Dark Matter Week One is Pretty Much Done - So Whaddya Think?

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

What grade would you give Art's return to radio?

Triple A Incredible - Bell's the best there is, the best there was and the best there'll ever be. He da MAN!!
47%
A - It's been everything anyone could ask for, if not well more.
7%
B - VERY good stuff. Not perfect, but what is?
20%
C - Acceptable, but there's clearly room for improvement.
13%
D - Art is the Master no more. Make Mine Noory!
7%
F - Total crap would be a step up. Where's Mike Siegal when you need him?
7%

Total votes: 15

Riddick
Pirate

Dark Matter Week One is Pretty Much Done - So Whaddya Think?

Post by Riddick » 09-20-2013 02:45 PM

Not being in on the listening or chats myself, I've been looking at the nightly goings-on here this last week with an eye towards interest levels.

After their Monday peak, the number of posts per discussion thread dropped by about half on Tuesday, with that number MORE than halved Wednesday before some slight abatement Thursday in the ongoing daily decline. The number of views display a similar falling-off. For any thread tonight, it's hard to see how any turn-out tumble will be no less worse being as it is a Monday night replay, to be followed in turn by re-airings of other shows over the weekend.

That all said, the numbers here appear to be following a path not unlike the 'box office' results of a new release, the difference being movies get pulled from theaters eventually while Art's new show will stay put - that is, of course, provided enough people continue to tune in -

So then, far as staying power's concerned, at this point going on from here whaddya think, folks? Does Dark Matter have all it takes to BE more than just a "flash in the pan"? And even so much as it indeed "keeps on truckin'", based on the show so far can you see yourself sticking to it like a scotch tape for the "long haul"?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-20-2013 02:51 PM

Art himself is excellent -- truly a natural. But as I posted elsewhere, he needs to re-orient the show's focus if he wants it to seem relevant. I'm not even sure if that's his priority, and in a sense I wouldn't blame him if it wasn't.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-20-2013 04:16 PM

I've been playing catch-up by listening to recorded sessions but I think that there is going to be an understandable period where Art adjusts to new ownership and personalities and their corporate goals - as with the advertizing issues.

I think also that Art is drawing upon some familiar guests from the past to assist in the transition - maybe not the best choices in retrospect, but I think that someone has already said that Art said he would most probably do this for the first week, so no surprise there...

I thought that it was brilliant to bring back his old announcer and his choices of bumper music was (IMO) well received.

I am sincerely hoping that Art will broaden the horizon with the cutting-edge topics we all know that he is capable of providing on his show. We're still very early into this new venture, but I think that Art will kill it an knock the ratings out of the park once he gets his feet wet and develops a comfort level.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”