Kerry Lesbian Remark Angers Cheney ~

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Kerry Lesbian Remark Angers Cheney ~

Post by NeelyGirl » 10-14-2004 03:26 PM

~FORT MYERS, Fla. - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) called himself "a pretty angry father" on Thursday after Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) mentioned their gay daughter during the final presidential debate — comments Kerry said were meant to be positive about families with gay children.

The vice president's wife, Lynne Cheney, called Kerry "not a good man" and his remarks about daughter Mary Cheney "a cheap and tawdry political trick." Meanwhile, Elizabeth Edwards, the wife of vice presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites), suggested in a radio interview that Mrs. Cheney might feel "a certain degree of shame" because her daughter is a lesbian.

Mary Cheney, one of two Cheney daughters, is openly gay and an official in the Bush-Cheney campaign. The vice president has spoken at length about his daughter's sexuality and his view of gay relationships, even disagreeing with the president about the need for a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriages.

Asked Wednesday night by debate moderator Bob Schieffer whether homosexuality is a choice, Kerry said: "We're all God's children, Bob, and I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was. She's being who she was born as. I think if you talk to anybody, it's not a choice."

Kerry issued a statement Thursday after the Cheneys had expressed anger over his remarks: "I love my daughters. They love their daughter. I was trying to say something positive about the way strong families deal with this issue."

Cheney told supporters at a rally Thursday in Fort Myers, "You saw a man who will do and say anything to get elected, and I am not just speaking as a father here, although I am a pretty angry father." He made no other reference to Kerry's remarks about his daughter.

Mrs. Cheney, introducing her husband in a post-debate appearance Wednesday night in Coraopolis, Pa., also avoided a specific reference to her daughter's sexuality when she made clear she thought Kerry had crossed a line into family privacy.

"Now, you know, I did have a chance to assess John Kerry once more and now the only thing I could conclude: This is not a good man," Mrs. Cheney said. "Of course, I am speaking as a mom, and a pretty indignant mom. This is not a good man. What a cheap and tawdry political trick."

In an interview Thursday with ABC Radio, Elizabeth Edwards said of Mrs. Cheney: "She's overreacted to this and treated it as if it's shameful to have this discussion. I think that's a very sad state of affairs. ... I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences. ... It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response."

Cheney expressed no objection when Edwards brought up Mary Cheney during their debate. Edwards expressed "respect for the fact that they're willing to talk about the fact that they have a gay daughter, the fact that they embrace her. It's a wonderful thing."

Cheney thanked his opponent for the "kind words he said about my family and our daughter. I appreciate that very much."

Bush said in their debate he does not know whether homosexuality is a choice or fate. He and Kerry spoke of their belief that marriage is the union of man and woman, but the president supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage and the Democrat does not. Kerry supports giving gay couples many of the civil rights that come with marriage, while stopping short of conferring that status on same-sex couples.

In an interview in the Oct. 26 issue of the gay magazine The Advocate, Kerry said gay Americans should support his candidacy because he will appoint Supreme Court justices who will fight for equality and a fair interpretation of the equal protection clause and due process. He said he pays a political price for opposing attempts at "gay bashing" in the Senate.

"The difference between me and George Bush (news - web sites) will be the difference to gay and lesbian couples and individuals across this country — whether rights are afforded them or whether or not they are discriminated against," Kerry said. He added, "If people take a walk on those things, life's going to be worse."

Associated Press

LINK>>>>
----------------------------------

Why is any one confused or even angry as to why Kerry brought this point up, IMHO it is very relevant.:confused:
Wiggle your big toe.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 10-14-2004 03:51 PM

Yep ..... what's the big deal? Mrs. Edwards said it best ...

In an interview Thursday with ABC Radio, Elizabeth Edwards said of Mrs. Cheney: "She's overreacted to this and treated it as if it's shameful to have this discussion. I think that's a very sad state of affairs. ... I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences. ... It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response."

I'm glad the Cheney's are talking publically about their anger ... it only further shows that their own intolerance and frankly makes them look LESS family oriented.

bluejello4
Pirate

Post by bluejello4 » 10-14-2004 04:08 PM

I honestly believe the more it gets out that they have a gay daughter whom they support, the more votes Bush loses.

I think a part of Bush's base are hardcore religious types. The kind of ppl that firmly believe gays will be burning in hell for all eternity and that gays should be herded into a facility somewhere out of sight.

Once those Bush supporters realize they are in a way voting for a gay person, or at least voting for someone who supports gays, they will reconsider their vote or not vote at all.

spiritme
Pirate

Post by spiritme » 10-14-2004 04:18 PM

It sure shows they are saying " my daughter is gay and I don't want to talk about it!
how does that make her feel? can you imagine? I would be asking myself that all important question as to why they don't want to talk about it. after all maybe she wants to come out in a big way....seriously.....maybe her thought was to become public and start the debates of rights of gays..!! who knows...?
spiritme
:confused:

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 10-14-2004 04:26 PM

The most ironic thing about this entire story is that most liberals prolly already knew that Mary Cheney is gay but have never cared one way or the other. It just isn't an issue for people who naturally do not discriminate.

If her sexual preference is a reason that the fundies WON'T vote for Bush/Cheney ... well thats just ironical and very very sad. It says WAY more about them than it does about her.

For SHAME!

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 10-14-2004 04:37 PM

Kerry was just using her as an example in saying he did not believe homosexuality was a lifestyle choice. Cheney did not object to Edwards' mentioning her as his "gay daughter," in the VP debate, but I think he objected to Kerry's use of the word "lesbian."

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 10-14-2004 04:40 PM

Kerry screwed up, He showed a total lack of respect. He lost some votes from Mothers. How would you like it if your opponent was talking about your daughter only to further his cause.

If you cant see the disrespect in that, Then I guess , that would explain alot.
-Sinner

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 10-14-2004 04:43 PM

John Kerry has issued an formal statement:
I regret that some people took offense at the fact I mentioned the name of Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of the Vice President and Lynn Cheney, in last night's debate. My reference to Mary Cheney, who is a lesbian, was in response to a question, originally directed at the president, about whether he thought the sexual orientation of gays and lesbians, including, one presumes, Mary Cheney, is a matter of choice. I believe that Mary Cheney, like most openly gay lesbians in this country, would take offense at the suggestion that her sexual orientation was simply a matter of choice. I believed then, and continue to believe, that Mary's lesbianism is a fundamental part of who she is, and I attempted, perhaps imperfectly, to express my own support for her, as well as for other lesbians who do not happen to be daughters of the Vice President and Lynn Cheney. However, out of deference to the wishes of the Vice Presidnet and Lynn Cheney, who clearly care deeply about their lesbian daughter Mary, and do not want her lesbianism to be the focus of this campaign, I will no longer discuss Mary or make any additional references to her status as a proud, openly gay lesbian, or to the fact that the Vice President and Lynn Cheney are proud parents of an openly gay lesbian daughter.
Now, unless Dickie Poo want's to keep flogging this for THEIR benefit... it should be put to rest.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 10-14-2004 04:53 PM

He said lesbian 10 times. Driving the point home;)
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 10-14-2004 04:56 PM

Sinner wrote: Kerry screwed up, He showed a total lack of respect. He lost some votes from Mothers. How would you like it if your opponent was talking about your daughter only to further his cause.

If you cant see the disrespect in that, Then I guess , that would explain alot.
Mary Cheney is a 35 year old adult, who is btw, politically active and involved in her dad's campaign. Cheney himself has spoken numerous times about her being a lesbian.

I am a mother and if my daughter were gay, and some one had the intelligence to stand on a national platform and speak the TRUTH, that gayness is not a "life style choice", I would be very, very grateful.

bluejello4
Pirate

Post by bluejello4 » 10-14-2004 04:56 PM

haha, see

I promise you, when Kerry/Edwards and whoever are planning by themselves in a room somewhere, part of the discussion with this is to make sure Bush supporters know they are supporting a lesbian (in a sense). Some of them may have not known.

I guarentee that it will lose Bush votes. They might not vote for Kerry, but they will think twice about voting for Bush and may just stay home.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 10-14-2004 04:59 PM

Absolutely, brilliant statement made by Kerry.

If Dick was only opposed to the word LESBIAN and not the word GAY (as Edwards used) then that statement ought to really tick Cheney off (10 times in one statement ... eek, its such a naughty word!!)

This molehill can only be made into a mountain by Cheney himself. So I continue to say, let him rage about it being brought up. It only reveals this administrations intolerance on the subject.

It is a molehill, folks. If you're having a problem recognizing that fact, then blame Bob Scheiffer for posing the IMPORTANT question.
Last edited by CindyLouWho on 10-14-2004 05:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 10-14-2004 05:02 PM

bluejello4 wrote: I guarentee that it will lose Bush votes. They might not vote for Kerry, but they will think twice about voting for Bush and may just stay home.

Which is exactly my point. Shame on them if they do.

;)

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 10-14-2004 05:10 PM

mudwoman wrote: Mary Cheney is a 35 year old adult, who is btw, politically active and involved in her dad's campaign. Cheney himself has spoken numerous times about her being a lesbian.

I am a mother and if my daughter were gay, and some one had the intelligence to stand on a national platform and speak the TRUTH, that gayness is not a "life style choice", I would be very, very grateful.

It's not, and AMEN Mudwoman;)
Wiggle your big toe.

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 10-14-2004 05:17 PM

"It's not"...menaing No it's not a lifestyle choice:)

clearing that up...
Wiggle your big toe.

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”