Art says no more show

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-04-2013 09:55 PM

CoastZone wrote: I personally feel that Art has killed his career and pissed off his once loyal fanbase.
As a Cheesehead, IMHO? Art's latest antics cinch him as the Brett Favre of radio.

Trouble is, there's no Aaron Rodgers to take his place...

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-04-2013 10:15 PM

So, what do we do now? Take turns wormhole-ing him?
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-04-2013 10:33 PM

SquidInk wrote: So, what do we do now? Take turns wormhole-ing him?
Frankly, at this point, I'm not up for pursuing much of anything related to Brett... er, Art.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-04-2013 10:46 PM

Again, it seems like Art was pissed only a minority subscribed after their subscriptions were up. I remember all the people expressing reservations about the cost. For me, I would've paid for it if I thought the show was any good. But I didn't even listen to the pirated versions during the last week or so.

So it's a combination of things. First, the show was not good. I was wondering if I was the only one who felt this way. It seemed like a lot of people posting on Facebook, etc., were enthusiastic. But I guess that's not the case -- a lot of people picked up on what I was feeling. If the show isn't good it's hard to get people to pay to listen for it unless they have some reasonable assurance it's gonna get better, and what indication was there of that? Art could have been more forthcoming to then audience, told them what he needed and where he wanted it to go. There would've been huge support, I'd wager, had he taken that approach. But when has Art ever been forthcoming with his audience?

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 11-04-2013 10:58 PM

From horrorreport.com:

NO MORE 'MATTER'

Art Bell quit Coast to Coast AM after his 2010 Halloween show.
And now Art Bell quit Dark Matter after his 2013 Halloween show.

The hot air again blows.

The weekend of rumors and speculation regarding the potential demise of Art Bell finally ended tonight with an update on Bell's website. The page detailed Bell's request to allow free streaming of the show for four hours on Artbell.com and have Sirius XM be permitted to the downloadable portion..According to the site, Sirius XM said no.

(As expected).

Immediately afterwards, Art Bell posted this to his Facebook page:
  • Sometimes when you are “all in” you win, sometimes lose. By mutual agreement, Dark Matter will no longer air as of tonight..
Immediately after that message was posted, he deactivated his Facebook page (as we all know, it's impossible to ever delete it)..

There is an immense amount of anger among loyal Art Bell fans. Some of them are ranting on Bellgab.com (a site that was renamed that from Coastgab after Bell decided to come back) .. also, nasty comments are being placed n Artbell.com's Facebook page from listeners confused by the entire affair.

One poster on Bellgab.com writes that he received this email from Art Bell tonight responding to questions on why he left.

According to the post, as relayed by the now famed 'Bateman':
  • I started the show with the expectation that my listener's would be able to stream the show since most were coming from AM. They started the thirty day trial and found that it was dropping out on them every few minutes. After the 30 day trial most did not renew, why would they? Faced with paying about $180 bucks a Year for something that was not working right, what would you do? So I lost my base. My show is based on call in, if all I am left with is Truck drivers with cell phones going down the road at 70 MPH, well you get the idea. So I asked Sirius to allow free streaming for a Year until they could fix their problems and they said no. The show was simply not viable under these conditions.
And with that, the ride appears to be over.
Wonder how many calls Sirius will field in the next few days of people asking for partial fees back.. Perhaps that topic is summed up best with this post on Bellgab:
  • Being stuck with worthless Sirius accessories is the worst part. It's like an STD, it never leaves. I still have a ****ty plug and play unit and boombox laying around somewhere in my closet taking up space.
The very short ride is over.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-04-2013 11:20 PM

Bell is a radio icon, and will continue his show on the web. It is unfortunate that SiriusXM could not match up to his needs. Consumers can only hope that SiriusXM takes this issue seriously. There are indeed issues with the Internet platform as well as sound quality. Yes, Bell was probably expecting too many callers too quickly and did not give his show time to develop an audience from the pool of those willing to pay for radio, but Bell’s issues should not and can not be ignored.

http://siriusbuzz.com/art-bell-leaves-siriusxm.php

Ziroc
Pirate

Post by Ziroc » 11-04-2013 11:34 PM

Very disturbing indeed.... :) Sucks... I sure hope this is a negotiation stunt... if not, he could stream nightly on podcast.. it's not hard to do these days.

If he's gone for good, then so be it.. Just sucks the WAY he did this.. :(
Ziroc™
"I thought there was no Chill town!" - Howie Gordon - BB6/BB7 AS

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-04-2013 11:53 PM

Hey! Silver lining. Postings are up 68 percent over last Monday!

:bighugs:
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 11-05-2013 01:37 AM

John Hogue sent me a statement concerning Art Bell leaving Dark Matter. He wanted me to publicly share it.

http://darkmatterxm.com/threads/john-ho ... e-air.219/

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-05-2013 07:17 AM

BenSlain wrote: Hey! Silver lining. Postings are up 68 percent over last Monday!

:bighugs:

:D

Do we draw the conclusion that we as a group thirve on controversy?

On the other hand, as a group, are we getting more than a little sick and tired of drama?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-05-2013 07:17 AM

CoastZone wrote: John Hogue sent me a statement concerning Art Bell leaving Dark Matter. He wanted me to publicly share it.

http://darkmatterxm.com/threads/john-ho ... e-air.219/

Kinda strikes me as a self-serving "Told you so.........." schpiel.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-05-2013 11:40 AM

Hogue is such a "wanton opportunist" I see no favor in his "bigger" guy attitude.

I am sorry that Art didn't look into Sirius a bit closer, it appears that Art and Sirius can neither produce what was promised. Evidently this was a match made in hell, sort of speak. Get two for the price of one going up in flames. :(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-05-2013 02:39 PM

Doka wrote: Evidently this was a match made in hell, sort of speak. Get two for the price of one going up in flames. :(

:D Quite the mental picture..........

I dunno. I just do't get it.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-05-2013 05:27 PM

A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking, and ill-conceived observations from people who could never get close to having their own show, or even a podcast with a dozen or so subscribers. I especially like the comment by Garravesh.
You know what? I call BS to a degree. I had massive issues with Sirius all the errors..I still subscribed.

Maybe it's just me, but when I pay for something, I expect to be given what I purchased. Then again, based on the expectations of people who *think* they know what they are getting with Obamacare, maybe I'm giving too much credit to the intelligence of the American people. I would suggest this fellow is a candidate for the "a fool and his money" award.

I have to agree with Art that a show such as what he does is caller driven. That said, I do think Art was naive when he thought he would get the volume that Coast does. XM has always over-reported its subscribers to the point there are more on the books for stockholders to see, than Chicago has dead democrats voting.

I can understand Art's concerns in this matter, and I'm not sure I would have bailed had XM not done the right thing by allowing free-pass till they worked out the technical glitches. But, that's XM. Taking away the ability for an audience to listen is much like George having half his affiliates turned off, and expecting the same call volume.

The dynamics of this business is, you need listeners, and you need callers, to have a good show and make money. Take either away, and the quality diminishes.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 11-05-2013 05:31 PM

Originally posted by voguy
I can understand Art's concerns in this matter, and I'm not sure I would have bailed had XM not done the right thing by allowing free-pass till they worked out the technical glitches. But, that's XM. Taking away the ability for an audience to listen is much like George having half his affiliates turned off, and expecting the same call volume.

The dynamics of this business is, you need listeners, and you need callers, to have a good show and make money. Take either away, and the quality diminishes.
Art did not give the show enough time to develop.
What did he expect, that the show would have a huge following right off?
Nobody has heard from him in what... 10 years?

Dark Matter needed to be built slowly and on a solid foundation. Instead Art decided to build the foundation on anger and resentment against Premier, Noory and Coast and that is a combination for failure.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”