Art says no more show

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Daneel
Pirate

Post by Daneel » 11-05-2013 05:32 PM

This is ridiculous.

The shows were good and I never had any problems with streaming, then again I mostly listened the next day at work and not live.

As for sirius, I will keep it for a while...I like it.

If this is really about the streaming issues, my guess is that both sides have invested waaay too much in all of this to just walk away. Some agreement will be reached for free streaming for a period and that will be that.

If this is about other things, $$$, ratings, guest 'wars' with C2C, etc. then who knows if it will be resolved. Art has a temper and in the past it seems like he always cools down after a period.

We will see...all I want is for the show to continue.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-05-2013 06:28 PM

Daneel wrote: If this is really about the streaming issues, my guess is that both sides have invested waaay too much in all of this to just walk away. Some agreement will be reached for free streaming for a period and that will be that.

If this is about other things, $$$, ratings, guest 'wars' with C2C, etc. then who knows if it will be resolved. Art has a temper and in the past it seems like he always cools down after a period.

We will see...all I want is for the show to continue.
Well, so much as there's been no formal public statement forthcoming from SiriusXM, mebbe that says they still do wanna try and salvage something from all this?

Though if they can't yet settle matters with Art to his liking, then it'll be his job to salvage his reputation with all the disgruntled fans. Time will tell whether his efforts in undoing the damage will be better than Brett Favre's.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-05-2013 06:52 PM

CoastZone wrote: Art did not give the show enough time to develop.
What did he expect, that the show would have a huge following right off?
Nobody has heard from him in what... 10 years?

Dark Matter needed to be built slowly and on a solid foundation. Instead Art decided to build the foundation on anger and resentment against Premier, Noory and Coast and that is a combination for failure.

Understood, but XM handicapped him right off the start with the lame streaming ability, and then pussed out when they could have made it work.

If I was promised one thing (streaming) and then my employer said "Oh, we're not going to support it", that to me is a breach of contract.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 11-05-2013 06:56 PM

Now that I have tried SiriusXM, I just don't see how it is a viable model. Other than Art, there just wasn't anything there that isn't available easier and cheaper.

fos

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-05-2013 06:56 PM

This is what the trades are sayin'
Art Bell is upset with SiriusXM over streaming. Is the late-night master of mysteries upset enough to pull back from his weeks-old “Dark Matter” show? Art posts this note on Facebook – “Sometimes when you are ‘all in’ you win, sometimes lose. By mutual agreement, Dark Matter will no longer air as of tonight.” Why the dispute? On ArtBell.com, they say Art’s “concerned that the SiriusXM streaming mobile app and web player are not up to the job (1001 errors) and suggests that we (ArtBell.com) serve the program live using other Internet streaming protocols.” But it’s not just the audio quality. Art believes the live show should be streamed free, around the world. That’s not something that SiriusXM has in their business model, because they know plenty of listening is moving to IP delivery, and they need their proprietary content to keep making money. Art’s website says under his proposal, “You would still use your SiriusXM subscription to listen to the archives on demand, and be able to download programs with your SiriusXM mobile app to listen while offline.” But Art wants his four-hour nightly “Dark Matter” program available for free, “allowing a larger audience to call in and participate.” More to come, no doubt.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-05-2013 06:56 PM

Yeah, to me it was just like cable, flipping around a million stations and still not being interested. That said, I never had a problem w/ streaming...not once.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-05-2013 07:22 PM

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 11-05-2013 08:01 PM

It is not worth $ to put my name on a petition.

Sorry

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-05-2013 08:11 PM

Agreed. I'm always concerned these are used to harvest addresses for spam.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-05-2013 08:15 PM

Would you believe I didn't sign it either?

I posted the petition mostly for "educational and entertainment purposes" - Some of the comments accompanying the sigs are interesting.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-05-2013 08:20 PM

Riddick, you really shouldn't leave comments. ;)

Person182
Pirate

Post by Person182 » 11-05-2013 11:01 PM

voguy wrote: Understood, but XM handicapped him right off the start with the lame streaming ability, and then pussed out when they could have made it work.

If I was promised one thing (streaming) and then my employer said "Oh, we're not going to support it", that to me is a breach of contract.

Online is not the only way to listen to Sirius.

Art should have been telling people to go out and buy a radio.

If he was betting everything on online streaming he should have went to another service.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-05-2013 11:10 PM

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-06-2013 12:01 AM

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-06-2013 12:34 AM

Appears Art's damage control over at Bellgab didn't go over well...
Ok, I agree, I am a washed up has been who has lost what little talent I might have had, my memory is fading fast and my skills as a Interviewer no longer exist. Like a Prize fighter who took one to many punches I am off in zombieville. I can take a hint, I am done. So I will now leave and abandon my idea of free streaming along with a life that has now lost all it's meaning. I am sorry to have crushed so many dreams and now understand full well that the real King has taken his rightful place on the throne of Bell Gab. I understand I am dead to you all.

Art

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”