Kerry's New Call to Arms/Newsweek

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Kerry's New Call to Arms/Newsweek

Post by Linnea » 09-19-2004 08:43 PM

Kerry's New Call to Arms

Battle Plan: Kerry was to spend the fall on the economy. Then came a new team of advisers—and a fresh focus for the homestretch

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6039833/site/newsweek

By Richard Wolffe and Susannah Meadows
Newsweek

Sept. 27 issue - Sitting in his black-leather swivel chair, with his trusty world atlas beside him, John Kerry huddled with his aides in the executive-style cabin at the front of his campaign jet. Kerry was preparing to accuse the president of failing to tell the truth about "the mess in Iraq"—part of an aggressive fall strategy to challenge George W. Bush on the war. But before he spoke to the National Guard convention in Las Vegas, Kerry sought the advice of yet another sounding board on his plane: former four-star general Wes Clark. Kerry knew from Vietnam what it felt like to face the bullets without the support of the folks back home. So how, one of his senior staff wanted to know, would Kerry's attacks go down now with the troops in Iraq? "Look, the soldiers are debating it themselves on the ground," Clark reassured Kerry's inner circle. "They're coming back and they're incredibly critical. You have to call it like it is."

New direction: John Kerry, shown here at a rally in Albuquerque, N.M., plans to focus the remainder of his campaign on Iraq

bluejello4
Pirate

Post by bluejello4 » 09-19-2004 08:48 PM

I guess I'm in a swing state now? =x

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-19-2004 09:42 PM

Great article, Linn... just read the whole thing. Thanks for posting it.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 09-19-2004 10:09 PM

Thanks for posting this, Linn. I just read the whole article, too, and it looks hopeful.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”