Where are we now going with the P&G thread?

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 11-15-2004 01:58 PM

Alpha'
Very good.:D

swimmbadd
Pirate

Re: Re: Invitation to our readers...

Post by swimmbadd » 11-15-2004 02:17 PM

alphacentaura wrote: of material/total characters hosted.

[*]perhaps the conversations in P & G should remain at a macro vs micro level....higher level issues, implications, global implications etc. rather than specifics....these IMHO belong in a dedicated political forum specific to these topics. Perhaps sub categories on this deck would help: ie: The Draft, Health Care, The Constitution, Foreign Policy, Domestic Issues, Global Impacts & Issues, Terrorism, NWO/Illuminati, Rights & Freedoms, Global Leaders/Presidents....don't know what these could be...just a thought

This would be an organizational improvement that I whole-heartedly indorse. It’s been needed for a long time in my opinion.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

alphacentaura
Pirate

Post by alphacentaura » 11-15-2004 03:30 PM

Jeri, Rick....:) ;)

Just to add.

I give tremendous kudos to Ninerism as moderator of this deck.

Niner has always added depth, breadth and macro insight to most topics touched here.
  • The P & G forum would be an ideal place to post further reading/audio video material sources to the subjects at hand. This would provide some real value and resource for old timers and newbies alike
Niner and others have always graciously done this, yet I wonder how many actually have even googled to persue some topics or issues further, nevermind bought or borrowed the material to bring understanding from the micro grassroots level to a larger one, beyond their current perceived convictions and beliefs.

We're all on a journey here my friends, for the truth, a better world for all on the blue planet and beyond.

IMHO, the dragon is much larger, than the one in our backyard. In order to be able to slay it, we will have to expand the geography.

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 11-15-2004 06:02 PM

Bellisima wrote: Any holy war taken to our politicians is sure to kill many more innocent civilians than politicians. Collateral damage. Just like Iraq.

That's very true ... and you know the NSA's gonna tip 'em off before hand so they can pull a Snagglepuss at the last moment and exit stage right ... or is it left? ;)

Of course.... There are weapons that can be a tad more selective in who and what they target. ;)
S.Madewell - "If the truth shall kill a man ... let him die!"

alaskandevil
Pirate

Re: Re: Invitation to our readers...

Post by alaskandevil » 11-16-2004 02:02 PM

alphacentaura wrote: Although many wonderful members here enjoy the P & G forum, I honestly don't beleive it belongs on a forum founded on Art Bell and talk radio, unless of course, the topics du jour of the main radio programs spawn this conversation....there are many other places on the internet for this.

I realize this is and will be received as an unpopular point of view, however, you asked for an opinion and this is mine.

Lets see... where do I begin on this.
I have been posting on "art bell" chats/forums ever since they put up the first one on arts website back in what '96? Funny thing is I dont remember most of you guys. I can remember 6 hour discussions online in chat talking about P&G and guess what....it wasnt on any Art show that week.(gasp)

Where you guys when I and a couple others spent 4 hours online and another 4 hours on the phone long distance with a disturb young man coming to gripes with his homosexuality and pondering suicide? This sure wasnt an "Art Bell" show either.

The Art Bell I know is a libertarian, skeptic, opinionated(yet subtle about it) and above all else an entertainer.

To sit there and say "Art" isnt about this is bunk. Art has always been about saying what you want ,when you want too, but in a nice way. Insulting people just because they will not bow down to you is not being nice.

Linnea...keep the P&G section..just enforce the "play nice" rule..No personal attacks/name calling allowed. No spam...God I hate spam...When 3/4 of the new topics all come from 1 person it gets to be spam...Hell remember way back when you guys booted a person for such an act? Stick with simple rules but above all else ENFORCE them.

Joolz wrote
Posts that are clearly inflammatory in nature and are obviously designed to be disruptive and create a cesspool are easy enough to identify, and should be dealt with accordingly. The same goes with lies and disinformation that are unsupported.

However, public figures are fair game, IMO, insofar as calling them insulting "names." If anyone doesn't like that, then they need to grow thicker skin or stay OUT of P&G altogether.

Here here I agree with you Joolz. Especially the bolded section (I did that not joolz)

Ok...here is the soapbox back...
" Edited for Political Correctness "

alaskandevil
Pirate

Post by alaskandevil » 11-16-2004 02:16 PM

Oh and least I forget 9r...

Sorry but the last year or so has been hell on me with my reading...

Right now it tends to lean quite opposite from what you would like me to read.

I have titles such as " Microsoft Windows 2000 server" and Microsoft Windows 200 professional" . Along with a complete set of Cisco books as well as CompTIA A+ and N+ material.

When I get the time(like I said before) your books are on the "to do" list for reading... I just wish there was more time in the day.

Care to come on up here and finish off a few of my "liberal studies" courses for my other degree?(yes I am taking liberal studies) Kind of scary now huh?
" Edited for Political Correctness "

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-16-2004 02:16 PM

I have been posting many links re: the count. I know after the 13th of December I will not post as many threads.

But I never felt that information that Pirates might want to read about this election and the possibility of voter irregularities was Spamming........I don't consider myself as a spammer.

Rayvyn
Pirate

Post by Rayvyn » 11-16-2004 04:34 PM

I like any political newsgroup as long as it's civil. When political discussion and debate goes bad is when it gets personal. When you debate someone it's no longer a debate when they start ragging in each other.

I think it's just fine to call famous people like politicians, atheletes and other celebs names as long as they're "clean". I think calling Bush a shrub or a twig is ok but calling him R-rated names is out of the question. I think it's ok to make fun of Kerry's orange tan by calling him an Umpa Loompa. It's not really done to hurt anyone it's just a joke. Now calling a politician a liar should not only be condoned but it should be encouraged whenever the word fits.

I would love to see P&G stay. Political discussion is a good thing and sometime tempers will flair. That is no reason to trash the whole P&G forum. The moderators could warn someone when they start to go overboard or it gets to personal. A good political debate is when people bring forth facts and ideas and not just venom. Don't get me wrong, venom is ok when the situation calls for it like if a politician does something really disgusting like the Mayor of Waterbury, Connecticut who was a child molester.

A good example of political forums gone bad are the political USENET newsgroups. They have degraded over the past five years into spam magnets and an endless stream of personal attacks.

Rayvyn

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-16-2004 07:32 PM

tiffany wrote: I have been posting many links re: the count. I know after the 13th of December I will not post as many threads.

But I never felt that information that Pirates might want to read about this election and the possibility of voter irregularities was Spamming........I don't consider myself as a spammer.

Tiff...I may not agree with all of your posts, but I don't consider it spamming. I find them very interesting and enlightening and they are appreciated :) And that is how I feel about all the posts.

I say leave P&G the way it is, try and respect each other. I am not to keen on some of the Christian comments that are made, but so be it. Everyone has their own opinions.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-16-2004 07:52 PM

Thanks Linda, I just thought that they were informative for those interested.

Appreciate your view also............

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 11-17-2004 03:46 AM

tiffany wrote: Thanks Linda, I just thought that they were informative for those interested.

Appreciate your view also............

very informative. too much DISinformation is given and the real information gets tucked away. At least people here have the intellect and the resources to find said info and put it out there for ALL to see. Your choice to or not but at least YOU have the choice. Spam? Spam is the by product of production is it not? The stuff nobody would consume if they new what it was..Hmmm.
I guess to the PTB's they would consider this spam. Sail on.

fab

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-17-2004 04:08 AM

{{{Tiff}}}... you aren't a spammer... :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 11-17-2004 04:57 AM

Tiff dear, ADevil wasn't saying you are a spammer; we all know you're not. He was saying that Rom and I are spammers.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-17-2004 06:34 AM

Tiff...I don't think I was clear on my post I wasn't refering to your Christians posts...I was refering to Christian comments in the P&G thread in general.

(((((Hugs)))))))

Iris...I don't think anyone here is a spammer. We have alot of people that are very much convicted to their cause, better to have one then to not have one at all. IMO :D

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-17-2004 05:18 PM

{{{Iris}}}... I don't think you are a spammer, either... and neither is Rom.

Now, I will say this louder: I think it is really rather sad--as well as FALSE--that upstanding community members of FF would be accused of being spammers by another community member. Spammers are people from outside the community who post the same material over and over and over with the intention of disruption of the community. No one currently HERE who is a regular contributor is a spammer, and these accusations need to STOP.

Suggestion: If you are bothered by the posts in P&G, or any of the folders with a political bent, then stop using the "View Active New Posts" feature and just click on the folders that interest you. That way you won't even SEE the political posts.

As for the purpose of this thread initially, our Captain has SPOKEN. I fail to see why this issue needs to be discussed any further. At this point, it becomes nothing more than the proverbial beating of a dead horse, IMO.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”