Food

Discussions about food. Recipes, reviews, anything!

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-10-2013 11:46 PM

Fan wrote: cheese quesedilla with refried beans, fresh salsa and olives.

[img ]food picture [ img]

(for the vegetarians)

Interesting presentation - everything separated. I like it.

At one time, I developed 10 meals (for two, plus one extra portion for a lunch) that met certain parameters:
  • baseline of healthfulness (so, no processed ingredients)
  • had to able to prepare in under 30 minutes
  • maximum of two pots/pans, but preferably one
  • had to be ok as 'leftover' for one day, to be taken for lunch the very next day
It was challenging to develop, but once we did it worked for years. Of course, we go out to eat occasionally, or I throw in an experiment. The idea was that after work, we always had a menu of good, quick meals & all the ingredients on hand to prepare them.
Last edited by SquidInk on 05-11-2013 12:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-11-2013 12:08 AM

I do a lot of freezing, and everything I make I make 2 extra portions for lunches. My gf's coworkers are extremely jealous.

Something that is different from most people I think is that we eat late, 9pm or later. This is a method i have made for not watching TV after dinner. We do dinner then hang out for a bit with music or internet. Food is a lifestyle thing.

I definitely destroy my kitchen when I cook. I am not careful stuff flies all over, flour in my hair, cauliflower on the floor, trip over the cat... but I am very health conscious and wash my hands almost obsessively as I cook, never cross-contaminate utensils. I don't even touch my gf's food with utensils that have touched my food as she eats a different menu than me.

Oh did I mention, I almost always make 2 separate meals each night, one of for each of us, tailored to our likes. That gets a little tired, but she eats only 2 protein sources and no starch pretty much, so screw that.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-11-2013 12:22 AM

Fan wrote: I do a lot of freezing, and everything I make I make 2 extra portions for lunches. My gf's coworkers are extremely jealous.
I hear you! I have actually cooked for the other's coworkers after they couldn't take it anymore! :D :D

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-11-2013 12:23 AM

Fan wrote: I definitely destroy my kitchen when I cook. I am not careful stuff flies all over, flour in my hair, cauliflower on the floor, trip over the cat...
:D :D

I am the opposite, cleaning obsessively as I go. I get ridiculed because I will use a tool, clean it, put it away, and get it out a minute later to use again. I really dislike doing a basin of dishes after a good meal.
Last edited by SquidInk on 05-11-2013 12:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-11-2013 12:30 AM

Yeah I don't have a microwave or a dishwasher.

The solution to the dishes after dinner thing is to leave them in the sink till the next day. Duh. :huhsmile:

I seriously give away as much frozen food as I end up eating. Every time someone comes over they leave with a shopping bad of home smoked meats, soups, fresh coffee.. it is ridiculous how few guests I have now that I think about it.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-11-2013 07:36 AM

Holy crap! $1000 to boil food in a bag? I think not.:crazyjump
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-11-2013 08:59 AM

I am hearty carnivore and would like to add more lamb into my diet. I live in sheep country, I think the price has to do with the slaughter, not many around that will do sheep for some reason? Meat and fresh vegies and fruits are awsome.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-11-2013 02:18 PM

megman wrote: Holy crap! 00 to boil food in a bag? I think not.:crazyjump
What is $1000? Sous vide? You can do it pretty cheap, you need a thermostat and a controller. People often use rice cookers or crock pots with a variac or similar. Basically you need to keep food within a certain limited temperature range for a long period of time. The pro units do go for about a grand, but hey that is pretty cheap for a commercial cooking unit.

No boiling either, nothing is cooked above around 80C.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-11-2013 11:15 PM

Fan wrote: What is 00? Sous vide? You can do it pretty cheap, you need a thermostat and a controller. People often use rice cookers or crock pots with a variac or similar. Basically you need to keep food within a certain limited temperature range for a long period of time. The pro units do go for about a grand, but hey that is pretty cheap for a commercial cooking unit.

No boiling either, nothing is cooked above around 80C.

Ya, I was perusing the site. Little pricey.

I've been putting off getting a vacuum sealer because I find those pricey. Still can't justify the cost yet.
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-12-2013 09:05 AM

megman wrote: Ya, I was perusing the site. Little pricey.

I've been putting off getting a vacuum sealer because I find those pricey. Still can't justify the cost yet.

You can buy an immersion heater for $5 at a garage sale, and use an old cooler :)

You don't need a vacuum sealer either, ziploc bags work fine, you evacuate the air by submersing them in the water up to the seal before sealing. Sous vide does not actually need a vacuum, it just needs the water to be in contact with the food to provide proper heat transfer.

This is actually a nice little unit for under $200 http://svkitchen.com/?p=4553 but it is very hard to find in stock at amazon.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-12-2013 09:06 AM

oh, and I am not really recommending anyone get into this, I am just documenting my experiences a bit.

If you want to get into slow cooking, I definitely suggest getting a smoker first (assuming you like BBQ).

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-12-2013 05:21 PM

Good thing I didn't discover it when I had my jacuzzi.:D

On another note, I understand you can cook a salmon in a dishwasher. Top shelf only of course.:D
Last edited by megman on 05-12-2013 08:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

LisaA
Pirate

Sourdough?

Post by LisaA » 05-12-2013 05:40 PM

We're just trying sourdough at our house now.

Trying to get the starter to develop.

Maybe somebody here could be my sourdough buddy. We haven't baked any bread with it yet.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 05-12-2013 06:22 PM

I kept a batch alive for a few years.

Did you start yours from scratch or did you acquire it online?
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

LisaA
Pirate

sourdough

Post by LisaA » 05-12-2013 09:02 PM

We got it from Ed Wood's International up in Idaho. It came as a powder, with instructions. We are adding flour and water every day. It's smelling and looking like I suppose it should, but it's taking a long time.

Return to “Food”