Ferguson

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Ferguson

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-21-2014 03:40 PM

(move if desired)

The Ferguson schools will NOT have school at all next week.

THIS as many know means that a decision will be announced as the schools were to receive a 48 hour notice. Normally schools are in session at least two days before Thanksgiving.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 11-23-2014 07:02 PM

Is that true for for Ferguson? I know where I live fall brake always Thanksgiving week. Do you know Fergusons school calendar or are you extrapolating form your home district.
Life is short drink good coffee.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-23-2014 08:13 PM

No Sam - I do not live anywhere near -- it was on a news report -
https://www.popularresistance.org/fergu ... -sunday-am

they have not made announcement - grand jury, but if you read down approx 4th paragraph where it says NOTE: read (2)
(2) On Friday, the Ferguson schools announced they would be closed on Monday and Tuesday. These actions are consistent with the decision of the grand jury being announced on Sunday morning.

that was what was stated.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 11-23-2014 08:22 PM

got you interesting
Life is short drink good coffee.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-24-2014 11:50 AM

I guess that it's probably best to think proactively especially if local law enforcement is expecting problems.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-25-2014 05:19 PM

I am sure that most have now seen the outcome. Police officer was not indicted after 25 days of commission meetings, 60 witnesses interviewed and questioned.

Among the interviews the ones who at first claimed Brown was giving up - hands in air, etc etc... after the autopsy report was given those witnesses admitted they really had NOT sen things...some were not even ON that street at all.
Other witnesses told how Brown attacked the officer in the car - and two at least - claimed that the other guy (Brown's friend) also did some things too then ran off. Those witnessed after seeing the autopsy reports told the same answers to what they saw -- from the first round of questions and interviews.

Scientific evidence of two shots in the officers car was also provided, as close up photos of the officer (Wilson) at the hospital - clearly showing facial (and back of head) injuries.

THEN the rioting and looting, and seeing and hearing the STEP-Father of Brown crying "Burn, burn it all..." from there - well photos are available - places looted, burned to the ground. SO sad, yes other injuries that night as well.

Obama's speech - nuff said - draw your own conclusions.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-25-2014 07:55 PM

Yeah, sad and weirdly strange - trying to figure out how a grand jury verdict automatically translates into burning a town down....... It is surely an odd way to express one's self. And, granted most protesters most likely are not from Ferguson, and were just looking for a reason to "strike back at society" as I have heard some phrase it, but, honestly, if I owned a business in that town, I wouldn't rebuild..... I'd get out as soon as I could.

I think that a lot was done wrong - the timing of the announcement, the lack of national guard presence when they had been called-up, Obama's two-cents-worth........

I fear that things will get a lot worse before they get better - if they ever will. I think that there is so much fear and mistrust that any perceived slight or transgression is magnified far in excess of what is warranted - every action or nuanced phrase is second-guessed and evaluated in the light of "racism", and there is an awful lot of hindsight Monday-morning quarterbacking in the media feeding the frenzy.

Plus we have Al Sharpton, right on cue, getting himself in the mix as quickly as possible, and the ex-Attorney General Holder announcing that there will be more investigations. What a slap at the grand jury who have been working on this for weeks on end.......

I'd say "pray for sanity and cooler heads to prevail", but I think that the atmosphere is too charged for people to listen. Each side has their own view. One side doesn't want to hear or acknowledge that just prior to the incident where Brown was stopped, that he had robbed a store - that can't be mentioned. The other side doesn't want to acknowledge that a lot of work needs to be done to address the very real fears felt in minority communities regarding police - no one wants to listen.

It's sad. I hope CK that you do not live close to where this is happening........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-25-2014 09:16 PM

At this moment, there are about 1,400 protestors in Boston that have had a relatively peaceful demonstration in the city - that are now attempting to gain access to, and block traffic in both directions on the southeast expressway - which is a major artery running from Boston to points south.

Might be able to catch it streaming live on Boston's WCVB channel 5:

http://www.wcvb.com/newscenter-5-breaking-news/26098608

It's been the height of the holiday travel time with traffic already bumper to bumper on the highways around Boston......

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-25-2014 09:17 PM

Take that back -the crowd is now estimated at over 3,000 and growing.

The live feed isn't that great though......

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-25-2014 09:52 PM

For 6 years now we have been manouvered and manipulated against each other, it is so difficult to watch. Ferguson is the " flavor" of the week, last week was it was "immigration". It appears that Powers That Be, are whipping the "frenzy stew" a little faster. It makes it much easier to change a countries whole make up, with a lot of emotional basket cases, that have been told that they are "Victims". Sadly we have become a nation of Victims, but hang on! It will be made better, when that nasty ole constitution is replaced, with something brand new??.....
For those of us here, let's just hang in, plant our gardens and share with our neighbors. Go on living our lives as best we can, without drinking from the fountain of hate, fear and blame, it is highly contages, and very difficult to recover from. Complaining ,is good helps releave the tension, after all, being human is not an easy deal!
It will get better, slowly.......... :cool:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-25-2014 10:12 PM

Wow! Kbot, do you think the activest's might be working themselves into a martial law type thing?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-26-2014 07:24 AM

Would seem that way, wouldn't it? After all, it was in Massachusetts that we had a form of martial law imposed during the Boston Marathon bombing where warrantless house-to-house searches were conducted.

We are seeing state, county and local law enforcement roll out their Hummers and armored personnel carriers, cops brandishing Plexiglas shields and riot sticks, greater use of sub-lethal weapons. In fact, a few years back when the Red Sox won the World Series, a young woman who just happened to be in the area where fans got more than a little rambunctious, was shot in the head and killed by a "non-lethal" weapon.

I recall reading somewhere that there was a government plan for the imposition of martial law that involved three conditions - (1) a messed-up economy, (2) an uncontrolled border and mass immigration across the border, and (c) civil unrest at home. Seems like we're about there......

Last night, we had the SE Expressway and Mass Pike with protesters attempting to block off both the north-south and east-west access points into and out of Boston. In nearby RI, there were protestors attempting to block I-95.

This morning when I came-in to work, I was speaking with the 11-7 techs about what happened last night, and the thought of some of the local drivers coming upon a group of protesters blocking a highway. They'd be killed because people around here don't drive the speed limit (the speed limit's only a suggestion - not a hard and fast rule around here.......).

And, local protests seem to have grown around the country with the newest tactic being blocked highways and major intersections. Someone will get hurt, and the what?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-26-2014 07:30 AM

From this morning's headlines.......

Protesters flood streets across U.S. as Ferguson dismay spreads coast to coast

Are protests taking place near you? Please share photos, videos and thoughts with CNN iReport if you can do so safely.

(CNN) -- The sparks of outrage that started in Ferguson, Missouri, have ignited a firestorm of protests across the country.

But the national furor isn't just about one grand jury's decision on one shooting case. To many protesters, the death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown -- and the lack of an indictment for the officer who shot him -- are symbolic of racial injustice in America.

"I think that it's important for people to know that the decision not to indict (Officer) Darren Wilson means that the system does not value black lives," one protester marching through Los Angeles told CNN.

"I think that it means that a cop can kill a black or brown kid when he's defenseless and unarmed and not get charged. I think that it means that we either fight back and stand up and end police terrorism."

More than 170 protests sprouted up across the country Tuesday. Some crowds blocked bridges, tunnels and major highways. But unlike the violence that erupted in Ferguson on Monday night, most of the demonstrations were peaceful.

In New York, a protesters spanning an array of races and ages filled Times Square with their hands up, some chanting, "Don't shoot." In Washington, a crowd including prep school students lay silently on a sidewalk, as if dead. And in Boston, even jail inmates joined in the protest silently from a window.

Here's what the country looked like late Tuesday:

ATLANTA

The Public Enemy anthem pumping from mounted speakers at a protest in downtown Atlanta captured the mood of the crowd of roughly 300 Tuesday night.

"Fight the Power," the rapper's voice shouted over the speaker. "Fight the powers that be. ..."

Some Atlanta protesters held signs that read "Enough" and "We are all one bullet away from being a hashtag."

"It's a travesty; it's just not right," ShaCzar Brown said, holding up a sign that read, "Stop killer cops."

"Seventy years ago, it was legal to kill black people," Brown said, referring to the spate of lynchings that spread through the U.S. in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. "It's essentially still legal."

BOSTON

Inmates in Boston jail put hands in the air after taping the name Mike Brown on the window of their cell #Ferguson pic.twitter.com/IjV7PAvZM5

— Jon Wiener (@JonWiener1) November 26, 2014
About 1,000 protestors marched through the streets of Boston, passing by the South Bay House of Correction where inmates looked on from windows -- many of them holding their hands up in the air. On one window, someone had written "Mike Brown" in tape.

Even though police said 15 people were arrested, the gathering was peaceful. "I'm very proud of the young people here," Police Superintendent in Chief William Gross told the Boston Globe. "Do you see any cars burning? Do you see any broken windows? No."

Protester Daniel Jose Older told CNN the demonstration rapidly grew from a small gathering to hundreds of people.

"Folks have taken over the streets," Older said. "It's a beautiful thing to see."

CHICAGO

200 people at #chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office protesting police handling of black men. #ferguson #cnn pic.twitter.com/n3zqG5beeZ
— billkirkos (@KirkosBill) November 25, 2014
About 200 members of the Black Youth Project 100 started a 28-hour sit-in outside Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office on Tuesday morning.

Why 28 hours? According to the group, a black person is killed by a police officer or a person protected by the state every 28 hours in America.

Some lay motionless on the City Hall floor, as if they had been shot.

But by Tuesday night, the protest was over. After City Hall closed for the day, police threatened to arrest those attempting to stay inside.

LOS ANGELES

— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) November 26, 2014
A stretch of the 101 Freeway in Los Angeles was temporarily shut down in both directions after protesters took road blocks from the streets and put them on the freeway, police said.

But protesters who gathered outside Los Angeles police headquarters demonstrated peacefully. "We have detained people. We don't have any property damage to speak of," Officer Jack Richter said. "We are letting (the people) exercise their constitutional rights."

MINNEAPOLIS

A woman in a group blocking an intersection was run over by a car.

The Star Tribune newspaper reported that the driver of the car honked at the protesters before knocking a few people onto the hood of the vehicle and apparently running over the woman's legs. She was hospitalized with "very minor injuries."

NEW YORK

Times Square still shut down by protesters. More than 100 police officers standing by but not moving in.

— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) November 26, 2014
A massive protest wound its way from Union Square to FDR Drive and to the United Nations, Times Square and Harlem.

"Now it's not clear where we're going," said CNN's Miguel Marquez, who was interviewing protesters as they continued marching after midnight.

One demonstrator said he didn't even know about the protest until he saw it pass by his workplace on Times Square. He decided to join in.

"I just want to help bring about change ... sometimes I am profiled based on my race," said the protester, who is black.

"I think this is progress ... now we're going to make sure things are going to change."

As they marched, some protesters chanted, "Mike Brown! Mike Brown!"

Police, who were nearby in large numbers, stayed back and let the marchers go.

OAKLAND

— Ken Pritchett (@KPnews) November 26, 2014
Perhaps the most turmoil Tuesday night was in Oakland, California, where vandals smashed the windows of a car dealership and looted several businesses, including a T-Mobile cell phone store.

Some also set bonfires in the city. One row of bonfires stretched across a road, blocking off access.

— Brian Scates (@BrianScates) November 26, 2014
At least one person was seen adding more items to the fires.

WASHINGTON DC

In Washington, protesters lay down on a sidewalk outside police headquarters as if dead, Nikki Burdine of CNN affiliate WUSA tweeted.

"Black lives matter" signs on protestors chests as they lie "dead" for 4 min in solidarity with Mike Brown @wusa9 pic.twitter.com/utFFxxBESF

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/26/us/nation ... strations/

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-26-2014 10:30 AM

First -- I reside on the far opposite side of the state. Yes there were protestors here - but they walked on sidewalks, when they were headed into the streets our police made them go back to the sidewalks which they did.

---
I wish that people would have HONESTLY listened to the report read, but it seems people did not pay attention at all. Or chose to ignore what they heard. I was hoping that it would be published for people to read.
This 18 yr old was no child and was a thief, robber who just walked into a local liquor tobacco store prior and stole cigars, pushed the manager around and left. (None of the media had access to Brown's juvenile records.) A call went out about the robbery with a description. 6'5" 295 lb - Brown, wearing certain type of clothes.
Brown attacked the officer in the car. Tried to take the officer's gun. Two shots fired, one at the door, the second hit Brown in the hand (thumb area). Brown then left the vehicle.
The officer followed police procedures to follow and arrest the thief who attacked him as well as shoved the store manager and stole from the store.
----

Rioters and Looters - some 80 were arrested between Mon and Tues - in Ferguson. MOST were not Ferguson residents.

Now protests all over the USA. WHY? Blocking traffic - Gee what if there were ambulances trying to get to hospitals? Remember the outcry -- east coast slow traffic? Was not that long ago - so where is the outcry now?
Last edited by Cherry Kelly on 11-26-2014 10:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-26-2014 12:03 PM

I listened to the prosecutor's statement and am convinced that there are people that wish to discount portions of the evidence, or draw the conclusion that there was an over-the-top reaction by the officer. I feel confident in saying that most of the people protesting were not there on the day this occurred, and are attempting to figure this out from the comfort of their homes, with no basis of direct knowledge of how events actually transpired. My understanding is that this all took place over the course of a few seconds.

And, I'm not hearing anyone discuss the robbery aspect. My understanding is that the officer wasn't necessarily looking for a suspect (I might be wrong), as much as he just wanted Brown and another individual to just get out from being in the middle of the road, and things just escalated from there.... and this seems to have been corroborated by witnesses.

To me, it just seems that there are so many "what-if's" involved. What if Brown had just moved out of the street without making an issue of it. What if Brown hadn't robbed the store in the first place? Chances are, if one of these things did not occur, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm having a problem with the disconnect in our culture today - it's OK to rob someone, or burn a town down, but not OK to attempt to enforce laws/ apprehend someone (or even discuss a crime...). Are we at that point in society that mentioning a proximate cause of an event, especially if it concerns one who was injured or killed as a direct of his/ her actions - is off limits due to the PC police being offended........????

Return to “Politics and Government 2014 - Present”