Usenet and Other Things

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-02-2013 07:24 PM

alleyrulez wrote: that is usually how I get the Stern show, but for Art, I think I am actually going to start paying. I have the radio already, just need to reactivate it...

I bet anything you are right. Probably get it of usenet befor the replay is even done.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 08-13-2013 11:51 AM

BenSlain wrote: I bet anything you are right. Probably get it of usenet befor the replay is even done.

Wow! I haven't used usenet since about 1997. Anyone have info on what to use for it nowadays? I searched briefly, but figured y'all would be "in the know", so why not get the scoop from a fellow pirate!

TIA! :D
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 08-13-2013 01:33 PM

Doug wrote: Wow! I haven't used usenet since about 1997. Anyone have info on what to use for it nowadays? I searched briefly, but figured y'all would be "in the know", so why not get the scoop from a fellow pirate!

Not that I condone such acts.
But I have used Giganews and Grabit for windows, along with Unison for OSX.
The old Art Bell newsgroup is still online but last I looked it was mostly spam and hate messages.

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 08-13-2013 02:24 PM

CoastZone wrote: Not that I condone such acts.
But I have used Giganews and Grabit for windows, along with Unison for OSX.
Thanks!
The old Art Bell newsgroup is still online but last I looked it was mostly spam and hate messages.

Yeah... that's why I haven't used it. It's kind of pathetic, unless you like flame wars, hate, and spam. Sad.
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-13-2013 03:26 PM

Doug wrote: Wow! I haven't used usenet since about 1997. Anyone have info on what to use for it nowadays? I searched briefly, but figured y'all would be "in the know", so why not get the scoop from a fellow pirate!

honestly, it is filled with illegal files, scary crap, spam, junk and etc.. go check it out at your own risk, and expect to get a knock on the door unless you are very very careful.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 08-13-2013 03:42 PM

Fan wrote: honestly, it is filled with illegal files, scary crap, spam, junk and etc.. go check it out at your own risk, and expect to get a knock on the door unless you are very very careful.

Nah. I've decided that it's probably not worth the hassle. (Mostly of sorting through the ENDLESS, MINDLESS, SPAM and pr0n, and... utter "crapola" just to locate the possible good content!)

I'll stick with the higher road! :D

Edit to say: this was a good refresher course for me to remember why I quit it years ago!
Last edited by Doug on 08-13-2013 03:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-13-2013 04:31 PM

Fan wrote: honestly, it is filled with illegal files, scary crap, spam, junk and etc.. go check it out at your own risk, and expect to get a knock on the door unless you are very very careful.

Best to set filters in your reader, (I use Agent), to highlight only files ending with MP3, and then for good measure run a scan on them. I have my reader set to delete everything else. Usenet is like Friday night in Deadwood in the late 1800s. Anything goes.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-13-2013 11:57 PM

I use Grab-it for windows and Mac. I use Thundernews that I pay 12 bucks a month for sixty gigs. I pay 15 bucks a year for the Grab-It search function. You don't have to but it makes it a thousand times better.

(when I say I I mean it's what YOU can do or use) :)

I'm not condoning anything here but I don't get what you are all saying. I can get any tv show before any of you can get it on Netflix or what ever. I can get any song or album ever written and released within a day of the release.

There are a lot of Arts old shows not to mention every talk show in the nation from the day before. Any similar popular one anyway.

I pretty much use a Mac so I have never gotten a virus or anything. Windows? Like anything else you take your chances. Protect yourself.

Spam? Not that much. After a while you learn who's good and who is not.

And the chance of getting caught (knock on the door) is minimal compared to all the other web based file sharing deals So few people use or even know what newsgroups are now a days it's not even worth the effort to hunt them down. It's not peer to,peer so it's hard to find people

Most people who get caught and made examples of are nabbed because the are UPLOADING tons of data. And you can see that when you p to p with them.

Again (Eric Holder) I'm not condoning anything here. Especially (Lars from Metalica) downloading music.
Last edited by BenSlain on 08-13-2013 11:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 08-14-2013 12:20 AM

BenSlain wrote: Again (Eric Holder) I'm not condoning anything here. Especially (Lars from Metalica) downloading music.

LOL!! ;)

Still thinking, but I'm not willing to pay anything, so it's a bit more effort to sort. As far as virulent strains of code go, I'm well protected. I just built this rig the middle of June, been running antivirus, and firewall (not micro$UCK's)... and am a bit of a coder, so I'm alright when it comes to security.

So what it amounts to is time, and I'm just plain too lazy - I'll cut out some of my data plan, and grab the Sirius membership. Hell - I don't use all the data I pay for anyway.
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-14-2013 09:29 AM

BenSlain wrote: And the chance of getting caught (knock on the door) is minimal compared to all the other web based file sharing deals So few people use or even know what newsgroups are now a days it's not even worth the effort to hunt them down. It's not peer to,peer so it's hard to find people
No, it is much easier. There is one central server which is recording everything you do. In P2P you have to (as a law officer) connect to the computer directly as a peer in order to get IP information. I am not trying to scare you, but I urge you to trust me that I know how this works, don't be unaware of the danger. If it is just copyright infringement then you won't get a knock, but you may get a letter of demand and a fine, however if you go into the darker regions you will definitely be watched closely. Usenet is a very closely monitored places especially by large operations like interpol. Be safe.

When you pirate media you can certainly get it before it is on Netflix. Not because it is a "faster" method, but because that is where stolen stuff ends up. Netflix has to arrange deals with the content producers to pay the for the content it will broadcast. It is like saying "hey if I go down to the corner thug I can get the brand new ipod for half what apple sells it for".

None of this has anything to do with Sirius radio, and I think that Art deserves to be paid for his work. Sure, things will leak out, but usenet, torrents, emule, etc are not "alternate" ways to listen to the show, they are ways to steal the show. Let call a spade a spade.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 08-14-2013 06:18 PM

Agreed, Fan.
In addition to that, for every one of us who, at one time or another, bemoaned George Noory's version of Coast to Coast AM...we now have Art Bell back.
It is time to place forth an action plan to ensure we support the man that we didn't want to leave in the first place.
Last edited by CoastZone on 08-14-2013 08:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-14-2013 06:22 PM

Yeah, exactly. It's a little disheartening to see all the cries for Art's return almost immediately give way to, "How can I steal his product"?

I mean, get used to it, guys. Micropayments and narrow-casting are the new way.

I don't know if Art can make the transition, but I'll give it a shot. He is.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-15-2013 01:17 AM

Good points Fan

My Sirius is paid up to next year for one car and the net. Mi can listen to the car and one device at the same time. But not two devices at the same time.:realmad:

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-15-2013 01:20 AM

HB3 wrote: Yeah, exactly. It's a little disheartening

HELLO!............. PIRATES!!!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-15-2013 10:34 AM

Gee, I thought even pirates had a code of conduct. Guess not...

Seriously, I have my doubts about the show. But I'm sure I can figure this out during the 'free' period. if the show's no good I won't want to listen to it anyway. Noory's show is free....

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”