Senator Kerry Concedes the Election to President Bush

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

racehorse
Pirate

Senator Kerry Concedes the Election to President Bush

Post by racehorse » 11-03-2004 11:16 AM

Senator John Kerry has just called President Bush and conceded the Presidential Election. Kerry will make a formal statement at 1PM EST.

Congratulations to President Bush on his historic win in receiving more popular votes than any other Presidential candidate in History.

_______

http://www.drudgereport.com

OHIO
100% of Precincts Reporting
Bush 51% 2,794,346
Kerry 48% 2,658,125

NATIONAL
99% of Precincts Reporting
Bush 51% 58,301,150
Kerry 48% 54,782,697 O
Last edited by racehorse on 11-03-2004 11:44 AM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 11-03-2004 12:04 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/ ... index.html

Kerry calls Bush to concede
Bush to deliver victory speech Wednesday afternoon

Wednesday, November 3, 2004 Posted: 11:53 AM EST (1653 GMT)

(CNN) -- Democratic Sen. John Kerry phoned President Bush on Wednesday to concede the presidential election, aides in both camps said.

President Bush was to deliver a victory statement at 3 p.m. ET, Bush aides said. Sen. Kerry's aides said he was expected to make a concession speech at 1 p.m. ET at Faneuil Hall in Boston, Massachusetts.

A Kerry adviser said the campaign had concluded that the too-close-to-call battleground state of Ohio was not going to come through for the Democrats.

The adviser said there was no way to gain votes on Bush without an "exhaustive fight," something that would have "further divided this country."

Kerry's phone call came a few hours after White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card announced that the Bush campaign was convinced the president had won re-election.

"President Bush decided to give the respect of more time to reflect on the results of this election," Card told GOP supporters at the Reagan Federal Building and International Trade Center in Washington.

"We are convinced that President Bush has won re-election with at least 286 electoral votes," Card said. (Transcript of Card's comments)

Ahead in the popular vote by more than 3.7 million votes, the president moved tantalizingly close to winning an Electoral College majority with a lead in the key battleground state of Ohio, though the Buckeye State remained too close for CNN to call. (Electoral College)

"President Bush's decisive margin of victory makes this the first presidential election since 1988 in which the winner received a majority of the popular vote," said Card, referring to the White House victory by Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush. "And in this election, President Bush received more votes than any presidential candidate in our country's history."

So far, Bush is projected to have won 28 states, with 254 electoral votes, and a win in Ohio would assure him of at least 274 votes, more than the 270 he needs for a majority Electoral College. (Small inroads make difference for Bush)

Kerry has a projected 252 electoral votes.

A top adviser for Kerry had said Wednesday morning the campaign would determine its plan of action after looking at the "real numbers" in Ohio. The adviser said the Kerry team "won't make this a mystery too long."

Sen. John Edwards told a crowd early Wednesday at Copley Square in Boston, Massachusetts: "We will fight for every vote. You deserve no less."

Card claimed an important psychological victory in the nation's popular vote and said that in addition to Ohio the campaign was putting Iowa and New Mexico in the "winner's column as well." (CNN has no projection yet for Iowa and New Mexico.)

Bush leads in Ohio by more than 136,000 votes, with 100 percent of precincts reporting, according to CNN data.

Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell issued orders for counties by 2 p.m. Wednesday to report total numbers of provisional ballots. Counting of those ballots will not begin until Thursday, according to Blackwell's directive.

It is not clear how long the ballot-counting will take. Initially, Blackwell said the counting of provisional and absentee ballots would not begin for 11 days.

He said he could not immediately put an estimate on the number of those ballots but said 250,000 might not be out of the realm of possibility.

While he said the exact number of provisional ballots was unknown, he said it is "trending toward 175,000."

Blackwell suggested that "everybody just take a deep breath and relax."

In another key battleground state, Kerry is projected the winner in Wisconsin.

Iowa election officials blamed broken machines, a delay in opening absentee ballots and apparent fatigue for delaying the secretary of state's report of a final count until some time Wednesday.

New Mexico is too close to call and will not release presidential election results until later Wednesday because thousands of absentee ballots remain uncounted, according to a spokesman for the secretary of state.

The key turning point in Tuesday's election came when Bush carried Florida, which the president won four years ago by just 537 votes after a lengthy dispute. This time around, though, there was no question who won the Sunshine State, where Bush's margin was more than 370,000 votes. (Special Report: America Votes 2004)

Few states switched from the party of four years ago. New Hampshire, which Bush narrowly won in 2000, went for Kerry. Bush has so far carried no state carried by Democrat Al Gore four years ago, although he leads in two, Iowa and New Mexico.

GOP projected to keep control of Congress
Republicans are projected to retain control of the House and Senate, adding to their majorities in both chambers with strong showings in Southern states. (Senate, House)

In South Dakota, former GOP Rep. John Thune claimed victory over the Senate's top Democrat, Minority Leader Tom Daschle.

GOP candidates are projected to win open Democratic seats in four Southern states and were ahead in a fifth, Florida. The party also is projected to keep vulnerable Republican seats in Oklahoma and Kentucky and to lead in a third, Alaska.

The only GOP setbacks were projected in Illinois, where rising Democratic star Barack Obama took the seat vacated by retiring GOP Sen. Peter Fitzgerald, and in Colorado, where Democratic Attorney General Ken Salazar is projected to beat beer magnate Pete Coors in the race to replace retiring Republican Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell. (Senate)

Those results, coupled with the projected Daschle loss in South Dakota, would give the Republicans a net gain of four seats, making the lineup in the new Senate 55 Republicans, 44 Democrats and one independent.

Daschle could be the first Senate party leader to lose his seat in 52 years.

In the battle for the 435 House seats, Republicans are projected to retain their majority, winning 230 seats -- a net gain of at least four seats. CNN projects Democrats with 202 seats and one independent. (House)

Two more seats will be decided in a Louisiana runoff in December.

GOP candidates are projected to pick up six Democratic seats -- five in Texas, where a controversial redistricting plan pushed by House Majority Leader Tom DeLay redrew the state's map to make it more Republican-friendly.

In addition, two other veteran Texas Democrats forced by the new map to run against Republican incumbents -- Reps. Charles Stenholm and Martin Frost -- also are projected to lose.

Democrats are projected to take a Republican seat in Illinois, where Melissa Bean defeated veteran GOP Rep. Phil Crane.

If projections hold, it will be the sixth consecutive election in which the GOP has held the majority.

Of the 11 gubernatorial races, close contests are expected in Missouri, New Hampshire and Washington.

In Indiana, CNN is projecting a big win for former Bush administration official Mitch Daniels over Indiana Gov. Joe Kernan.

Ballot measures
Six months after gay and lesbian couples won the right to marry in Massachusetts, opponents of same-sex marriage struck back Tuesday, with voters in 11 states projected to approve constitutional amendments codifying marriage as exclusively being between a man and a woman.

California voters, who faced 16 statewide ballot measures, are projected to pass a measure to establish a constitutional right to conduct research using stem cells and to authorize $3 billion for such research.

A ballot measure approving the use of marijuana for medical reasons is projected to pass in Montana.

Colorado voters are projected to reject a proposal to change its winner-take-all to allocated electoral votes for presidential candidates.

A Florida measure to require parental notification before minors can obtain an abortion is projected to passed.

Gambling is another hot ballot issue, with six states deciding 13 measures.

CNN's John King and Kelly Wallace contributed to this report.
racehorse

alphacentaura
Pirate

Post by alphacentaura » 11-03-2004 12:13 PM

Congratulations to my Republican friends for their victory.

My deepest & heartfelt condolences to my Democratic friends for your loss.

May the force be with all of you and our planet earth.....sadly I think we're going to need it, more than ever before.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-03-2004 12:18 PM

It was quite the night. Again we have the skewed EXIT polls... but here we are again with skewed "exit" polls.

The biggest thing was watching the news casters... again.

Now perhaps we can concentrate on other matters.

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 11-03-2004 12:19 PM

May the force be with all of you and our planet earth.....sadly I think we're going to need it, more than ever before.

I think you are sooo right Alpha, and thank you.
Wiggle your big toe.

Lord Moon
Pirate

We have entered a dark time...

Post by Lord Moon » 11-03-2004 12:31 PM

this election will be paid for in blood, and pain for generations to come. American's will be reduced to serfs who serve feudal corporatations, while Millions of Americans will have to search the trash cans of our corporate rulers just to eat... civil unrest, will mean that America must occupy it's own cities with a second army to keep order, while millions will be sent to relocation camps, to starve behind razor wire..

Our children, will cease laughing, our seniors will pray for death to end their pain and suffering...and those who can will leave this once great nation to it's end... may God protect those who resisted this evil moment, a black mark on our history....

BenSlain
Pirate

Re: We have entered a dark time...

Post by BenSlain » 11-03-2004 01:31 PM

Lord Moon wrote: this election will be paid for in blood, and pain for generations to come. American's will be reduced to serfs who serve feudal corporatations, while Millions of Americans will have to search the trash cans of our corporate rulers just to eat... civil unrest, will mean that America must occupy it's own cities with a second army to keep order, while millions will be sent to relocation camps, to starve behind razor wire..

Our children, will cease laughing, our seniors will pray for death to end their pain and suffering...and those who can will leave this once great nation to it's end... may God protect those who resisted this evil moment, a black mark on our history....

:rolleyes: Is this necessary? Are we going to get 4 years of Darth Vader comic book talk from you now? What world are you living in? Your profile says you are a therapist. I would love to be a fly on your wall next time someone with depression comes to get therapy from you. From the tone of your post I would guess you just hand them razor blades and send them on their way.

Can we get back to the real world now and stop with all this juvenile talk. There are real problems on this planet and things YOU can do to change them. But talking about relocation camps and preying for death just gets you laughed out of the room. It's all this crap from the lunatic fringe that probably lost Kerry this election.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 11-03-2004 01:46 PM

NeelyGirl wrote: I think you are sooo right Alpha, and thank you.

Yep! Bush'll use this as a carte blanche mandate to do anything he (and his masters) dang well please.... Not that it would be much different with Kerry at the helm. I knew this election was Alien vs. Predator - No matter who wins ... we lose. Still, ... if I had to pick a death to face ... I'd rather be taken out by the latter than the former. Like Betty Davis once said, "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"
S.Madewell - "If the truth shall kill a man ... let him die!"

Post by Guest » 11-03-2004 02:12 PM

Just remember the predictions Sean David Morton made last night - that Bush would succumb to the year "0" curse in 2006 or 2007. Sean was correct in his prediction of the "decisive" victory for Bush, while Sylvia Browne was proven wrong. Sean also re-iterated his prediction that Osama BinLaden has been dead for over 2 years and that recent tape was a fake.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-03-2004 02:46 PM

Ben I need to ask you a question. Do you believe you are being trained in a differing way as a policeman?

Has Homeland Securtiy caused or trained you to look at the individuals in this Country in a different way i.e., crowds, rebellion, attackers, etc. These are important questions the people of this Country need to know. Are our policeman going to be against us in a police state?

Also Ben, the people of this Country are very very angry at what has been done to them and theirs by Bush. Do you have any clue of that? By your comments I wonder.

I see trouble on the horizon, will you be the one to put me in jail or worse as you are ordered to. I fear you will be put in the position of taking peoples rights away. Tell me it won't be so.

The black box's had no way to verify where the info went, whether it was hacked, or deliberately hi jacked. 5% more for Bush where the machines had no paper back up and not in line with the exit polls. Those voting for Kerry but machines reading Bush. Machines already having votes in them before being used to vote. Diebold CEO telling Bush he will make sure he wins.

Ben what do you think about these things? Can these be brushed off so easily, when millions more voted, exit polls remained correct except, in the areas where no paper trail was available.

I don't consider Bush my President. I consider him an illegal person in the White House for the second time. I feel violated. Truly I do and I'm not being dramatic. This is how I feel today. That this Country is not what they tell us it is. We don't count and our real votes do not count.

Thanks for listening and yes I still think your a good guy!:(

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-03-2004 03:03 PM

tiffany wrote: Ben I need to ask you a question. Do you believe you are being trained in a differing way as a policeman?

Has Homeland Securtiy caused or trained you to look at the individuals in this Country in a different way i.e., crowds, rebellion, attackers, etc. These are important questions the people of this Country need to know. Are our policeman going to be against us in a police state?

One part at a time.

This is easy. The answer is no. We have ongoing training for most of our careers. Sure homeland security has made a difference. But it's not a big "police state" conspiracy. What it has been is training to REINFORCE the training we have always had. To be more diligent and not lackadaisical in our duties. But it is the same training we always have.

Look. When a bunch of people gather in the streets for a protest or any reason. There is going to be a police presents. Sometimes people get arrested. But not for what they are protesting. They get arrested because during the gathering of free people they do something against the law. Most of the time what they are doing is to impede someone else's rights as a American.

Now before you go posting links to something some stupid cop did to someone remember cops are people and some do some stupid things. Some even break the law. They are people just like you. Some are bad and some are good. Just like people everywhere

ALSO...At role call nobody ever gets up in front of the room and plans how were gonna trample your rights and take one on the chin for the "police state". That's just silly. And now that I think of it, a police state, if it ever happens, will have nothing to do with the police. Most would refuse that order. It would have to be done by the military. And I think most of them would refuse also

It's just not and won't happen.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-03-2004 03:04 PM

tiffany wrote:
Also Ben, the people of this Country are very very angry at what has been done to them and theirs by Bush. Do you have any clue of that? By your comments I wonder.

Not everybody agrees with that Tiff.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-03-2004 03:08 PM

tiffany wrote:
I see trouble on the horizon, will you be the one to put me in jail or worse as you are ordered to. I fear you will be put in the position of taking peoples rights away. Tell me it won't be so.

The only way you will ever be arrested is if you break a law. But don't worry there isn't any trouble on the horizon.

And ya know.....Sometimes getting arrested is a good thing. I've arrested people for civil unrest and told them I admired them while doing so. And so did my fellow officers.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-03-2004 03:13 PM

tiffany wrote:
The black box's had no way to verify where the info went, whether it was hacked, or deliberately hi jacked. 5% more for Bush where the machines had no paper back up and not in line with the exit polls. Those voting for Kerry but machines reading Bush. Machines already having votes in them before being used to vote. Diebold CEO telling Bush he will make sure he wins.

Ben what do you think about these things? Can these be brushed off so easily, when millions more voted, exit polls remained correct except, in the areas where no paper trail was available.

I don't consider Bush my President. I consider him an illegal person in the White House for the second time. I feel violated. Truly I do and I'm not being dramatic. This is how I feel today. That this Country is not what they tell us it is. We don't count and our real votes do not count.

Thanks for listening and yes I still think your a good guy!:(

I think you need to listen or read Kerry's speech today. He would say that statement is silly talk. Don't downplay his great run for the Whitehorse by demeaning his hard fought campaign.

Polls are polls. There were a lot that were wrong and they changed every day. Even the pollsters are the first to say they don't always hit the mark.

I like you to.:o

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-03-2004 03:15 PM

oops.....I meant whitehouse.

whitehorse...:rolleyes:

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”