Post by Iris » 09-18-2004 03:44 PM

CONGRESS APPROVES AMERICAN ATTACK ON IRAN: War by 2006

News : War & Peace
House OKs Pre-emptive U.S. Attack Against Iran
by Trish Schuh
NYC.Indymedia.org
15 May 2004

GOTO: http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display_any/93431

Undeterred by the results of pre-emptive war in Iraq, the House of Representatives passed a non-binding resolution May 6 authorizing pre-emptive military strikes against Iran. The vote was 376-3.

It [Iran] has engaged in a systematic campaign of deception and manipulation to hide its true intentions and keep its large scale nuclear efforts a secret, said Dan Burton (R-Indiana).

The resolution urges nations that have signed the Treaty on the Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons (See P. 13) to ?use any and all appropriate means to deter, dissuade and prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. It also demands that the European Union, Asian nations, and Russia cease future commercial and energy trade with the Islamic Republic. Russia is the main contractor for Iran-s nuclear grid.

House members said the legislation is in line with the Bush Doctrine of preventive war, and creates a legal framework for later sanctions and military options against Iranian nuclear sites. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) and Pete Stark (D-Calif.) both condemned the bill, noting its similarity to the law that permitted a preemptive war on Iraq.

The bills- adoption capped a year of anti-Iranian efforts in Congress.

A U.S. plan for military action against Iran has been complete since May 2003, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. Under the plan, the U.S. would strike the Arak, Natanz, Isfahan and Bushehr installations with precision missiles launched from Iraq as well as Iran-s northern neighbors, Georgia and Azerbaijan.

British and American intelligence and special forces units have been put on alert for an Iran conflict within 12 months, according to British news sources. Also. the Israeli newspaper Ha-aretz recently revealed that a special Mossad unit has been activated to draw up Osirik II (a reference to the 1981 Israeli bombing raids that destroyed the Osirak nuclear complex near Baghdad).

Mossad chief Meir Dagan declared Iranian nuclear capability to be the greatest threat ever faced by Israel. In December 2003, he informed the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee that an operation to annihilate Iran-s facilities had been finalized.

Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz also announced that under no circumstances would Israel tolerate nuclear weapons in Iranian possession, warning that by the end of 2004 Iran-s atomic development would
have reached the point of no return.

In response, former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said, If Israel committed such an error, we would give it a slap it would never forget- not only now but for all its history.

http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.ph ... adid=84251
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 09-18-2004 04:28 PM

I believe it will happen and probably fairly soon.I was amazed at the non partisan support though.Quite interesting!

{:-)

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 09-19-2004 12:03 AM

Anyone can be propagandized, threatened, or bought.

Just more proof that they all need to lose their jobs. It may not be a solution, but it's a start.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 09-19-2004 10:40 AM

Iris, and CaptainBeyond, I believe that I recently heard that Iran has three times the population as Iraq. Also, they are supposedly heavily armed, unlike Iraq, which suffered great military defeat under the BUSH ONE & BRIT WAR. So, how many American troops will need to die in Iran, AND how many Iranians, civilians, women and children and young men will need to be maimed and killed, too?

KOFI ANNAN, Secretary General of the United Nations, stated just recently in ENGLAND -- SEE MY RECENT THREAD posted Saturday, Sept. 18, 2004 -- that it was the UN opinion that the American war in IRAQ was NOT LEGAL!

So, with the same wording and reasoning we are planning our war of aggression against IRAN now, I must assume that our preemptive WAR AGGRESSIONS will be considered illegal by the United Nations.

Do we really support the UN, or is it a fabrication, an invention of our imaginations, useful only when we agree to follow its own resolutions?

I think that we are not following our own advice about the importance of international RULE OF LAW, and that we are now the WAR AGGRESSORS who are manufacturing wars for Empire Building under PNAC.

Moreover, due to the support from Democrats and Republicans in Congress, I believe we have a totally corrupted system as revealed once again by Congress support for all things designed for the economic advantages of the military-INDUSTRIAL-CORPORATION complex.

PROJECT FOR A NEW AMERICAN CENTURY defined our WAR AGGESSIONS desired against IRAQ before anyone had ever heard '9-11' as a symbol for terrorism (our modern day version of PEARL HARBOR which was designed to be allowed to hit us to have us embrace war making). 9-11 IS OUR PEARL HARBOR! 9-11 IS A NORTHWOODS type event designed by the militarists now in control of the United States.

We no longer have a semblance of a tripartite form of government, since there are NO PUBLIC DISCUSSIONS or debates in CONGRESS occurring before WAR AGGRESSIONS are completely supported. THE PUBLIC HAS NO IN-PUT! All WAR ACTIONS are now merely rubber-stamped as a sure sign that OUR MILITARISTS and our MILITARY are in total control of the United States. Who needs a coup when we have our military-industrial complex to decide our fate, nationally and internationally?!

Moreover, we are kow-towed into believing that only REAL PATRIOTIC AMERICANS are allowed any national say which must be in support of all WAR MAKING policies. Thus, any dissent is now viewed as UN-AMERICAN, just as the ZEALOT MILLER stated at the RNC during his demagogic attack against John Kerry who was used as a symbol to attack any oppositions, and thus was an attack against ALL AMERICANS dissidents who dare to openly oppose and challenge any WAR MAKING policies.

This BUSH-CHENEY regime wants all oppositions made silent! This BUSH-CHENEY neo-con regime wants all dissident oppositions to be declared ANTI-AMERICAN! This NEO-CON NAZIFIED regime is using MCCARYTHISM tactics to an extreme, and American citizens had better challenge this madness openly and aggressively, or much worse will come marching down our streets. Why are the good Republicans, and Dem-dummies, not openly challenging this Bush-Cheney McCarthy-ist madness, at the very least?!

We see a virtual McCarthy-type dictator in the making, and no-one in Congress is challenging any of it. It will only grow more brazen as time goes on. The would-be emperor has no clothes.

Ninerism
Last edited by Ninerism on 09-19-2004 10:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 09-19-2004 11:02 AM

I am not in favor of this aggression,but apparently most of our congress is as evident by the vote.They tell us one thing while on the campaign trail then vote in an entirely different manner.

Our leaders voted overwhelmingly for aggression in Iraq as well as the Patriot acts and the above resolution,then have the nerve to blame it all on the other party.Nothing but a bunch of liars,the whole lot of them.

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 09-19-2004 11:43 AM

CaptainBeyond wrote: I am not in favor of this aggression,but apparently most of our congress is as evident by the vote.They tell us one thing while on the campaign trail then vote in an entirely different manner.

Our leaders voted overwhelmingly for aggression in Iraq as well as the Patriot acts and the above resolution,then have the nerve to blame it all on the other party.Nothing but a bunch of liars,the whole lot of them.

CaptainBeyond, I totally agree. More signs of controlled oppositions, and we all seem to join in the game....or, well, it's the only one we have got.

Rather disgusting all these war making aggressions that we try to define as "peacemaking preemptive invasions"........which the UN now states are illegal, per recent statement made by KOFI ANNAN, Secretary General of the UNITED NATIONS, who recently stated so in England.

There goes our "respecto" for international RULE OF LAW. But, hey, its kinka like the Golden Rule: Thems thats gots the Gold makes the rules!

Ninerism

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-19-2004 11:55 AM

..and what has the UN been saying or the nuclear proliferation group??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3669008.stm
sept 18th, 2004

Iran given new nuclear 'deadline'

The International Atomic Energy Agency has passed a resolution calling on Iran to suspend uranium enrichment - a key process used to make nuclear weapons.

It also asked Iran to grant access to IAEA inspectors and provide them with any further information needed.

The resolution imposes an indirect deadline of 25 November, when the IAEA board of governors is next set to meet.
(((More on above URL)))

similar story:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... iran_dc_59

UN Calls on Iran to Freeze Nuclear Enrichment
also sept 18,2004

ahh but this paragraph within this story is very interesting:
- - -
"France, Britain and Germany formally submitted a toughly worded draft resolution to the U.N. International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Friday which called on Tehran to immediately freeze its uranium enrichment program."
- - -
seems US is not alone in this bit on IRAN nuclear

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 09-19-2004 12:19 PM

My God, the post is big news, and if anybody but Iris had posted it, then I would have doubted its veracity!

But what of it? All that the Congress has done is put itself on the right side (or, more precisely, ahead of the curve) of the history of the American Empire. Powell has already begun to state publicly that there is a possibility of civil war in Iraq leading to the tripartite division of the country. Kurdistan (in the north as a mega-Chechnya); Iraq proper in the Sunni triangle; and a briefly independent Shia South, which will almost certainly join itself to Iran, sooner or later. If he wins the election, Bush can certainly say that he has received a mandate from the American people for his preventive war doctrine (which dismantles, at a single stroke, more than 200 years of American foreign policy). And he can employ that preventive war doctrine far more easily with Iran than he did with Iraq. All that he has to say is that he is conquering Iran so that Iran does not conquer the Southern Third of Iraq. And with the universal draft that he is going to institute --- with few exemptions for either men OR women up to age of 43 and with no safe refuges like Canada --- he certainly will have the personnel to prosecute this plan. Unemployment will drop; the economy will boom; and then, happy days!

Doubtlessly, this is what the Congress had in mind when it voted for the measure 376-3. Don't you think?
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 09-19-2004 05:45 PM

joequinn wrote: My God, the post is big news, and if anybody but Iris had posted it, then I would have doubted its veracity!
I'm a bit in doubt myself, now, Joe. Our dear Mudwoman reads the congressional session stuff regularly, and she pointed out a bill to me which skirts all around the issue, but she couldn't find anything that agreed with this article. So no I'm a bit confused about it all. There is no doubt in my mind that congress is moving in this direction, but I haven't found anything else backing up this article saying it's a done deal. I'm not sure where the author got this now.

Still, there is sabre rattling again in congress, not only against Iran, but Syria, from what I've been reading. I wonder if they're trying to get this underway before the vote?

mudwoman
Pirate

Re: CONGRESS APPROVES AMERICAN ATTACK ON IRAN: War by 2006

Post by mudwoman » 09-19-2004 06:49 PM

I agree. I don't trust those fools on the hill to do the right thing at all. They are too drunk on the milk of the fat corporate pigs to speak truth to power. And in this case that power is a madman in the big house [Bush].

I also belive, and so many good people who know or sense the dark and malicious thing that has been in lurk mode for decades, is springing into action now. Becoming bolder by the hour.

My earlier remarks, were referring to the actual wording of the resolution, which is alarming in and of itself. Why? Because it is a wolf in sheep's clothing. It is a rather bland resolution on it's face, and this is EXACTLY the sort of thing we need to be watching like hawks. This administration will take anything it can twist into a green light for action, and use it to further it's ends.

The resolution in question is House Concurrent Resolution 398, entitled "Expressing the concern of Congress over Iran's development of the means to produce nuclear weapons."

I wanted to read the resolution. I read a lot of congressional records. Nearly every time some one references a piece of legislation on a forum or in the news, I read it. I did not have the full data from the initial post, but if you have several chunks of data you can usually find what you are looking for.

This is what I dumped into Google.: h May 6 2004 house representatives resolution

I got: h.con.res.00398

I then did a search thru The Library of Congress' THOMAS search (for Thomas Jefferson). I use THOMAS all the time. It is a handy tool.

From what THOMAS returned, it was clear from the substance, date and vote that it was the same resolution.

This is the resolution's title and the vote on that day:

Expressing the concern of Congress over Iran's development of the means to produce nuclear weapons. (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)
108th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. CON. RES. 398
CONCURRENT RESOLUTION
Expressing the concern of Congress over Iran's development of the means to produce nuclear weapons.

HCON 398 EH

108th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. CON. RES. 398

H.CON.RES.398
Title: A concurrent resolution expressing the concern of Congress over Iran's development of the means to produce nuclear weapons.
Sponsor: Rep Hyde, Henry J. <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/? ... 0580%29%29> [IL-6] (introduced 3/25/2004) Cosponsors <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z ... 00398:@@@P> (51)

Latest Major Action: 7/22/2004 Passed/agreed to in Senate. Status: Resolution agreed to in Senate with an amendment and an amendment to the Title and an amended preamble by Unanimous Consent.

5/6/2004 3:20pm:
On motion to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays: (2/3 required): 376 - 3, 14 Present (Roll no. 152 <http://clerk.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.asp ... number=152>). (text: CR 5/5/2004 H2617-2619 <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/R?r ... 001:H52618>)
Iris wrote: It [Iran] has engaged in a systematic campaign of deception and manipulation to hide its true intentions and keep its large scale nuclear efforts a secret, said Dan Burton (R-Indiana).
Sure fella, the "systematic campaign of deception and manipulation to hide its true intentions" is carried out by the government of Bush.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-20-2004 11:22 AM

On this mornings news (9-20) a small segment from Iran - they "might comply" --

One can hope...

nuclear power for energy is one thing --

nuclear power for bombs -- no!!!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 09-20-2004 11:38 PM

Here's the latest I've seen in "mainstream" news. They're definitely headed in that direction. <gasp>

Quick!! Somebody vote 'em out!!

~~~

War-Gaming the Mullahs
The U.S. weighs the price of a pre-emptive strike

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6039135/site/newsweek/

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”