Moderator: Super Moderators

racehorse
Pirate

Florida Supreme Court Orders Nader Placed On Ballot

Post by racehorse » 09-17-2004 07:54 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... pr/nader_3

Fla. Supreme Court Puts Nader on Ballot

By JACKIE HALLIFAX, Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Florida Supreme Court (news - web sites) ruled 6-1 Friday that Ralph Nader (news - web sites) can be on the state's November ballot as the Reform Party presidential candidate.

The court's ruling met a Saturday deadline for mailing 25,000 ballots to overseas voters, most of them military personnel.

As the Green Party candidate in 2000, Nader attracted 97,000 Florida votes. Most Democrats and many Republicans agree that those votes cost Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) the presidency.

President Bush (news - web sites) won the state by 537 votes after three weeks of recounts and legal fighting — much of it before Florida's high court.

This year, Nader had been on and off Florida's ballot several times over the last two weeks as lawsuits filed by the Florida Democratic Party and several individual voters challenged his certification as the Reform Party candidate.
racehorse

Post by Guest » 09-17-2004 08:42 PM

It is really sad and pathetic of the Democrats who are trying to stop Nader being on the ballots. If the Democrats want respect from swing voters and moderates they need to stop stooping to such low levels wasting their time trying to stop someone who wants to be president. How about they use that time and energy to get their message out, and have a strong message that resonates with American values instead of harassing, and manipulating the system because they have a very weak candidate for President.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 09-17-2004 08:46 PM

The A-Team wrote: It is really sad and pathetic of the Democrats who are trying to stop Nader being on the ballots. If the Democrats want respect from swing voters and moderates they need to stop stooping to such low levels wasting their time trying to stop someone who wants to be president. How about they use that time and energy to get their message out, and have a strong message that resonates with American values instead of harassing, and manipulating the system because they have a very weak candidate for President.

I believe the "sad and pathetic" part to be the republican financing of nadir's (not misspelled) campaign.... and nadir taling the money.

Post by Guest » 09-17-2004 08:53 PM

If you feel that it is sad and pathetic that Republicans are helping out the underdog in a Presidential race, and making sure that his rights are being fully protected under the law, are you saying that you aren't for freedom? You aren't for allowing anyone to run for President? You know your candidate is too weak to overcome those who may vote for Nader? What is it? I bet it is all of the above.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 09-17-2004 09:03 PM

The A-Team wrote: If you feel that it is sad and pathetic that Republicans are helping out the underdog in a Presidential race, and making sure that his rights are being fully protected under the law, are you saying that you aren't for freedom? You aren't for allowing anyone to run for President? You know your candidate is too weak to overcome those who may vote for Nader? What is it? I bet it is all of the above.

Oh good grief....... you are projecting again. Are you so seriously skewed that you really believe that the republicans are for fairness?

psssst..... would you be more likely or less likely to vote for john mccain if you knew that he had an illegitimate black child? That he sold out his fellow POWs to the communists? blowmonkey 2000

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 09-17-2004 11:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corvid
psssst..... would you be more likely or less likely to vote for john mccain if you knew that he had an illegitimate black child? That he sold out his fellow POWs to the communists? blowmonkey 2000

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 09-18-2004 08:40 AM

I think each state supreme court should decide the state issues instead of having elections. And that the U.S. supreme court should decide the federal election again, like last time. It would save us a lot of time and grief, don't you agree?
In any other election, I might consider voting for him, if he had anything going for him but a run of the mill intellect.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

bluejello4
Pirate

Post by bluejello4 » 09-18-2004 11:37 AM

If you feel that it is sad and pathetic that Republicans are helping out the underdog in a Presidential race, and making sure that his rights are being fully protected under the law, are you saying that you aren't for freedom? You aren't for allowing anyone to run for President? You know your candidate is too weak to overcome those who may vote for Nader? What is it? I bet it is all of the above.
Doesn't this mean that you think Republicans and Democrats should also be helping conservitive candidates get on ballots too?

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 09-18-2004 12:33 PM

All you have to do here is read the political forums,then you will fully realize that the Republicans are evil demons and the Democrats are our saviors,veritable saints,everyone of them!

What a bunch of malarkey!

{:-)

Post by Guest » 09-18-2004 12:37 PM

Yes I do!

I am not stupid, I know why the Republicans are doing it. If you weigh the actions of the Republicans to the actions of the Democrats, you cannot notice the glaring differences in what they are doing. The Republicans are helping Nader on the ballot hoping he will take votes away from Kerry. The Democrats don't want him on the ballot cause he will take votes away from Kerry. Think about each parties actions, and you will see how scary the actions of the Democratic party are. They are stopping at nothing to try to insure one mans attempt at running for President is blocked at every turn. At the same time they are also taking away political choices away from the American voter. Personally I am not looking at it in the short term. I believe that eventually the Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot on this one. I want more options than just these two political parties, I believe that right now hopefully, the seeds of a third or fourth party option are being planted.

bluejello4
Pirate

Post by bluejello4 » 09-18-2004 12:42 PM

I'm not a Democrat, so even though I think Nader is being a dumbass, he should get on the ballot IF he meets the requirements. That doesn't stop Republicans from being called the hyporcites that they are.

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 09-18-2004 12:49 PM

And the Dems freak out every time someone like Jesse or Sharpton talk about a candidacy.But hey,that is different isn't it?

{:-)

bluejello4
Pirate

Post by bluejello4 » 09-18-2004 01:08 PM

I wouldn't since I'm not a Dem and I would love to see someone become president that's not Rep or Dem. As long as they get a sizable percent of the vote. I think it would be lame to become president with 10% or something like that.

But then again, in this country you don't even need to have the most votes to become president.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 09-19-2004 05:13 PM

The A-Team wrote: I believe that eventually the Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot on this one. I want more options than just these two political parties, I believe that right now hopefully, the seeds of a third or fourth party option are being planted.
I agree, and not eventually, but this time. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have done enough to advance our civilization, although Bush is the worst. We should also have third parties in the debates. Now THAT would be interesting!
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 09-20-2004 07:02 AM

Ross Perot was interesting, back when.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”