ART Off the air........

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

My 2 Cents...

Post by Riddick » 11-15-2013 03:18 AM

Held contracturally captive by a corporation that couldn't care less about actually addressing the ongoing issues with its "so-called" live streaming service, at this very moment we have radio industry Hall-of-Famer ART BELL totally prepared to provide both a high quality show AND on-line listening experience to match for free from his website -

At the same time in all this how at all has SiriusXM shown how THEY care about you, the media consumer - "What, fix our defective Internet delivery system? Eff that ess!" Think about it - rather than find a way for Art to return to the air, even passing up his offer to work for NO PAY, they turned right around and chose to collude with celestial competitor Clear Channel to replace Dark Matter with Coast to Coast AM.

At this stage, what are the suits at SiriusXM so seriously afraid of they would gladly see the Late Night Radio Master stuck on the sidelines for the next 2 years? COMPETITION, that's what! Yet, even MORE serious may be their fear of massive blowback from a fan protest meme. Legalities are legalities and business is business - still, the administration's on the spot for the ACA botchup, wouldn't it be nice if corporations could likewise come to see the error of their ways?

FREE ART BELL!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 09:23 AM

I think sirius cares very much about their streaming service, did they not respond to Art's initial complaint by making the stream refresh longer? That is no small feat yet they did it for him in a day? Seems like they are very willing to work with artists to comply with their wishes.

I am definitely not one to stand up for corporations, but I have to call it like I see it. If I paid for exclusivity with an artist, then that artist wants to turn around and give away my valuable product for free - well, the answer will be no in almost any media-centric company. No matter that this may be good in the end for them, try making that argument about piracy to record labels.

I will not join in the protest because I think Art should be doing his show still. There is absolutely zero reason why he could not be doing it. I got burned paying up front for sirius, as did so many others. If he had actual, valid technical reasons to need to split from sirius then the NC contract would be moot anyways.

He had a small audience. He saw lots of piracy. This is the real reason, nothing to do with sirius other than he realized he made a mistake going on a closed-wall distribution system. Now he has to make it seem like sirius is to blame in order to get out of his contract, and he is going to use his fans to make this happen.

I won't get fooled again.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 10:28 AM

Art just posted this on his FB feed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-60ouziK7k&html5=1

If I were sirius I would be preparing to sue him for defamation. I mean, is he not just further burning his chances here? Fine, fans will do what they do, but he is posting it to a very public place, essentially endorsing it.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 11-15-2013 10:40 AM

Ya well he shouldnt have hooked up with them TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

And what are they gonna do if he ignores it and does something else?? NOTHING...... He isnt on THIER NETWORK ANYMORE,they could probably care less!! (That contrct just means WHILE HE IS WORKING @ XM HE CANT BE ANYWHERE ELSE)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 10:46 AM

I hope he continues on and does something. However, he dealt with the devil and now he needs to acknowledge that and face it like a man. The first thing he should be doing (should have done) is apologize profusely to his listeners. He never did this as far as I know. He just cut us off with no warning or reason. Deleted his facebook, which has nothing to do with Sirius, only his fans were hurt by that.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-15-2013 12:11 PM

Fan,

I think you are correct in that it seemed immediately the show was pirated.

One evening early on Ben was listening from somewhere and he didn't have Sirius XM but was able to hear the live show in real time.
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 12:16 PM

Diogenes wrote: Fan,

I think you are correct in that it seemed immediately the show was pirated.

One evening early on Ben was listening from somewhere and he didn't have Sirius XM but was able to hear the live show in real time.
This is the reality of all media. This is nothing strange. Everything is available for free if you want it. What it did is show Art how many listeners he was missing out on (and subsequently advertising revenue) and why he had made a mistake going behind a paywall.

I have no sympathy because I and many others were saying the whole time he needed to do this on his own in a podcast or free stream model, and he went corporate instead.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-15-2013 01:57 PM

Yeah, pretty much. I'd put it even more negatively, unfortunately.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-15-2013 02:39 PM

I am there.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-15-2013 04:14 PM

You all will never know how much I feel for you for what you are doing in trying to support me
but I am going to ask you to stop. This will only make matters worse.

Here is the bottom line, this is a job I took only because of my love of Radio, not for the money,
heck 75K is not ever going to make me rich and if Sirius does not want me they sure will not take
me because their Web Site is messed up, it will most likely just piss them off. That does not change
the love I fell for all of you for trying.

I still feel I was right in my decision to halt what I felt had no real way forward and would make the
same decision again today, I only took that decision after receiving a no to any further remedy.

Truly I do not understand why they would say no to me wanting a way to stream, then turn around and
replace me with Coast which is doing exactly what I wanted to do, maybe they we just pissed. Either way
thank you for what you are trying to to, I love you all, but please stop.

Art

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 04:30 PM

how exactly can it make matters worse?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-15-2013 04:36 PM

I'm sure he has his reasons that if he told you you'd understand.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 04:42 PM

HB3 wrote: I'm sure he has his reasons that if he told you you'd understand.
mysterious and reassuring

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 11-15-2013 04:43 PM

HB3 wrote: I'm sure he has his reasons that if he told you you'd understand.

:D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-15-2013 04:45 PM

oh ya that little defamation problem I mentioned.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”