ART Off the air........

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

User avatar
Riddick
Pirate
Posts: 12314
Joined: 11-01-2002 03:00 AM
Location: SE WI
Contact:

Post by Riddick » 11-15-2013 04:49 PM

Fan wrote: I hope he continues on and does something. However, he dealt with the devil and now he needs to acknowledge that and face it like a man. The first thing he should be doing (should have done) is apologize profusely to his listeners. He never did this as far as I know. He just cut us off with no warning or reason. Deleted his facebook, which has nothing to do with Sirius, only his fans were hurt by that.
Well, there IS all that isn't there? Fact is, my 'devil's advocate' statement earlier ISN'T the only two cents I could put in on all this. Everything you've said here in response makes more than a good argument for not jumping head-first into the protest, especially absent a profuse apology for his abrupt departure from the show and Facebook.

Indeed, any painting of SiruisXM as the villain in all of this IS a gross oversimplification. Like any corporation no doubt they're capable of deviltry - yet aside of putting C2C on in place of Dark Matter, what do we know they've done that's been particulary devilish?
Fan wrote: I have no sympathy because I and many others were saying the whole time he needed to do this on his own in a podcast or free stream model, and he went corporate instead.
I too had said I thot that'd be the best route for Art. In my mind he coulda done the online stream, and mebbe made a deal to simulcast from KNYE for a presence in the 'old world' of radio, as time went on possibly broadening it by way of building an independent network of affiliates.

I'm all for Art doing something still. Being out from under his NC clause would make that easier - At the same time, having sympathy for his personal plight isn't high on my list.

User avatar
turtle101
Ship's Bartender
Posts: 3622
Joined: 07-08-2001 02:00 AM

Post by turtle101 » 11-15-2013 10:12 PM

I also feel for Art. As far as removing my Free Art post I will not. I put it on FB
for a reason and there it stays.
But I won't post more.
Remember Arts going through a lot. With Sirius and the tradiagy in the Philippines
If he don't want supporters to speak out, again, he must heave his reasons.
ART is the speaker, the talker, he is the one. He tried to get back on the air, thought it was going to be
the right thing but it was horrible experience, for all. Now I see, the only thing for him to
do is hope they let him go then tried something else. I will quietly sit here and wait.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

User avatar
Fan
Lady with a
Posts: 5270
Joined: 05-09-2011 02:18 PM
Contact:

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 11:19 PM

Art should be a guest on as many podcasts as he can. This would be a great way to reintroduce himself and to regain a popular audience (and to not violate a NC). He is so engaging and fun to listen to he could win over diverse audience types. Everyone likes a good mystery, and only Art can sell a mystery like Art.

As an example since I am pragmatic: http://weirdthings.com/ I have listened to these guys for a long time, they are magicians and just funny people. He could break into a whole new segment here.

Just a positive thought. He would get inspired by these younger people I think. Not saying he is too old, just the opposite, he is a perfect age to take advantage of his gravitas. Like Leonard Nimoy perhaps?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

User avatar
Riddick
Pirate
Posts: 12314
Joined: 11-01-2002 03:00 AM
Location: SE WI
Contact:

Post by Riddick » 11-16-2013 12:19 AM

Fan wrote: Just a positive thought. He would get inspired by these younger people I think. Not saying he is too old, just the opposite, he is a perfect age to take advantage of his gravitas. Like Leonard Nimoy perhaps?
And so much as he may be inspired, in turn too Art could inspire the 'next generation' eh? Kinda the way they've got Nimoy's Spock imparting his knowledge and experience on a younger, less 'traveled' version of himself in the latest ST movies -

Seems to me as a regular featured guest or 'panelist' on podcasts, the Master could stay involved and at the same time eventually "pass the torch" to one OR more hosts. It'd be a good way to groom his replacement(s) for the day he ever decides to REALLY retire!

User avatar
Fan
Lady with a
Posts: 5270
Joined: 05-09-2011 02:18 PM
Contact:

Post by Fan » 11-16-2013 12:26 AM

Riddick wrote: And so much as he may be inspired, in turn too Art could inspire the 'next generation' eh? Kinda the way they've got Nimoy's Spock imparting his knowledge and experience on a younger, less 'traveled' version of himself in the latest ST movies -

Seems to me as a regular featured guest or 'panelist' on podcasts, the Master could stay involved and at the same time eventually "pass the torch" to one OR more hosts. It'd be a good way to groom his replacement(s) for the day he ever decides to REALLY retire!
Exactly my thoughts. It could stimulate a minor revolution in podcasting, teach them how to do it. Geeks (who are most of the podcasters) love Art Bell material, well-presented.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

User avatar
starrmtn001
Jester Mod
Posts: 5495
Joined: 03-07-2004 01:43 AM

Post by starrmtn001 » 11-16-2013 12:30 AM

Riddick wrote: And so much as he may be inspired, in turn too Art could inspire the 'next generation' eh? Kinda the way they've got Nimoy's Spock imparting his knowledge and experience on a younger, less 'traveled' version of himself in the latest ST movies -

Seems to me as a regular featured guest or 'panelist' on podcasts, the Master could stay involved and at the same time eventually "pass the torch" to one OR more hosts. It'd be a good way to groom his replacement(s) for the day he ever decides to REALLY retire!


Excellent post! Kudos Riddick.:D

User avatar
BenSlain
Pirate
Posts: 3419
Joined: 09-14-2000 02:00 AM

Post by BenSlain » 11-16-2013 12:34 AM

They came to him and offered world wide streaming. Canadian streaming and USA streaming. The streaming did not work. They were not going to fix it . It made for a bad show and he even stated it was bad.

I don't blame him. I would do the same thing. And hey I love the show more than anything but I'm not a Art suck up.m Matter of face I think poorly of the guy. But I loved the show and think he was right.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

User avatar
BenSlain
Pirate
Posts: 3419
Joined: 09-14-2000 02:00 AM

Post by BenSlain » 11-16-2013 12:40 AM

Ps.....I did point out they were streaming the show on Shoutcast along with a lot of other shows. But I was mainly listening on SXM. I have had a account for years just for the music alone and they have done that very well.

Here's a hint. Wait till you get at least 4 or 5 account cancellations before you re up. You will get a better deal. I'm currently paying $80 a year for one car and Internet streaming. In my other car I just stream it through the Bluetooth from the phone app.

Now though because of the bluetooth they will probably be in trouble because it's great to just stream Internet radio. Up to now they just made it easy. I don't see how they will compete in the future.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

User avatar
Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Posts: 2970
Joined: 02-16-2011 09:28 PM

Post by Dude111 » 11-16-2013 12:41 AM

Well its strange Howard stern has no problems!! (Many listen to him also)
Fan wrote: how exactly can it make matters worse?
It cant..... I emailed them about Art also,they felt bad and wished him well doing something else.....

I have always thought HE REALLY DOESNT WANNA DO ANYTHING!! (I thought that this summer)

User avatar
Fan
Lady with a
Posts: 5270
Joined: 05-09-2011 02:18 PM
Contact:

Post by Fan » 11-16-2013 01:04 AM

BenSlain wrote: Ps.....I did point out they were streaming the show on Shoutcast along with a lot of other shows. But I was mainly listening on SXM. I have had a account for years just for the music alone and they have done that very well.

Here's a hint. Wait till you get at least 4 or 5 account cancellations before you re up. You will get a better deal. I'm currently paying a year for one car and Internet streaming. In my other car I just stream it through the Bluetooth from the phone app.

Now though because of the bluetooth they will probably be in trouble because it's great to just stream Internet radio. Up to now they just made it easy. I don't see how they will compete in the future.
and this.. you listen to XM a lot you say, how is it then bad quality? You say Art's streaming did not work, yet it worked fine for me, and you I would assume, and the guy running the shoutcast stream... if you can't get to the fantasticforum.com the first thing I would counsel people to do is to check their own system since it is rare the main site will be down compared to your local problems. This is my point. The stream maybe was not reliable over slow or crappy connections, but if people's AM reception was bad were they complaining to the nearest radio station? No, they knew they had to get a better radio or an antenna or live with it. Sirius's stream was going out fine, whether you could hear it properly or not has more to do with what programs were running on your own computer than Sirius. The proof is in the pudding, look how successful it is, it would not be if its streaming was a total disaster.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

User avatar
BenSlain
Pirate
Posts: 3419
Joined: 09-14-2000 02:00 AM

Post by BenSlain » 11-17-2013 12:04 AM

That make sense but I have a great home network. But on the phone app and the computer stream it would stop every 40 min or so. Even when i was on my phone 4g network with the app. The shoutcast never quit but it had about a 50 second delay so maybe whoever was streaming it was restarting the stream.


I mean hey, truthfully it wasn't much of a issue for me to hit a button but apparently it was for a lot of people. I could tell by the quality of the calls that they were picking the bottom of the barrel so must be not a lot of people were listening.


That said. Why didn't he just free stream in the first place. SXM probably would have picked it up. Arts never done himself any favors and he seems to have screwed the pooch on this last endeavor.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

User avatar
turtle101
Ship's Bartender
Posts: 3622
Joined: 07-08-2001 02:00 AM

Post by turtle101 » 11-20-2013 05:16 PM

BenSlain wrote: They came to him and offered world wide streaming. Canadian streaming and USA streaming. The streaming did not work. They were not going to fix it . It made for a bad show and he even stated it was bad.

I don't blame him. I would do the same thing. And hey I love the show more than anything but I'm not a Art suck up.m Matter of face I think poorly of the guy. But I loved the show and think he was right.


another right on the money!!!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

LESTAT1999
Pirate
Posts: 13
Joined: 11-16-2013 05:40 PM

ANY NEWS

Post by LESTAT1999 » 11-21-2013 03:52 PM

Any new news from art or what is going on. Been pretty quite. Should we give up hope or is there still hope out there?

User avatar
starrmtn001
Jester Mod
Posts: 5495
Joined: 03-07-2004 01:43 AM

Re: ANY NEWS

Post by starrmtn001 » 11-21-2013 04:12 PM

LESTAT1999 wrote: Any new news from art or what is going on. Been pretty quite. Should we give up hope or is there still hope out there?


Pirates don't give up!:epicbattl :pirateboa

LESTAT1999
Pirate
Posts: 13
Joined: 11-16-2013 05:40 PM

Post by LESTAT1999 » 11-21-2013 04:18 PM

Trying not to give up hope. Just the longer this goes on the longer i think its over? Not giving up hope yet just seeing if there is any info out there yet. my nights have never been the same when he is not on the air.

Post Reply

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”