Moderator: Super Moderators

dotcosm
Pirate

How To Control People

Post by dotcosm » 11-09-2004 01:48 PM

http://www.mindcontrolforums.com/pro-fr ... ntrol.html

How To Control People

by: Charley Reese

The difference between true education and vocational training has been cleverly blurred. Here are a few tips on how smart people can control other people. If any of this rings a bell - Well, then wake up!

The first principle of people control is not to let them know you are controlling them. If people knew, this knowledge will breed resentment and possibly rebellion, which would then require brute force and terror, and old fashioned, expensive and not 100 % certain method of control.

It is easier than you think to control people indirectly, to manipulate them into thinking what you want them to think and doing what you want them to do.

One basic technique is to keep them ignorant. Educated people are not as easy to manipulate. Abolishing public education or restricting access to education would be the direct approach. That would spill the beans. The indirect approach is to control the education they receive.

It's possible to be a Ph.D., doctor, lawyer, businessman, journalist, or an accountant, just to name a few examples, and at the same time be an uneducated person. The difference between true education and vocational training has been cleverly blurred in our time so that we have people successfully practicing their vocations while at the same time being totally ignorant of the larger issues of the world in which they live.

The most obvious symptom is their absence of original thought. Ask them a question and they will end up reciting what someone else thinks or thought the answer was. What do they think Well, they never thought about it. Their education consisted of learning how to use the library and cite sources.

That greatly simplifies things for the controller because with lots of money, university endowments, foundations, grants, and ownership of media, it is relatively easy to control who they will think of as authorities to cite in lieu of doing their own thinking.

Another technique is to keep them entertained. Roman emperors did not stage circuses and gladiator contests because they didn't have television. We have television because we don't have circuses and gladiator events. Either way, the purpose is to keep the people's minds focused on entertainment, sports, and peripheral political issues. This way you won't have to worry that they will ever figure out the real issues that allow you to control them.

Just as a truly educated person is difficult to control, so too is an economically independent person. Therefore, you want to create conditions that will produce people who work for wages, since wage earners have little control over their economic destiny. You'll also want to control the monetary, credit, and banking systems. This will allow you to inflate the currency and make it next to impossible for wage earners to accumulate capital. You can also cause periodic deflation to collapse the family businesses, family farms, and entrepreneurs, including independent community banks.

To keep trade unions under control, you just promote a scheme that allows you to shift production jobs out of the country and bring back the products as imports (it is called free trade). This way you will end up with no unions or docile unions.

Another technique is to buy both political parties so that after a while people will feel that no matter whether they vote for Candidate A or Candidate B, they will get the same policies. This will create great apathy and a belief that the political process is useless for effecting real change.

Pretty soon you will have a population that feels completely helpless, and thinks the bad things happening to them are nobody in particular's fault, just a result of global forces or evolution or some other disembodied abstract concept. If necessary, you can offer scapegoats.

Then you can bleed them dry without having to worry overly much that one of them will sneak into your house one night and cut your throat. If you do it right, they won't even know whose throat they are cutting.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-10-2004 11:38 AM

Now tie this into the NEA and school education, to the changes in the return to basic learning and perhaps we will create a new generation that will be 'better thinkers" and better doers...

one can hope.

shecoda
Pirate

Post by shecoda » 11-10-2004 12:42 PM

Another way to control people is to cut off the internet, see to it that the vast majority don't have access to greatest free thinking device in the world. Make darn sure BPL cable and DSL lines are unavailable to the masses so they can't get on sites like

http://www.mindcontrolforums.com/pr...to_control.html

Since this is exactly what President Bush and company is doing (restricting BPL, cable and DSL), I think that the writer of the above mentioned article knows exactly what he is writing about.

(I hope everyone knows sarcasm when they see it).

It is true that if the masses want to stay uneducated, no amount of availiable knowledge is going to educate them. But that is their choice.

However, I really think what is going on here is more of the "If you don't think exactly like me, you really are ignorant and uneducated" syndrome.

DISCLAIMER: Before the controversy erupts I personally do not think BPL in its present form is good for the country but that is not my point.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-10-2004 01:01 PM

excerpts from review of Noam Chomsky's book Media Control:

Chomsky’s backpocket classic on wartime propaganda and opinion control has been updated and expanded into a two-section book, and redesigned following the acclaimed format of his Open Media anti-war bestseller, 9-11. The new edition of Media Control also includes “The Journalist from Mars,” Chomsky’s 2002 talk on the media coverage of America’s “new war on terrorism.”

Chomsky begins by asserting two models of democracy—one in which the public actively participates, and one in which the public is manipulated and controlled. According to Chomsky “propaganda is to democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state,” and the mass media is the primary vehicle for delivering propaganda in the United States. From an examination of how Woodrow Wilson’s Creel Commission “suceeded, within six months, in turning a pacifist population into a hysterical, war-mongering population,” to Bush Sr.'s war on Iraq, Chomsky examines how the mass media and public relations industries have been used as propaganda to generate public support for going to war.

Chomsky touches on how the modern public relations industry has been influenced by Walter Lippmann’s theory of “spectator democracy,” in which the public is seen as a “bewildered herd” that needs to be directed, not empowered; and how the public relations industry in the United States focuses on “controlling the public mind,” and not on informing it.

http://www.sevenstories.com/book/index. ... 2100371450

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-10-2004 01:02 PM

shecoda wrote:
It is true that if the masses want to stay uneducated, no amount of availiable knowledge is going to educate them. But that is their choice.

However, I really think what is going on here is more of the "If you don't think exactly like me, you really are ignorant and uneducated" syndrome.

DISCLAIMER: Before the controversy erupts I personally do not think BPL in its present form is good for the country but that is not my point.

I agree it is true that the masses want to stay uneducated. I have seen it up close.

I don't think what is going on here is "if" you don't think exactly like me than you are ignorant. I don't think RH or Ben or even CherryK are ignorant. I do not agree with much of their opinions in this section of the forum, but that is what this Country is based on...diversity and differing opinions.

Why do you think from what you stated that controversy will erupt.

I for one am glad you have joined us here. You are free to voice your opinion and others who disagree are free also to do the same. Attacking one another and not respecting are not fine as Linn has stated. But to disagree well that is our right. Post on.........
Last edited by tiffany on 11-10-2004 01:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-10-2004 02:28 PM

tiffany - you do not agree with "my" opinion ONLY where it comes to the person "I" chose to vote for and for that we can and do indeed differ. HOWEVER, you go too far when you say we differ on MOST opinions.

Lets save comments of that nature after discussing ISSUES.

- - -
I have for numerous years and in numerous threads discussed the lack of a "good" education in the school systems. The NEA was wrong to push the feel good attitudes upon our schools and teaching/learning aspects.

Pass a kid to the next grade merely because he/she "Tried" to learn - even though johnny still can't read or write or add or subtract and he's now ready for jr high... WRONG WRONG WRONG. Some years ago we had a long discussion on why johnny can't read... wish you'd have participated then andyou'd know what I feel about education.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

beware: "ramble ahead" : (I've had an epiphany, t

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-10-2004 04:27 PM

Ignorance is a derivative of IGNORE, and ignore isn't necessarily a bad word, right?

In this election, there were ALOT of really smart people who ignored some articles of concern that they did not deem as important and/or asVALUABLE as other articles of concern, so they CHOSE to ignore certain factual articles in order to focus on others that they hold in higher regard, or value. Again, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

And while it doesn't make them wrong, it sure makes it clear that we (liberals & conservatives) come at the issues from a completely different directions ... either logically or emotionally. No wonder we're on a friggin' collision course. We're way too far apart! The wreck could be potentially fatal ... EEK!

I reflected earlier today about this ship and realized something ... WE pirates forgot to ask eachother a REALLY important question: What is most important to you, and WHY?

We have been too busy trying to debate (or defending) FACTS (which is kinda hard to debate, facts are either true or false so there is really no debating them ... but there is plenty of room for ARGUEMENT on the details & spin! and we're REALLY good at arguing those! hehe) ...

I really had NO clue, and apparently neither did the DNC, that people would be hyper-motivated and get to the polls based on a what they call "value"&"morals" rather than what we see as logically clear. And all this time, I thought liberals were considered the emotional voters.

Who would have thought that people who are strongly anti-abortion and anti-gay would come out in MASSES as they did? I was convinced that the everyone was making their decision based on the same issues that I was (thats pretty egotistical, isn't it?) .. I just ASSUMED that the issues were bundle into basically 2 categories .. foreign & domestic. Pretty cut & dry/black & white in my head and heart .. which is why I could NOT, for the life of me, understand why our republican pirates were voting for Bush knowing all of the facts of the last 4 years .... someone forgot to warn me that folks might cast their vote based solely on their personal morals and values, based on their religious/spiritual beliefs!!!

AND speaking of which: MORALS? and VALUES? Hey, I'm officially offended as a liberal! (wink) .. I hold my own morals & values very highly and proudly, but I don't think it is right (or righteous, if you will) to legislate them onto others (especially basic issues like religion, homosexuality, race etc ...). If we do so, we are NOT FREE. I just figured that was obvious to ALL Americans , you know "a gimme", "understood", "implied"... (thats what I get for figuring!).

This huge loss has been personally devastating to me as I know it has for others here. And I have so much to learn, so the loss has given me that, at least ... some reflective time to consider how/why others think the way they do, and I guess I have to admit that THAT is a little, eensy, teensy, tiny, shoestring-thin .. silver lining.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-10-2004 04:38 PM

p.s. that ramble above is a concession with a STRONG disagreement on the initial outcome ... Also, there are still too many unanswered questions that MUST be answered quickly and accurately ... Everything we love about America is at stake!

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-10-2004 08:46 PM

Cherry you do want the votes counted I have seen that you have posted that. But many of the things I believe you believe differently and that is fine with me.

Education: What I got from Shecoda's post is that she felt that those who did not educate themselves regarding this election and all of the issues were somehow thought to be ignorant by some of us on this forum. I disagree with that statement.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 11-10-2004 10:14 PM

Linnea wrote: excerpts from review of Noam Chomsky's book Media Control:

Chomsky’s backpocket classic on wartime propaganda and opinion control has been updated and expanded into a two-section book, and redesigned following the acclaimed format of his Open Media anti-war bestseller, 9-11. The new edition of Media Control also includes “The Journalist from Mars,” Chomsky’s 2002 talk on the media coverage of America’s “new war on terrorism.”

Chomsky begins by asserting two models of democracy—one in which the public actively participates, and one in which the public is manipulated and controlled. According to Chomsky “propaganda is to democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state,” and the mass media is the primary vehicle for delivering propaganda in the United States. From an examination of how Woodrow Wilson’s Creel Commission “suceeded, within six months, in turning a pacifist population into a hysterical, war-mongering population,” to Bush Sr.'s war on Iraq, Chomsky examines how the mass media and public relations industries have been used as propaganda to generate public support for going to war.

Chomsky touches on how the modern public relations industry has been influenced by Walter Lippmann’s theory of “spectator democracy,” in which the public is seen as a “bewildered herd” that needs to be directed, not empowered; and how the public relations industry in the United States focuses on “controlling the public mind,” and not on informing it.

http://www.sevenstories.com/book/index. ... 2100371450
This is interesting, Linnea. I believe that the media is one of our top problems in this country. What I can't understand is why the left has allowed the right to take this over, and haven't even pooled their money to compete in the market. Seems to me maybe Soros, et al, should have purchased some television and radio stations. Right now we'd be totally in the dark if it weren't for Air America. Was AAR totally a result of Franken's efforts? Any thoughts on why the left doesn't do more on these lines?
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

shecoda
Pirate

Post by shecoda » 11-10-2004 10:17 PM

Tiffany, the controversary I was referring to was Art Bell's active dislike of BPL. I wanted to keep on point not start a conversation on BPL, and whether it is good for the country. :)

I was only trying to make the point that people keep themselves ignorant, the information is out there and the government really can't at this time prevent anyone from educating themselves if they want to. I spend lots of time reading the mainstream media and popular talk shows as well a reading less mainstream papers and listening to less popular talk shows. I try to figure out things for myself as I suspect most everyone here does who seems to care about these issues. As I suspect you do.

The above mentioned quote (I suspect what is going, etc) was a direct response to the article posted above. I see no barriers to learning in this country. Knowledge is free for all who wish to participate. Formal education is expensive, but there is nothing wrong with a self educated person. I really wasn't thinking of the election at all when I posted above. Or now even. I was speaking in general terms regarding the statement in the article that seemed to state that our government was in the business of keeping people ignorant. What has that to do with the election? Cause I sure wasn't going there when I posted earlier or at this time.

Actually I was relieved because I thought I had finally found a thread in the P&G that wasn't about the outcome of the elections. I can clearly see all roads lead to the election returns. I don't know why since there are so many other lively topics to discuss. My bad.

And thank you for welcoming me.

tiffany
Pirate

Re: How To Control People

Post by tiffany » 11-11-2004 05:36 PM

dotcosm wrote: http://www.mindcontrolforums.com/pro-fr ... ntrol.html

How To Control People

Another technique is to buy both political parties so that after a while people will feel that no matter whether they vote for Candidate A or Candidate B, they will get the same policies. This will create great apathy and a belief that the political process is useless for effecting real change.

Sorry shecoda my mind is still on the election and when I read this I thought that is what you meant. I thought you were talking of those on either side of the election process in this forum.

Your comment:

I really thought you meant people on the forum with the above comment. You said "here"....I read into wrongly. I've been doing too much reading. Guess brain fog here. I apologize.

me what is that saying i think me bad.......hehhee;)
Last edited by tiffany on 11-11-2004 05:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-12-2004 12:10 PM

yes back to the media control bit... or how to control people....

The media used to be more diversified - lately they have or seem to have gone to a singularity for information source. IE stories from one source instead of individual reporters providing the information.

It reminds me of some old college classes - take 10 people show them all the same thing. Take the "thing" away and have the 10 write down what it was, etc. You might get 2 of 10 who are accurate.

The media has become the other 8 - only they simply rely on ONE viewpoint. They feed the people the singular viewpoint and expect the people to believe it. If they put it on enough news (tv,radio,etc) and it becomes the belief of the people. (whether it IS reality or not)

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-12-2004 12:58 PM

That's because you're watching Faux News, Cherry. Discerning folks do not soak it up like a sponge.

Have you seen Keith Olbermann lately?? He has a story you might (not) be interested in.

spaceprophet
Pirate

Re: How To Control People

Post by spaceprophet » 11-12-2004 01:59 PM

dotcosm wrote: One basic technique is to keep them ignorant. Educated people are not as easy to manipulate. Abolishing public education or restricting access to education would be the direct approach. That would spill the beans. The indirect approach is to control the education they receive.
Precisely. And that's the game plan you'll begin to see in Bush's second term. They plan to drastically cut education spending for three reasons:
  1. To reduce the budget deficit they created.
  2. Starve public education out so they can empower private education.
  3. So they can control the people that would've got an education if a cheaper public education was healthy and thriving.
    [/list=1]
    Originally posted by shecoda
    people keep themselves ignorant, the information is out there and the government really can't at this time prevent anyone from educating themselves if they want to.

Yes they can. By privatizing public education and making it too expensive for common folk to get it.
    Knowledge is free for all who wish to participate. Formal education is expensive, but there is nothing wrong with a self educated person.

Ever try to give somebody a copy of your library card instead of a diploma at a job interview? Somehow I don't think it would fly.

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”