Why don't they use Skype?

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

rstaton
Pirate

Why don't they use Skype?

Post by rstaton » 09-22-2013 01:23 AM

With the good sound quality of satellite radio, we can now hear a huge difference between the sound quality of Art's voice and the guests who call in via telephone. I was thinking this is low-tech and outdated. They should be using a Skype-to-Skype connection with a good headset. If you've ever tried that, you know there's a huge difference.

If they got that working, they could have the listeners call in that way too! No more muffled and garbled phone calls!

Is there any good reason they don't do this?

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-22-2013 08:50 AM

Listening to the show with Dr Greer last week a caller Skype'd-in and it appeared that there were issues with delays and the sound quality didn't seem all that good (at least on-air anyway...)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-22-2013 09:31 AM

Technology is only beneficial when it works. Otherwise, it's "cute".
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

rstaton
Pirate

Post by rstaton » 09-22-2013 01:51 PM

kbot wrote: Listening to the show with Dr Greer last week a caller Skype'd-in and it appeared that there were issues with delays and the sound quality didn't seem all that good (at least on-air anyway...)

That was Skype-to-analog telephone, which is indeed WORSE than just analog telephone. I am talking about Skype-to-Skype. There is a HUGE difference.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-23-2013 11:19 AM

I don't know the particulars, just what I heard on the show. I don't even know if analog was even mentioned in the conversation. Art just told the caller to turn off his radio, which he did, but the sound quality was sill bad.

Even then, I know that Art has had issues with cell phones, and it may be that, unless everyone is playing on the same level playing field - all using the exact same equipment with the exact same minimum network capabilities, that the idea probably won't catch on - at least, not right away.

I guess that you need to ask Art.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-23-2013 06:19 PM

There are some cellphones which are just crappy. One of my friends has one that is so distorted, I refuse to take his calls. The problem is, if you have a crappy cellphone, YOU don't know it.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-23-2013 06:27 PM

I hear ya. But, sometimes it's not even so much the phone as it is the network. My son has a great phone, but the network his phone operates on sucks at time. There have been occasions when he's sent text messages that have literally taken days to be received.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-25-2013 01:18 PM

skype is often worse quality than a cell phone even. It depends very heavily on hardware on both sides, and network connection. At the least, the latency is usually no good for something like you know, actually talking to someone.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-25-2013 01:19 PM

the point is that you can't force callers or even guests to use skype AND have a headset AND have a reliable internet connection. Many podcasts who rely on this actually send their guests a headset before the interview, as well as instructions on forwarding ports, shutting down all internet usage during the show etc...
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-25-2013 04:05 PM

Fan wrote: the point is that you can't force callers or even guests to use skype AND have a headset AND have a reliable internet connection. Many podcasts who rely on this actually send their guests a headset before the interview, as well as instructions on forwarding ports, shutting down all internet usage during the show etc...

Yeah....... I don' think Sirius would do that. :D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-25-2013 04:09 PM

kbot wrote: Yeah....... I don' think Sirius would do that. :D
no, but they definitely should not allow guests to be on a cell phone. That is just crazy.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”