Lets Give It A Rest---O.K.????

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Gotrox
Pirate

Lets Give It A Rest---O.K.????

Post by Gotrox » 10-17-2004 07:18 PM

Getting very tiresome isn't it? I mean, I check the board daily and find 1/2 or better of the posts spinning the election for party "a" or party "b", and each thread seems to be designed to raise the hackles of the opposing view.
Honestly, it's too late in the game to try converting the other side, and I'll bet Money there aren't many undecided voters here.

Vote your party and then the losing side can snivvle and whine on the third, alright?

feetsie
Pirate

Post by feetsie » 10-17-2004 07:27 PM

Hear, Here!!!!!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 10-17-2004 07:48 PM

What - and end all this petty name calling and hatred?!? That's not very patriotic and damned un-American! :rolleyes:

Good idea, Gotrox, but don't expect any compliance or interest. In fact you should prepare to have much of their "passion" turned on you.

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 10-17-2004 09:29 PM

ya---I know---I know----but at least I tried.

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 10-17-2004 09:36 PM

What do you mean end it now.Hell's bells,it will be worse on November 3 and for days to come.The accusation mills are already geared up and ready to go.

:-)

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 10-17-2004 10:53 PM

Gotox I'm afraid it's got no brakes til the election......then one side will brake while the other side swerves to miss the bull...hehehe:D

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-17-2004 11:00 PM

Gotrox, you ain't seen nothing yet! What we have experienced for the past four years is merely the ELECTORAL phase of the conflict, the phase wherein it is still possible to believe that some supposedly worthwhile end can be achieved, or least prevented, by means of the ballot box. When the winner is declared, we will then start to get into the real --- and far, far more intense --- conflict. And where does it end, Gotrox? Where does it end? You should read up on the wars of religion in Europe between 1517 and 1648. At numerous points during these 131 years, whole communities (quite apart from whatever else was going on outside the communities) would pour into the streets in order to hack each other to pieces. They say, for example, that Germany lost half of its population during the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). Read up about it, Gotrox, and ask yourself whether, under certain circumstances, it could not happen here. There. And everywhere. In fact, over every square inch of the entire planet, this time...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 10-17-2004 11:38 PM

CaptainBeyond wrote: What do you mean end it now.Hell's bells,it will be worse on November 3 and for days to come.The accusation mills are already geared up and ready to go.

Yeah...it looks like its going to be another one of those. I remember Letterman's opening line in 2000 after the polls closed..."We have no President!"

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 10-17-2004 11:53 PM

joequinn wrote: would pour into the streets in order to hack each other to pieces. They say, for example, that Germany lost half of its population during the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). Read up about it, Gotrox, and ask yourself whether, under certain circumstances, it could not happen here.

hmmmmmmmmmmm......No. I can honestly say that I will not go into the street and hack people up if my guy doesn't win. And can say with high confidence that nobody else will either. I don't think you think it will either. This ain't the 1600's. Although it was a very dramatic post on your part. like they usually are.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 10-18-2004 12:09 AM

What makes you think the passion will die the day after the election?

Remember when the invasion of Iraq began? There were many passionate posts then, especially from those of us who were absolutely opposed. We yelled and ranted day in and day out about all sorts of things, from poor equipment, an illegal war, inadequate numbers of troops to poor planning and much, much more. This was before[/I] the war was launched. Then came the day of BushCo's "Mission Accomplished" and his beefcake strut on the AC. Someone posted, "Gee you guys, the war is over! Can't you all just shut up now?". Well... it ain't over, is it?

btw: I enjoy studying religion because of it's obvious deep impact on our world society, both now and historically, but I am not interested personally because I am an atheist. It doesn't bother me at all that many folks care passionately about religion as long as the dialogue doesn't end in fisticuffs (or worse).

If you are a 'political atheist', might I suggest that you either read and learn, or ignore political topics altogether. Why let other's passions bother you?

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-18-2004 12:38 AM

Ben Slain, what makes you think that this ISN'T the 17th century, where the slaughter of tens of thousands of people was perfectly appropriate, provided that it was done for the honor and glory of God? What make you think that that this ISN'T the 17th century? The PC that sits right in front of you as you post on THE FANTASTIC FORUM, huh?
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 10-18-2004 04:11 AM

If you are a 'political atheist', might I suggest that you either read and learn, or ignore political topics altogether. Why let other's passions bother you? -mudwoman
I try to read but when there is more 'passion' than information it's very hard. I read here all the time, when I can, and I learn volumes from some very bright pirates here but some of these very bright contributors can't make a point without belittling others. I don't mean you, of course, Sandy. These folks know who they are and have been called on it daily with no obvious acknowledgment or intent of maturing. It's a childish way to have a discussion and not productive at all. It only alienates, not educate. I want to learn from you all but not what is being taught with these 'tactics'. I guess it should be expected with all the negativity and mud-slinging in the campaigns.

Note: I'm not writing any of this here in a moderator's capacity. Just me, a lowly forum pirate seeking peace and enlightenment on these high, choppy seas...

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 10-18-2004 04:33 AM

Preach it, brother Dale!! ;)

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 10-18-2004 07:22 AM

dale65802 wrote: I try to read but when there is more 'passion' than information it's very hard. I read here all the time, when I can, and I learn volumes from some very bright pirates here but some of these very bright contributors can't make a point without belittling others. I don't mean you, of course, Sandy. These folks know who they are and have been called on it daily with no obvious acknowledgment or intent of maturing. It's a childish way to have a discussion and not productive at all. It only alienates, not educate. I want to learn from you all but not what is being taught with these 'tactics'. I guess it should be expected with all the negativity and mud-slinging in the campaigns.

Note: I'm not writing any of this here in a moderator's capacity. Just me, a lowly forum pirate seeking peace and enlightenment on these high, choppy seas...
Thanks, Dale. As a friend says, exactly! ;)
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 10-18-2004 08:42 AM

Yep,Nov 3 going to be a big day.Let's hope for non violence!

http://www.nov3.us/

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”