Russia govt approves federal space program

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Russia govt approves federal space program

Post by SETIsLady » 07-17-2005 08:25 AM

MOSCOW, July 14 (Xinhuanet) -- The Russian government approved on Thursday the country's space program that gives priority to developing a research module for the International Space Station (ISS) and a multi-entry spacecraft in 2006.

Anatoly Perminov, head of the Federal Space Agency, said Russia's aerospace sector will focus on two major projects in 2006: the development of a research module, which is expected to be launchedand dock with the ISS in 2008, and the Kliper multi-entry spacecraft, the Itar-Tass news agency reported.

Perminov said the 23 billion rubles (821 million US dollars) infederal funding in 2006 "suits us," but the space program also seeks 130 billion rubles (4.6 billion dollars) in extra budgetary funding within the next decade to help cover costs for building spacecraft, maintaining space facilities on the ground and other projects.

Speaking at the cabinet meeting that approved the space program,Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov also warned against the lack young engineers in the space industry.

"We won't get far. If there's no inflow of young personnel, we can lose everything, despite the investment of this money," Fradkov said.

Russia's space program has been the ISS' lifeline for more thantwo years since the suspension of US shuttle flights after the Columbia shuttle disintegrated on Feb. 1, 2003, as it returned to Earth.

The launch of US shuttle Discovery, which marks the first shuttle flight since the Columbia disaster, was scrubbed hours before its planned liftoff Wednesday due to the malfunction of a hydrogen fuel sensor on the external fuel tank

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005- ... 220965.htm

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 07-27-2005 12:10 PM

They sure have good timing ... as I posted before I don't have a good feeling about the Discovery. RCH is right about his view
on that tile falling off the doors on the landing gear.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-27-2005 03:17 PM

Laird wrote: They sure have good timing ... as I posted before I don't have a good feeling about the Discovery. RCH is right about his view
on that tile falling off the doors on the landing gear.

I missed what he said Laird...can you fill me in ?

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 07-27-2005 06:37 PM

That's all RCH said Tues/Wed's morning on C2C.

It is distrubing to hear that NASA has decided to cancel all remaining flights do to faulty foam breaking off during lift off.

Seems to me that spray foam can't take the extreme vibration
and temperature change creating a very serious threat. (I call it the flying popicle)

Perhaps Nasa will reconsider the construction of its rocket
using a double hulled spray foam sandwich construction
with a non spark exterior paint to help deicing.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Return to “Astronomy/ NASA/Physics”