Iris
Pirate

Iraq had no WMD: the final verdict

Post by Iris » 09-18-2004 03:48 PM

Julian Borger in Washington
Saturday September 18, 2004
The Guardian

The comprehensive 15-month search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq has concluded that the only chemical or biological agents that Saddam Hussein's regime was working on before last year's invasion were small quantities of poisons, most likely for use in assassinations.
A draft of the Iraq Survey Group's final report circulating in Washington found no sign of the alleged illegal stockpiles that the US and Britain presented as the justification for going to war, nor did it find any evidence of efforts to reconstitute Iraq's nuclear weapons programme.

It also appears to play down an interim report which suggested there was evidence that Iraq was developing "test amounts" of ricin for use in weapons. Instead, the ISG report says in its conclusion that there was evidence to suggest the Iraqi regime planned to restart its illegal weapons programmes if UN sanctions were lifted.

Charles Duelfer, the head of the ISG, has said he intends to deliver his final report by the end of the month. It is likely to become a heated issue in the election campaign.

President George Bush now admits that stockpiles have not been found in Iraq but claimed as recently as Thursday that "Saddam Hussein had the capability of making weapons, and he could have passed that capability on to the enemy".

The draft Duelfer report, according to the New York Times, finds no evidence of a capability, but only of an intention to rebuild that capability once the UN embargo had been removed and Iraq was no longer the target of intense international scrutiny.

Advertiser links
Save Now - 21st Century Insurance
Save $300 on auto insurance and get more coverage and more...

21st.com

Motor Vehicle Insurance
Are you a driver over 50? You could save up to $300 in...

aarp.thehartford.com

Drive Away with Savings
Auto insurance from the American Express Property Casualty...

americanexpress.com
The finding adds weight to Mr Bush's assertions on the long-term danger posed by the former Iraqi leader, but it also suggests that, contrary to the administration's claims, diplomacy and containment were working prior to the invasion.

The draft report was handed to British, US and Australian experts at a meeting in London earlier this month, according to the New York Times. It largely confirms the findings of Mr Duelfer's predecessor, David Kay, who concluded "we were almost all wrong" in thinking Saddam had stockpiled weapons. The Duelfer report goes into greater detail.

Mr Kay's earlier findings mentioned the existence of a network of laboratories run by the Iraqi intelligence service, and suggested that the regime could be producing "test amounts" of chemical weapons and researching the use of ricin in weapons.

Subsequent inspections of the clandestine labs, under Mr Duelfer's leadership, found they were capable of producing small quantities of lethal chemical and biological agents, more useful for assassinations of individuals than for inflicting mass casualties.

Mr Duelfer, according to the draft, does not exclude the possibility that some weapons materials could have been smuggled out of Iraq before the war, a possibility raised by the administration and its supporters. However, the report apparently produces no significant evidence to support the claim. Nor does it find any evidence of any action by the Saddam regime to convert dual-use industrial equipment to weapons production.

"I think we know exactly how this is going to play out," said Joseph Cirincione, a proliferation expert at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

"You'll see a very elaborate spin operation. But there's not much new here from what the ISG reported before," he said. "There are still no weapons, no production of weapons and no programmes to begin the production of weapons. What we're left with here is that Saddam Hussein might have had the desire to rebuild the capability to build those weapons."

"Well, lots of people have desire for these weapons. Lots of people have intent. But that's not what we went to war for."

The motives for war, meanwhile, came under fresh scrutiny last night as the Telegraph reported that Tony Blair was warned in Foreign Office papers a year before the invasion of the scale of dealing with a post-Saddam Iraq.

The Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, Sir Menzies Campbell, said that if authenticated, the papers "demonstrate that the government agreed with the Bush administration on regime change in Iraq more than a year before military action was taken".

Mr Duelfer, who is reported to still be in Baghdad, did not respond to a request for an interview on the question of WMD yesterday.

Earlier this year, he told the Guardian that he expected his report would leave "some unanswered questions".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0, ... 29,00.html
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 09-18-2004 04:46 PM

Why was Saddam such an idiot then by constantly thwarting the weapons inspectors from the UN?Doesn't make much sense to me.

{:-)

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 09-18-2004 05:02 PM

He didn't kick 'em out this last time. They left because they were about to get bombed by the US.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 09-18-2004 05:49 PM

As we are discovering of late (sadly, too late), Iraq has many contentious factions. Only the threat of brutality (we are getting close) will suffice to control these factions. Integral to that threat was the presumption by the population that saddam still held WMDs and was willing to use them.

Now the population knows that saddam was bluffing, he had no WMDs..... but they know that we do.

They do not think that we will use them....... they could be wrong.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-18-2004 06:05 PM

Corvid wrote: As we are discovering of late (sadly, too late), Iraq has many contentious factions. Only the threat of brutality (we are getting close) will suffice to control these factions. Integral to that threat was the presumption by the population that saddam still held WMDs and was willing to use them.

Now the population knows that saddam was bluffing, he had no WMDs..... but they know that we do.

They do not think that we will use them....... they could be wrong.
I think your assessment is absolutely right on. Of course, this requires looking at the behavior of people in other cultures with something other than an ethnocentric view, which is difficult for many people, most especially Americans (sadly so), to do.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-18-2004 06:09 PM

Ethnocentrism at its finest! ;)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 09-18-2004 06:31 PM

We have good people working on the problem.............

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 09-18-2004 06:33 PM

Don't you dare laugh..... the lil blowmonkey is DUMBER than this guy.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 09-19-2004 07:53 AM

CaptainBeyond wrote: Why was Saddam such an idiot then by constantly thwarting the weapons inspectors from the UN?Doesn't make much sense to me.

GET IT: Saddam was as capable of spin as Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, Rove and the lying Colon Bowel.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 09-19-2004 08:47 AM

All you had to do is ask me!!

:D :D :D

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 09-19-2004 09:16 AM

Probably you are all correct,but still,what did Saddam have to gain by pissing off most of the world,the UN etc.?I don't see the benefit from doing such a thing.Was he merely delusional?

{:-)

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 09-19-2004 11:39 AM

Probably you are all correct,but still,what did Saddam have to gain by pissing off most of the world,the UN etc.?I don't see the benefit from doing such a thing.Was he merely delusional?

Simple, Saddam hated America and the UN.

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 09-19-2004 11:57 AM

Corvid wrote: Don't you dare laugh..... the lil blowmonkey is DUMBER than this guy.

Corvid, I did laugh, and openly, too! HA HA HA

Joolz, I live near Gollywood, er, I mean, Hollywood. Isn't that where America's greatest kultural identifications can be seen, too? I love good Kulture. It's very brazen and bold, and true, too. It's like the best of humanity can be witnessed in Rambo, and ah, yes, the best of Schvartzy, too, real peace makers. There's lots of good violent films for peace, an excellent genre for the Kulture in the making. Then, in the south, and west, there is the wonderful mu-sick industry that spreads more great Kultural understandings, too. And the confident in-your-face hip-hop Kulture, just leaves me spinning. All of the great drug kulturalizations were just an accident waiting to "happen". Like Hitler said: Advertising makes it happen!

Ninerism

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 09-19-2004 12:07 PM

Joolz wrote: I think your assessment is absolutely right on. Of course, this requires looking at the behavior of people in other cultures with something other than an ethnocentric view, which is difficult for many people, most especially Americans (sadly so), to do.

Joolz and Corvid, well most Americans are still under the quaint notion that the degradations witnessed/photographed at Abu Ghraib were just merely on the order of high-school pranks-and- hazing, so not to worry. I just wish they would have some good olde fashioned beheadings, stick the heads on the posts, and display them in public places all over Iraq, and tell the Iraqi people that this is where Saddam was headed, but we got there just in time before him, y'know, to save them from themselves! It's maybe not really chock-full of logic, but they keep telling us that more violence will probably scare them into submission. I sure hope so! Maybe just a couple small nuclear bombs here and there, too?! OH, YES, that is a splended idea, too. Maybe just a few mosques blown to smithereens?! WOW! The SHOCK AND AWE of it all, the imagery of mass destruction, makes me want to weep with joy! I just love a good olde fashioned crusade for God. I am a good patriot, too! I love my God, my family, and my dogs! And mostly I LOVE HUMANITY, too!

We come to spread SHOCK AND AWE to the World's most EVIL DOERS. It's very Biblical, and it's all in Revelations, too. We are only God's servants.

Ninerism

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 09-19-2004 12:10 PM

As we are discovering of late (sadly, too late), Iraq has many contentious factions. Only the threat of brutality (we are getting close) will suffice to control these factions. Integral to that threat was the presumption by the population that saddam still held WMDs and was willing to use them.

Also Saddam believed 100% that the rest of the Arab world would rise up against America if they had an all out strike on Iraq. I guess he got his neighbours completely wrong, it happens.

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”