Art Bell's Dark Matter Sept. 25th with Matthew Alper

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-26-2013 10:26 AM

So, I see posting here was on the light side last night. A new low, actually, though outside of Tuesday this whole week so far has seen less activity than any day since the show started... At the same time this show thread also has the all-around dubious honor of having activity drop to zero ahead of the show's end, eariler than any thread thus far.

Anyone listening to the show last night catch anything unusually exciting or particularly "brainy" in the conversation? Indeed, was any new ground of note covered...?

Or rather than the same old, or the kind of of thing to put people to sleep, maybe Matthew Alper needs to freshen up his act?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-26-2013 10:36 AM

I am about to start listening... although signs here are not encouraging :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 09-26-2013 11:02 AM

Honestly, I felt the show was not particularly interesting. This was mainly due to the arrogance and obnoxious manner of Matthew Alper. Interesting topic, lousy guest in my opinion. Alper was a real turnoff.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-26-2013 11:08 AM

he don't believe nothing
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-26-2013 11:45 AM

I am an hour in and I don't find the guest that obnoxious yet, although I am on the same basic page as him, so maybe that is why. It is a tough pill to swallow I understand, and he is rather forceful in his beliefs.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-26-2013 12:20 PM

Well, in answer to Riddick's query, yes, I'm finding the show incredibly boring. I skipped Alper last night thinking I'd check back in on open lines, but it seemed like Alper was still on, so I gave up.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-26-2013 12:23 PM

I find it boring because Art is trying to get him to agree he does believe in god under certain circumstances, and then telling him that his non-belief is a religion (fine as a small point, but Art just spent 30mins doing this), etc... I mean the guy has a valid scientific theory, one that seems to make sense. Talk about the ramifications of this, and its impact on society, the future, how this could be manipulated or used, etc etc... Trying to trick him into saying he believes in god under certain impossible circumstances is a waste of time. The guest is pretty patient I must say.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-26-2013 12:26 PM

...and Art saying he has brain damage. /cringe

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-26-2013 12:34 PM

I didn't even get to that point, but yeah, it seems like the extra content Art keeps talking about is really just more of the same stuff. I guess Art was making the Platonic argument that any recourse to reasoned discourse must entail a higher order of Logos that exists independently of the physical universe. That's basically correct. You can't perceive it but you can determine its existence through a process of dialectical reasoning. See: the Plato's Theory of Forms.

On the other hand, anything that focuses attention on the genetics of the brain is highly necessary in the current cultural climate, and social policy based on that would be infinitely preferable to the potpourri of insanity we've got today.
Last edited by HB3 on 09-26-2013 12:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-26-2013 12:50 PM

HB3 wrote: I didn't even get to that point, but yeah, it seems like the extra content Art keeps talking about is really just more of the same stuff. I guess Art was making the Platonic argument that any recourse to reasoned discourse must entail a higher order of Logos that exists independently of the physical universe. That's basically correct. You can't perceive it but you can determine its existence through a process of dialectical reasoning. See: the Plato's Theory of Forms.

and Aristotle would say that such a link is imagined since it can neither be described or proven nor can the Forms describe the full spectrum of physical existence. There are different philosophical understandings of these higher-order thought processes of humans, and I think you are right that this is at the base of the "misunderstandings" both in this show and in society-at-large.

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 09-26-2013 01:16 PM

Yea, this is the first episode of Dark Matter that I didn't listen to all the way. The guest just wasn't much to listen to.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-26-2013 05:01 PM

One other thing I keep meaning to mention -- the change to a cell-phone oriented society is really jacking up open lines. Though it would probably be pointless, Art should keep telling people that if they have the option, please call on a landline. It's so incredibly lame to hear, over and over again, that "digital garbage" sound of a failing cellphone connection before the caller can even get a word out.

On the bright side, it did finally end the "King Sasquatch" interview, though Art actually let it happen twice (!) before he finally said ok, that it. An ignominious end to one of the worst interviews of all time.

Riddick
Pirate

A Few Odds and Ends...

Post by Riddick » 09-26-2013 05:02 PM

Fan wrote: ...and Art saying he has brain damage. /cringe
Woo! Suggesting a guest qualifies for a head exam? That's pretty strong meat ainit. Still, who's to say what's really going on there isn't so much any actual physical damage, as to whatever extent at times the wiring of ANYONE'S brain can cause a particular process TO seriously kick into high gear at as a result of external stimuli -

Hmmm... That has me thinking, instead of going over the same old Godly grey matter territory? To GET ahead of things before the next time he appears on DM, BOTH for AND on his part personally and professionally Alper really ought take time to add a no less interesting cranial companion tome to his "head examining" resume eh!...
--
"I'm here with author Matthew Alper discussing 'The ODD Part of the Brain' - and in the very few minutes we have here remaining with my guest, there's one last area of interest I'd like to cover if we may -

"More than happy to stay overtime, fire away, Art!"

"In reading your new book cover-to-cover, I must say, even as it's a look at the power OF implausible thinking, in that it IS all you say it's 'cracked-up' to be I was particularly piqued by the section on utter nonsense and its ability to turn the head PURPLE - Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Matthew?"

"I think so, Art... but if a deep purple head is the goal, is that really something between the two of us we need yet attempt to accomplish here for listeners tonight - especially as far and away folks are apt to hear way more than enough complete AND utter nonsense tuning in to ANY Coast to Coast AM show hosted by George Noory?"

"Well, you surprise me, Matt!"

"Seriously? How so Art?"

"That's not such a terribly off-the-wall thought to ponder on, is it?"

"I wouldn't be too sure about that - Truth is, anyone who's heard him should know unlike you his work on the mic during interviews and otherwise can be pretty consistently Out-of-this-World looney, Art."

"Seriously? How so Matt?"

"There's this old 'Outer Limits' TV episode, 'Keeper of the Purple Twilight'? If mastering nothing else in his ongoing efforts George is doing a bang up job nailing down THAT title ON a regular week-in week-out basis."

"(laughs) Well, folks, so much as that's true, you didn't hear it from ME. But even beyond George - say people can't catch his divine looniness as often as they'd like yet still want a purple head in the worst way - and insofar we ARE about ready to wrap up things up here, any last words of advice for the audience tonight?"

"NARF! ZORT! TROZ! POIT! Ha-ha!"

"Odd words indeed."
Last edited by Riddick on 09-26-2013 05:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 09-26-2013 07:40 PM

Originally posted by HB3
Though it would probably be pointless, Art should keep telling people that if they have the option, please call on a landline.

I work for Apple as an iOS advisor & You wouldn't believe the percentage of calls we get from people who are having problems with their iPhone...calling on the same iPhone they need help troubleshooting!
Many of these don't even have an alternative line to use.

Makes it a bit interesting....

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”