Noory's poor reaction

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Ironleg
Pirate

Noory's poor reaction

Post by Ironleg » 08-11-2013 03:23 AM

Its odd that Noory would react the way he did, since Art got him the job.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-11-2013 04:55 AM

Yes and Art isnt going to have anywhere near as many listeners SO I DONT KNOW WNY GEORGE IS UPSET!!

Its sad he could only get on XM :(

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-11-2013 09:13 AM

I consider Art a very fine interviewer, he is a real Pro. Something George has chosen to ignore or just can't "get it". I believe he is totally intimidated, by Art. As well he should be. :eek:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-11-2013 11:33 AM

I've been on a ship for 10 days - virtually no interet.

Are we talking about George not going on Arts show or another reaction?
A man's character is his fate

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-11-2013 02:06 PM

Dude111 wrote: Yes and Art isnt going to have anywhere near as many listeners SO I DONT KNOW WNY GEORGE IS UPSET!!

First, it's presumption to state that he "could only get on XM". Fact is, we are not privy to offers Art may or may not have received upon the expiration of his contract with PremRat. It is quite possible, and I suspect the case that SiriusXM simply offered the most attractive deal. I'm guessing that schedules, work load (he has stated that he wants to spend time with his family), and overall flexibility was likely a factor in accepting a deal to broadcast via satellite radio as opposed to terrestrial radio with syndicated networks.

Second, as far as the number of listeners Art will have. You're statement is a guess, certainly not a fact. Here are a few facts for you though:

1. Plenty of listeners of the current C2C are simply sticking around out of habit. They began during the Art Bell days, and listen now due to lack of alternatives. One would have to bury their head deep under the sand indeed to not be aware of the number of listeners who have been openly pining away for a suitable alternative to C2C with Noory as host. Well, now they have a bit of an option. It may not be live while C2C is on, but still mighty fresh and definitely rebroadcast during the live C2C show. Best case scenario for Noory is that Art's new show pulls a minimal number of these old school listeners from C2C due to the show being on Satellite Radio. That's the best case scenario, and it's a net loss for Noory regardless. I'm one of those listeners who still occasionally tunes in to C2C, but for 50 cents a day, I'm making the move to SiriusXM and listening to the real deal. No more C2C for me.

2. Since Art's retirement, the show has deteriorated as far as both affiliates and number of listeners are concerned. At it's peak during Art's days, the show boasted MANY more listeners (who seemed at least to also be far more excited and engaged than is the current case) than it has thus far in the shows fading Noory years. Additionally, the quality of affiliates has deteriorated significantly. When you take a look at the affiliate list, a lot of big clear channel stations have been replaced with pea-shooters. Noory is probably lucky that PremRat includes C2C in package deals for some of the big political shows - on it's own, the situation might be considerably worse. You know, it was a big deal when WABC in NYC picked up Coast. In my opinion it was a big deal when it dropped it as well. The show now resides on the also plenty powerful, but far less prestigious and far more local WOR. And on WOR, they have been scaling back the show over the past couple years, dropping it in favor of herbal supplement infomercials some evenings. Not a good sign in the largest market in the nation.

3. Art will likely be pulling guests from the same pool as George, and this may have an impact on the program as well (hopefully not Hoagland - who I suspect may be paid at this point by PremRat anyway to appear as a correspondent on C2C). There have been a few occasions where I've listened to some of Art's old guests (Michio Kaku stands out in my mind), and the quality of questions was stunningly poor in comparison to when Art hosted the show. In fact, in my opinion, you could occasionally hear it in the exasperated silence which followed many of these off-topic questions that were seemingly read off of pre-prepared post-it notes (No George, angels have nothing to do with quantum physics and the discussion of black holes in space).

Long story short, there don't appear to be many positive impacts for George here, and certainly a few potentially negative ones (none more so than the renewed with a vengeance comparisons between the hosts sure to be discussed amongst the fans).

Plenty for George to be less than thrilled about as far as I am concerned.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 08-11-2013 03:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 08-11-2013 02:10 PM

One thing I will say that I am looking forward to finding out is the truth about JC.

If George continues to use him, and he is in fact a plant, then Art may well come out and say so.

On the other hand, if he suddenly pops up on Art's show, it's a great opportunity for George to get a little dig in at Art if JC is indeed not on the level.

Personally, I hope he pops up on both shows and turns out to be the real deal. Somehow knowing there are deranged lunatics like him out there makes the world a more interesting place to me :)
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-11-2013 02:24 PM

I too am hoping for a return of JC and maybe even Mel will surface.

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 08-11-2013 02:50 PM

Somehow I doubt the real JC would ever pay for a Sirius/XM subscription to listen to Art Bell who he called the "Devil's Mouthpiece"
:coolhat:

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 08-11-2013 02:52 PM

Diogenes wrote: I too am hoping for a return of JC and maybe even Mel will surface.

didn't Mel end up falling down that deep hole? ::p

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-11-2013 03:07 PM

Big possibility:)

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-12-2013 01:59 AM

Dude111 wrote: Yes and Art isnt going to have anywhere near as many listeners SO I DONT KNOW WNY GEORGE IS UPSET!!

Sirius has millions of subscribers.

They don't judge shows as much by ratings as terrestrial radio.

Oh yeah. Terrestrial radio is near dead. Satellite radio and internet radio are the future. Internets better but sat is easier. Some day...soon...internet radio will be cheap and easy.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

alleyrulez
Pirate

Post by alleyrulez » 08-16-2013 11:15 AM

those who are on Art's Facebook page would know that Art apparently rejected many offers to come back to terrestrial radio, but he wanted to do it on his terms.

and he is on SiriusXM, not just "XM".

regarding the pool of guests - there may be some hiccups initially, but everyone will find their way to Art's show.

the GIS is already scheduled, I believe.

I know, many of you don't like them as a guest, but I am excited.

George has reason to worry.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-16-2013 02:03 PM

alleyrulez wrote:
the GIS is already scheduled, I believe.

GAH. Bad news. Of course they're "already scheduled" -- they're pretty much all Art had on the last couple years.

alleyrulez
Pirate

Post by alleyrulez » 08-16-2013 04:04 PM

HB3 wrote: GAH. Bad news. Of course they're "already scheduled" -- they're pretty much all Art had on the last couple years.

told ya not many people would be happy.

at least not here.

to be honest, at this point, I don't CARE who Art has on...just that he is ON.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 08-16-2013 06:31 PM

The GIS was the only thing I'd turn off when Art was hosting. Safely non-controversial while still fulfilling the market niche.

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”