DM Week 3 Progress Report - So Whaddya Think?

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Compared to where it was the first week, would you say DM has:

Been nothing less than the best, just as it was to begin with
27%
Improved, though not to say it had a whole lot to improve on
20%
Stayed about the same, great at times, welcome in general
27%
Strayed further from perfection, yet is still far preferable to Noory
13%
Given me no more reason to stay on beyond the free trial period
13%

Total votes: 15

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-07-2013 12:07 PM

Fan wrote: Do we want Led Zep to reform and make dubstep? No. We want good old rock and roll. Even if all they do is play their old songs... good enough for me.
Interesting you put it that way. Compared to the way it was, if there's ANY big difference with the show setup between then and now is folks wanna hear the 'tunes', they gotta pay the piper.

Y'know, there's where I could see some benefit from a bit of flexibility on the part of Sirius/XM - of course they want people to subscribe on an ongoing basis, but no doubt some folks will come to the end of their free trial and say 'thanks but no thanks' to shelling out to get the shows - There may be SOME they'd listen to, but don't wanna pay month after month just to hear those.

By my thinking, they might still get some dough out of those folks if, say, anywhere from two to four weeks after a show airs, offer it as part of a 99 cent each "ala-carte" selection on artbell.com.

I doubt that'll happen, but it's just an idea.

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 10-12-2013 04:11 PM

Diogenes wrote: Are we complaining? Oh dear I hate that.

:eek:

Complaining? No.

Lamenting? Yeah - I think so.

Art still beats the he|| outta' Snoory though! :D
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 10-12-2013 05:21 PM

The first month has gone by very quickly. I will have to decide whether it is worth $15/month to listen to Art.

I just not sure. I may keep it another month to see how the show evolves.

fos

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 10-12-2013 07:30 PM

Fan wrote:

I agree bigfoot is dumb, but lots of other subjects are not.

Sure. Until one shows up on your porch.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 10-13-2013 02:05 AM

I don't get it. All anybody on this forum ever did was wish and hope that Art would return to the airways.

He finally does and it is just like stepping into an old pair of shoes, comfy and interesting, just like the old days and the old shows not even faltering a bit from the format and ability to do the show and all the majority of members here do is complain that the show is not good enough.

I don't see much difference in the way Art does the show today and how he did them in the past. To my way of thinking it is just as if he only stepped away for a monthlong vacation.

I don't hang here during the show because all the feedback is negative. I am sure there are others who would hang out here but don't care for the complaining either. People have the right to complain, of course, but that complaining is certainly going to turn people off, keeping them away from the radio room during the show. As I recall when the radio room was monitored by Spike Mike, he didn't allow very much negativity to seep in at all.

Art said he didn't want to do a political show. Personally, I don't want Art to be an Alex Jones clone.

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 10-13-2013 07:34 AM

I for one am not complaining. Art still has all of the polish and unique ability to engage a broad range of guests. He is always on track and never seems to ask some question out of the blue that is totally off topic like another host I listen to.

Another thing I like about Art is his lack of ego. He engages his guests without trying to display his own accomplishments. Frequently on Coast, the other "start" equates his accomplishments with the likes of Michio Kaku or Shostack, saying he was engaged in science way back in middle school. Who cares?

I hope Art does come up with some of the "whackos" that he used to get. He would get calls from people that were just way out there, like the gut flying a lawn chair with helium balloons. He would dedicate an hour for aliens to call in and call them on their mistakes. The show wasn't "call screened" in the old days.

Let's bring on the bubble gum for the mind stuff.

My complaint is having to pay $15/month. Times are tough!

fos

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-13-2013 09:17 AM

Ok, Lore, now's your chance! You can handle the radio room this week and every week! Go ahead and start it up and show us how it's done!

Anyway, Art's having some sort of public to-do w/ Hogue if anyone's interested.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-13-2013 09:32 AM

HB3
Anyway, Art's having some sort of public to-do w/ Hogue if anyone's interested.

Where is it?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-13-2013 09:35 AM

Facebook...I can't copy the text.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-13-2013 10:29 AM

Lore wrote: I don't get it. All anybody on this forum ever did was wish and hope that Art would return to the airways.

He finally does and it is just like stepping into an old pair of shoes, comfy and interesting, just like the old days and the old shows not even faltering a bit from the format and ability to do the show and all the majority of members here do is complain that the show is not good enough.

I don't see much difference in the way Art does the show today and how he did them in the past. To my way of thinking it is just as if he only stepped away for a monthlong vacation.

I don't hang here during the show because all the feedback is negative. I am sure there are others who would hang out here but don't care for the complaining either. People have the right to complain, of course, but that complaining is certainly going to turn people off, keeping them away from the radio room during the show. As I recall when the radio room was monitored by Spike Mike, he didn't allow very much negativity to seep in at all.

Art said he didn't want to do a political show. Personally, I don't want Art to be an Alex Jones clone.

HI lore,

Would you be willing to take the show this Monday evening?

I bet many of us would show up and support your effort - would you be willing to do that?
A man's character is his fate

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 10-13-2013 10:31 AM

Via Art Bell's Facebook page:
"John Hogue has decided to blast me on his Facebook page AFTER the show was over, saying among other things that I was unprofessional and did not let him respond to profound questions with profound and never ending answers. You also kept saying “read my book” again and again. Yes, I did try to move you along for the sake of our listener’s. If you felt slighted you could have sent me a private message or even called, perhaps a message here on Facebook because you are in my friends list, or responded on the spot since you were there on air, but no, none of that. Not my idea of professional but alright, since you went public I guess this is the correct
forum to respond in.

I am sorry you felt hurried John but my view is that if you want a Host who will introduce you and then take a nap I know you know where to find him, not my idea of professional, or perhaps your own show where you can profoundly drone on till the cows come home. I know when a Guest is so interesting that I should just keep my mouth shut and do many times. That was not one of those nights.

DM is real Radio and I have no intention of allowing it to be hijacked by Guest’s who are unwilling to have a dialog. If you want to make a speech please run for office.

I try very hard to be polite to my Guest’s but I also have a responsibility to my listener’s if required, and it was. Sorry your feelings were hurt."
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-13-2013 10:52 AM

I remember that interview and all I remember hearing was "it's in my book or read my book". Frankly he came across to me as a huckster and evasive.

Art became a bit firm with him during the interview and frankly I appreciate Art's vigilance to his audience in that if he has to referee the interviewee be will do it.

For Hogue to go on FB to whine frankly says it all as far as I am concerned. An adult and someone with integrity and manners would have sent a PM to Art or called him.
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 10-13-2013 11:06 AM

Agreed, Diogenes. If all he wants to spew is "go by my book", then John, "go buy advertising".
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 10-13-2013 11:20 AM

Diogenes wrote: HI lore,

Would you be willing to take the show this Monday evening?

I bet many of us would show up and support your effort - would you be willing to do that?

I'll be here! It's kind of depressing to log in here and see the lack of participation. This place used to *ROCK* during the show. The only reason I haven't been showing up is the lack of "electricity" that used to pervade the place.

I realize that not being here myself only adds to the *mediocrity*, so in an attempt to "fire it back up", so to speak, I'll happily be more involved!

I for one, don't want Art to go away again, and I realize that this place has been longing for his return. I'm certainly glad he's back even though it's costing $15 dollars a month to listen. I'm not sure I'm going to stick with Sirius, cause as everyone is saying, times are tough. But I thought to myself, "Two dang D'Giorno pizza's are about $15 dollars here." We like D'Giorno's, and usually have a couple during the month. I'm certainly willing to give these up to listen to Art.

Maybe everyone doesn't have something they could give up in exchange. I do, (and it ain't much, I know), and I think it's worth it for now.

Ok - I'm gonna quit blabbering on now. :D

In short - I'll be in here Monday night! Image

(edit: I miss Spike Mike - he was a blast! lol!)
Last edited by Doug on 10-13-2013 04:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-13-2013 01:06 PM

Right on, Doug. Well, I've only been starting the threads because no one else was, but it's true, I'm probably not the best guy to be doing it. If it so happens that no one else starts the thread tomorrow -- which, strangely, I suspect will be the case -- I'll start it again. :)

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”