2005 11:20 AM

Just a reminder here - general frothy rants are okay, but let's not get too personal with any insults. No heat seeking missles?

We need some dialogue across the divide.

*note: your post not being referred to here Westward Ho...

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 04-22-2005 02:06 PM

I was out hiking, and I realized that what we may see in the threads created by this personage is TRIBAL CONSCIOUSNESS in action. He constantly categorizes everyone into other tribes (us versus them. Them are very bad, we are very good).

I think what he finds inexplicable in this forum is that most of us are beyond Tribal Culture. We believe what we believe and it is based on our experience in life, our varied influences (which includes spirituality, religion, books, discussions, etc., rather than merely the ranting of a Michael Savage tribalist). We make decisions based on our own conscience and values, and are (frankly) amazed and amused when someone else comes along and stamps an onerous label on us (like the Pharasees pointing a finger at the "unclean" who dare to flaunt tradition and group-think).

We are what we are. We have no group enemies. We are not a tribe. Yet to someone inside the tribal mindset, we are strange and such a person then has to resort to name calling (again, part of the excrement throwing monkey behavior of the tribe).

Geez....the things I come up with while hiking! :D
"I had plenty of pimples as a kid. One day I fell asleep in the library. When I woke up, a blind man was reading my face." Rodney Dangerfield

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-22-2005 02:19 PM

Captain Fantastic wrote: 'Prometheus had stolen fire from Zeus and given it to the mortals in their dark caves. The gift of divine fire unleashed a flood of inventiveness, productivity and, most of all, respect for the immortal gods in the rapidly developing mortals. Within no time (by immortal standards), culture, art, and literacy permeated the land around Olympus...'
;)

Prometheus also mightily PO'd Zeus with that theft. Zeus punished both Prometheus (chaining him to a rock where an eagle ate his liver every night :eek: ) and to mortals because of it. Prior to this act, there had been no evil in the world, but one of the end results of Zeus' punishment to humans was the releasing of all the evils in the world from that infamous little jar/box... with only Hope left in the bottom. Prometheus was also a trickster god. ;) His son, however, was Deucalion, who was the Greek "Noah" in their flood tale, and with his wife, Pyrrha, replenished humankind after the flood by throwing stones over their shoulders which sprang up as men and women. Just adding to the lore... dunno what any of it means in relation. heh
Image Anchors Aweigh!

searchingspirit
Pirate

Post by searchingspirit » 04-22-2005 10:10 PM

Deep Peace to you all! Have not been around in a while but this much I do know is hurting peoples feelings is not the thing to do on this ship. Every one on this ship has the right to their own opinion but not at the expence of insulting someone. Deep breaths my friend deep breaths. SS

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 04-25-2005 12:52 AM

mudwoman wrote: As an aside: SLady, I was thinking the other day about the remarkable hours many of us spent with you, and others, during the hurricanes. I will never forget that. It was a HAM radio sort of experience - live, real and on that occasion, very moving. That sort of sharing is the true essence of The Fantastic Forum. Let's hope that if we ever have another occasion to have a live exchange like that it has nothing to do with hurricanes! :eek:

Never will forget it either...was a true and rewarding experience in the worst of scenario's. Teamwork, sincerity for those we care for and those in the path of danger. A moment of true togetherness.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 04-25-2005 12:55 AM

searchingspirit wrote: Deep Peace to you all! Have not been around in a while but this much I do know is hurting peoples feelings is not the thing to do on this ship. Every one on this ship has the right to their own opinion but not at the expence of insulting someone. Deep breaths my friend deep breaths. SS

So true SS, it is called respect.

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”