Curiosity: Destination Mars

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-16-2013 01:08 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/16/42301 ... red-planet
Mars One will start recruiting volunteers in July for one-way trip to red planet

Mars One, the ambitious (some might say crazy) project that aims to make the red planet's colonization into a successful reality TV show, will begin accepting video submissions for its first batch of astronauts in July. In an attempt to separate serious candidates from dreamers, the company plans to institute an entry fee that will vary depending on your native country. It's reportedly going to top off at though, so hopefuls won't need to take out a second mortgage to plot out their departure from Earth. The mandatory fee is also a means for Mars One to secure funding for the actual trip and Mars colony buildout.

Speaking to Space.com, co-founder and CEO Bas Lansdorp said, "we expect a million applications with one-minute videos," adding that the hope is some of those submissions will "go viral." Mars One has already been met with 10,000 emails from interested parties, but it remains to be seen how many of those will translate into serious contenders. And considering the voyage is a one-way trip — you read that right, Mars One won't be providing anyone with a ride back home — it's certainly a dramatic decision. Those 18 or older who are tired of the confines of our current planet will have 60 seconds to plead their case (and qualifications, if such a thing exists in this scenario).
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-16-2013 04:01 PM

wow... not a terrible idea though, if it is going to get financed privately, this seems like an obvious spinoff they will do. I can see Trump all over this.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-06-2013 12:13 AM

Mars One is a great plan on paper, but would want to be on board the space craft when sometime during the six month journey a few people begin to realize they are never going home?

"I'm a HUUUUGGGE fan of space."
Last edited by SquidInk on 12-06-2013 12:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-10-2013 02:41 PM

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mars- ... on-in-2018
In this Indiegogo campaign, we give you the opportunity to contribute to the first ever private mission to Mars. It will be the the first step in establishing a human outpost on the Red Planet. This campaign will pay for the mission concept studies for our first unmanned mission in 2018, which will demonstrate hardware for the human mission in 2025.

In May 2018, a private lander and communications satellite will be launched from Earth to Mars. The main goal of this demonstration mission is to provide a proof of concept for several essential technologies for a human mission.

The Mars lander will be built by aerospace industry leader Lockheed Martin. The lander design is based on the successful Mars lander used in the 2007 NASA Phoenix mission. Lockheed Martin has a distinct legacy of participating in nearly every NASA mission to Mars. For the Phoenix mission, the company designed, built, tested and operated the lander for NASA.

A communications satellite, built by Surrey Satellite Technology LTD (SSTL), will provide a high bandwidth communications system in a Mars synchronous orbit and will be used to relay data and a live video feed from the lander on the surface of Mars back to Earth.

This 2018 mission will be the first in preparation for human landing. The first Mars One crew is scheduled to land in 2025, with additional crew landing every two years. Before that, Mars One will have established a habitable, sustainable outpost via multiple missions scheduled between 2018 and 2022.

This will be the first private mission to another planet and it will change the way we look upon space exploration. WE CAN AND SHOULD DO IT TOGETHER!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-23-2015 10:23 AM

http://www.iflscience.com/space/whats-going-mars-one
Mars One Finalist Announces That It's All A Scam

Earlier this week, a colonist candidate for the one-way mission to Mars broke his silence and spoke out against the Mars One project, calling the selection process dangerously flawed.

After filling out an application (mostly out of curiosity), former NASA researcher Joseph Roche, now of Trinity College, became one of 100 finalists to live in permanent settlement on Mars. In his interview with Elmo Keep for Medium, Roche expressed many concerns, ranging from inaccurate media coverage (there were only 2,761 applicants, not 200,000) to Mars One’s psychological or psychometric testing (or lack thereof) to how leading contenders earned their spot (he says they paid for it).

“When you join the ‘Mars One Community,’ which happens automatically if you applied as a candidate, they start giving you points,” Roche explains. “You get points for getting through each round of the selection process (but just an arbitrary number of points, not anything to do with ranking), and then the only way to get more points is to buy merchandise from Mars One or to donate money to them.” And if media outlets offer payment for an interview, the organization would like to see 75 percent of the profit. As a result the most high-profile hopefuls, he says, are those who brought about the most money.

So far, he’s completed a questionnaire, uploaded a video, got a medical exam, took a quick quiz over Skype, and… not too much else, it seems. Despite making the final 100, Roche has never met anyone from Mars One in person. A planned multiday, regional interview seems to have been cancelled.

There are other bad signs for Mars One. The organization’s contract with production company Endemol is no longer in place; Mars One was hoping to generate billion from a reality show. And a former adviser to the project, theoretical physicist Gerard Hooft, said a realistic launch date isn’t 10 years from now -- it’s 100 years.

Now, Mars One CEO Bas Lansdorp has responded in a video [transcript], where he says a lot of the bad press is untrue. “There are a lot of current round three candidates that did not make any donations to Mars One and there are also lot of people that did not make it to the third round that contributed a lot to Mars One,” he says. “The two things are not related at all and to say that they are is simply a lie.”

Lansdorp maintains that there were indeed 200,000 applications, and that criticism by the organization’s advisers is valued because it helps improve their mission. Their next step, he says, is to find out which of the candidates “have what it takes” through more thorough selection processes, team and individual challenges, and longer interviews. They’re also in talks with another production company. And as far as the delays are concerned, he says, “is it really a failure if we land our first crew two, four, six, or even eight years late?”

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 03-23-2015 11:42 AM

Well, since I didn't participate, I have no way of knowing.

It strikes me that the person criticizing this might want to post copies of any screen copies and/or anything else he/she should have kept for personal records.

ANYONE can say anything, these days - especially people who didn't make the cut. Without proof, I doubt we can know if any of the post is the truth.

However, I think that before we send colonists with all the fanfare, we would first have to know that some survival is predictable. Hence, I find myself wondering if the "shadow" astronaut program claims might be real, and that there is a small colony already there already... for quite some length of time. Whether we may have accomplished this by Black Ops transporter capability (as a few people have claimed was being tested as early as the 1970s) or with capabilities of better energy/thrust which hasn't been made known to the public, we can only speculate and hope.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 03-23-2015 03:23 PM

You make some great points, Bobbi! :cool:

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 03-23-2015 08:36 PM

Thank-you, Squid.

I've always worried that the Space Shuttle flights were done for mere propaganda and money-wrangling purposes... Oh, not the first trips, but from about the mid-1970s up to now. I think once we made it to the Moon (and despite others' doubts that we did that, altho I do believe we made a movie in the desert, just in case something went wrong, so we could fool the USSR into at least thinking we made it there and back), it's believable that via back-engineering some of the crashed saucers, we made contact with some E.T.s or we developed a new propulsion system which allowed us to take the leap to go to Mars, 'way back then. After the stories began slipping out in the late 1980s, about clandestine exchanges between Earth and E.T.s. How much is true is debatable, but usually where there is smoke there's a little bit of fire.

I don't claim to believe any particular thing is true or false. I hope that one day we will know more of the truth, so we don't have to speculate. I do, however, tend to believe we will never send a group of colonists anywhere that some of us haven't visited, and laid the ground-work for a successful habitat. I think even the hardest-hearted politicians and scientists have seen enough loss of life from the Challenger and Columbia disasters to not want to repeat something like that in the future.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-24-2015 08:09 AM

we can't even survive in a biodome on earth haha. The program is an obvious joke.

Organizers: "We are planning to send 20 people to their inescapable deaths"
The Law: "Hmm, what now?"
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-26-2015 06:41 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 5_D521.jpg

I don't think I realized how big Curiosity actually is.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-26-2015 08:06 PM

Our robotics technology has certainly improved over time. :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-27-2015 02:32 AM

Biodomes give way to cheating. Being launched into Space does NOT! (Where would they go when they leave the Emergency hatch??!! LOL) In space, no one can hear you scream...

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-27-2015 09:42 AM

SquidInk wrote: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 5_D521.jpg

I don't think I realized how big Curiosity actually is.

that is the film set where they fake the images from?

:pumpkin:
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-27-2015 10:07 AM

Fan wrote: that is the film set where they fake the images from?

:pumpkin:

Just to clear- up for me, Fan, are you talking about "fake" moon, mars or all the above?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-27-2015 11:10 AM

Doka wrote: Just to clear- up for me, Fan, are you talking about "fake" moon, mars or all the above?

Semi-joking :) But sure, it is all probably fake. I have no compelling reason to believe we went to any of them.

I don't know if it is possible for humans or machines to survive passing through the van allen belts for instance, I assume it is either very dangerous or impossible.

Return to “Astronomy/ NASA/Physics”