DM Week 3 Progress Report - So Whaddya Think?

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Compared to where it was the first week, would you say DM has:

Been nothing less than the best, just as it was to begin with
27%
Improved, though not to say it had a whole lot to improve on
20%
Stayed about the same, great at times, welcome in general
27%
Strayed further from perfection, yet is still far preferable to Noory
13%
Given me no more reason to stay on beyond the free trial period
13%

Total votes: 15

Riddick
Pirate

DM Week 3 Progress Report - So Whaddya Think?

Post by Riddick » 10-03-2013 01:41 PM

Along with the poll, if you care to elaborate on your response here's some extra score card items for consideration:
  • Things you'd like to see more of
  • Things you'd like to see less of
  • Things you'd like to see you haven't seen yet

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-03-2013 07:05 PM

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just expecting too much right outta the box (and that's very possible), but so far I'm sorta underwhelmed. I'm hoping that this is still a case of working through the quirks that comes with Sirius radio, Art trying to get used to a new production team and lining-up guests. I think that given time Art will make astrong comeback and separate himself as he has in the past.

With all that out in the open, my thoughts are:

Things you'd like to see more of - the spirit that Art displayed in bringing-in NEW subject matter and guests - people we never heard of before, topics we've never heard of before and the in-depth knowledge that Art could summon during and interview

Things you'd like to see less of - less of Hoagland and the old guests. Time to move on and separate himself from the the "old" Art, and Premier's version of Coast. While keeping to the general topics - paranormal, space, UFOs, tech, etc, I think that Art should bring-in guests that have a new perspective, maybe some new research. The old guests that have had such a lasting impact (IMHO), such as John Mack, Fr Martin, etc have passed on, and what has been occurring is a recycling of old guests that have been frequent guests on C2C that many here have already heard ad nauseum. Time to break new ground again

Things you'd like to see you haven't seen yet - ????? I dunno but for some reason I just started hearing Kurt Cobain's voice in my head and it's freaking me out................

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious

Man that's sad.........:facepalm: I am so sorry......

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 10-03-2013 08:03 PM

I'm with Kbot. It was ok to break the ice with the old crew, it is time to move on. I hope there are NEW guests to tap and not just the re-runs. At least I haven't had to dodge Ed Lames.

fos

PS. I have little use for Sirius XM other than Art. It is going to be very hard to justify $15 per month.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-03-2013 10:24 PM

kbot wrote: Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just expecting too much right outta the box (and that's very possible), but so far I'm sorta underwhelmed. I'm hoping that this is still a case of working through the quirks that comes with Sirius radio, Art trying to get used to a new production team and lining-up guests. I think that given time Art will make astrong comeback and separate himself as he has in the past.

With all that out in the open, my thoughts are:

Things you'd like to see more of - the spirit that Art displayed in bringing-in NEW subject matter and guests - people we never heard of before, topics we've never heard of before and the in-depth knowledge that Art could summon during and interview

Things you'd like to see less of - less of Hoagland and the old guests. Time to move on and separate himself from the the "old" Art, and Premier's version of Coast. While keeping to the general topics - paranormal, space, UFOs, tech, etc, I think that Art should bring-in guests that have a new perspective, maybe some new research. The old guests that have had such a lasting impact (IMHO), such as John Mack, Fr Martin, etc have passed on, and what has been occurring is a recycling of old guests that have been frequent guests on C2C that many here have already heard ad nauseum. Time to break new ground again

Things you'd like to see you haven't seen yet - ????? I dunno but for some reason I just started hearing Kurt Cobain's voice in my head and it's freaking me out................

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
I feel stupid and contagious

Man that's sad.........:facepalm: I am so sorry......

I keep wondering if perhaps it is just that we have moved on and the old saying about never being able to go home is resonating.

Perhaps it is like anything where there is only one and anything else seems like an imitation only in this case Art invented the product, sold it then walked away, then someone else picked up the ball and ran and is running with it still. C2C has momentum of sorts and Dark Matter does not seem to have momentum or energy. In the old days Art and C2C were one and it was the focus of Ramona and Art and now he has a young wife with a beautiful little girl and his mind is not solely wrapped up in Dark Matter and guests. I would imagine his intensity level is not as it once was with C2C

When we think of Art we think of JC, Fr Malachi Martin, Mel's Hole and all of those wonderful exciting and whacky folks and their tales. It was a wild ride and we never knew when the unexpected would occur but we knew it would.

:confused:
A man's character is his fate

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-04-2013 11:38 AM

Diogenes wrote: I keep wondering if perhaps it is just that we have moved on and the old saying about never being able to go home is resonating.

My thoughts exactly Dio. I want to give Art the benfit of the doubt because, even with his early shows, it took time to build up a head of steam.

I think that he's dealing with Sirius-related production issues and trying to air complaints on-air, and apologizing for Sirius' shortfalls compared to traditional AM radio which is diverting from the show.

I think too that asking listeners for guest suggestions can be seen as either brave (in terms of his willing to break new ground), or, and indication that Art's been out of commision for so long that his network of reliable, interesting guests has dwindled over the years. I'm hoping that he won't be going to the usual suspects well of Hoagland, Streiber and Howe much longer because I think that people are tired of the same cast of characters that they are already hearing frequently on Coast.

I guess maybe some updates on HAARP and related projects, the Large Hadron Collider, some updates on, say black military projects/ ops, Ghost-to-Ghost (I know it's not Halloween yet...), maybe a guest who could speak about the weird weather we've been having (is HAARP responsible for that??).

I wish I had a list of names to send in.....

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-04-2013 02:21 PM

Kbot,

I'll tell you what I bet you could send your suggestions in terms of topics and they will do the research.

I think you are right on in terms of once you get off the merry go round it takes time to pick up speed again and build up that network which is so essential in any line of business.

I was listening last night and can't remember now what it was he said or asked LMH but at the time I thought "there is that brilliant interviewing style" at work again. He never lost that as it is in his DNA.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-04-2013 04:53 PM

Well, I'll e-mail Art and hopefully he'll eventually find my e-mail. I imagine he gets a lot.....

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-04-2013 06:44 PM

E-mailed a list of guests he had on going back to his Dreamland days that I thought were interesting as well as some topics that I'd like to see that weren't/ aren't that prominent on Noory's version of Coast.

Hopefully, if he reads my e-mail, he won't think I'm wacked.......

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-04-2013 08:05 PM

Kbot,

I am sending a list as well and my wackiness will outweigh yours.:D

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-04-2013 08:14 PM

His producer no longer takes care of the bookings?

Guest Booking Contact Paul Bowman

[email protected]
Last edited by Doka on 10-04-2013 08:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-04-2013 09:22 PM

Pretty simple, really -- keep all the trappings, the bumper music, etc., but update it for the modern era.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-04-2013 11:14 PM

HB3 wrote: Pretty simple, really -- keep all the trappings, the bumper music, etc., but update it for the modern era.
Good idea! Thing is, so much as an update's not coming fast, I have to wonder how long folks will be willing to wait. As it is, the clock continues to tick away - and also with that, apparently, some degree of ongoing interest.

Soon enough it'll be a month's gone by since the show started... Remember the huge response we had here that first night? That's mostly a memory now. As the weeks have progressed, in general and by comparison live discussion threads are relatively threadbare. Where'd everybody else go? Might shrinking turnout correspond to a tune out?

Does their absence indicate time's already taken its toll, even on hardcore fans? Hot to hear Art to start, ever less glued to their radios as their initial enthusiasm's evaporated since then, were their expectations out of line? And what ABOUT Naomi?

It's said time will tell - yet, time is short, so much as to pass judgment on DM and its future prospects, any number of folks will be facing a financial decision soon enough: IS the show worth more than a 30 day freebie?

sistaelle
Pirate

Post by sistaelle » 10-05-2013 03:19 AM

"Things you'd like to see more of - the spirit that Art displayed in bringing-in NEW subject matter and guests - people we never heard of before, topics we've never heard of before and the in-depth knowledge that Art could summon during and interview

Things you'd like to see less of - less of Hoagland and the old guests. ... what has been occurring is a recycling of old guests that have been frequent guests on C2C that many here have already heard ad nauseum. Time to break new ground again"

Amen to that!!! New show-new guests.. there's got to be a lot of folks out there with great stories that haven't been on before..

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-05-2013 06:42 AM

Riddick wrote: Good idea! Thing is, so much as an update's not coming fast, I have to wonder how long folks will be willing to wait. As it is, the clock continues to tick away - and also with that, apparently, some degree of ongoing interest.

Soon enough it'll be a month's gone by since the show started... Remember the huge response we had here that first night? That's mostly a memory now. As the weeks have progressed, in general and by comparison live discussion threads are relatively threadbare. Where'd everybody else go? Might shrinking turnout correspond to a tune out?

Does their absence indicate time's already taken its toll, even on hardcore fans? Hot to hear Art to start, ever less glued to their radios as their initial enthusiasm's evaporated since then, were their expectations out of line? And what ABOUT Naomi?

It's said time will tell - yet, time is short, so much as to pass judgment on DM and its future prospects, any number of folks will be facing a financial decision soon enough: IS the show worth more than a 30 day freebie?

I dunno - I never was able to stay up all night and listen-in. I'd have to listen the next day. Even now, if there was something on Coast, I'll have to download and listen at work the next day. Same with Art. I'm getting up before 5:00 eastern time and the only Sirius connection I have is in my wife's car :D . She loves those old songs....

I think the interest is there - I just think it's going to be like starting an older model car that's been sitting in the garage for a while. A few misfires, a little low on the brake pedal, some timing issues, but once everything is tuned up it'll be fine and running like new again.....

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-05-2013 12:54 PM

kbot wrote: I dunno - I never was able to stay up all night and listen-in. I'd have to listen the next day. Even now, if there was something on Coast, I'll have to download and listen at work the next day. Same with Art. I'm getting up before 5:00 eastern time and the only Sirius connection I have is in my wife's car :D . She loves those old songs....
Yeah, even if the show's not an overnight into wee-hours thing like C2C, I can understand how a Monday-Thursday 3 hour plus late evening gig for a lot of folks isn't something they'll necessarily be up for on a regular ongoing basis.

Considering it's been 2 decades since Art's first exposure to a national audience, any number of long-time fans could be getting fairly long in the tooth, too. Bedtimes get earlier as the years advance, donchaknow.

Another issue IS simply accessibility - Back in the day, lotsa fans listened live for free OTA, or over C2C affiliate streams - EVEN then though, any number with Streamlink subs would listen later, and come here to comment.

That all said, I'm still scratching my head over folks who turned out here to start now being altogether all too conspicuous in their absence. Are they listening either live OR at their leisure, but hearing nothing worth the time to comment on?

To increase the overall level of noteworthiness and insofar DM can benefit from an update, as up to now the guest list consists largely of old-hats I imagine the "we've heard that before" factor is the key area to address...
kbot wrote: I think the interest is there - I just think it's going to be like starting an older model car that's been sitting in the garage for a while. A few misfires, a little low on the brake pedal, some timing issues, but once everything is tuned up it'll be fine and running like new again.....
Your analogy makes me think of Click and Clack, the comical yet competent mechanics on public radio's "Car Talk" call-in show -

Click: I hear Art Bell's new show isn't all it could be. So why could that be?

Clack: No doubt the performance haven't been helped by all the "old gas".

Click: Time to clean out the line and find some "new fuel" for the tank eh?

Clack: Now isn't that odd! You know, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Click: Geepers Creepers, that's ESP! Do you know what I'm thinking now?

Clack: That's one helluva great idea. Crazy enough, but it may just work.

Click: We're both crazy enough to be guests on his show, donchathink?

Clack: You know what's really crazy? I knew you were going to say that.

Click: ESP and now clairvoyance! Spooky stuff. World class weird, I'd say.

Clack: Speaking of world class weird, how is it we're NOT already guests?

Click: Like I know? I'm not the one here with all the freaky mental powers!

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”