Sirius Radio Talk

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 09-17-2013 11:29 PM

Jeeze:rolleyes: I'm at work listening on my app and just for chuckles I went to Shoutcast to check and it's streaming live there right now. In more than one stream.

12:30 est

How they get away with that?
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-17-2013 11:47 PM

BenSlain wrote: Jeeze:rolleyes: I'm at work listening on my app and just for chuckles I went to Shoutcast to check and it's streaming live there right now. In more than one stream.

I have no idea but I just went to Shoutcast and sure enough - on live 9:45 PST.

Who would know.
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-18-2013 08:58 AM

BenSlain wrote: Jeeze:rolleyes: I'm at work listening on my app and just for chuckles I went to Shoutcast to check and it's streaming live there right now. In more than one stream.

how do you shut them down? These are individuals with their own computer... I mean you have to get a court order to get their address and IP from the ISP, then you have to send them a cease and desist. It takes weeks at least.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-18-2013 05:04 PM

For those of us who are time-challenged, and who either won't or can't put-out for Sirius, the shows are apparently, now available on Youtube.

Listening (and recording) the first show now. Of course, it'll be four hours of recording but it will be worth listening to later on...... And adding to the archive, of course :D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-18-2013 05:19 PM

kbot wrote: For those of us who are time-challenged, and who either won't or can't put-out for Sirius, the shows are apparently, now available on Youtube.

Listening (and recording) the first show now. Of course, it'll be four hours of recording but it will be worth listening to later on...... And adding to the archive, of course :D
You do not need to record it in real-time, install VideoDownloadhelper in firefox (or many other such addons) and just download the whole video. You can then easily strip an mp3 out of it if you wish. I just did it yesterday, total time was about 4 minutes.

Note that these are not endorsed by Sirius and will likely get taken down quickly. This is not an "official" way to listen to the shows of course.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-18-2013 06:10 PM

Fan wrote: You do not need to record it in real-time, install VideoDownloadhelper in firefox (or many other such addons) and just download the whole video. You can then easily strip an mp3 out of it if you wish. I just did it yesterday, total time was about 4 minutes.

Note that these are not endorsed by Sirius and will likely get taken down quickly. This is not an "official" way to listen to the shows of course.

OK. Tried that......... and started to read the "terms and Conditions" and thought.... "Nah....... too much crap involved".

But I went back agreed to the terms and conditions, downloaded the programs and got error messages from Kapersky Labs basically saying "Don't download this", but I did anyway and immediately got bombarded with all kinds of ads, and just did an uninstall.

Think I'm gonna pass on this option and do it the long way for now. Can't afford to crash my computer again.....

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-18-2013 06:25 PM

kbot wrote: OK. Tried that......... and started to read the "terms and Conditions" and thought.... "Nah....... too much crap involved".

But I went back agreed to the terms and conditions, downloaded the programs and got error messages from Kapersky Labs basically saying "Don't download this", but I did anyway and immediately got bombarded with all kinds of ads, and just did an uninstall.

Think I'm gonna pass on this option and do it the long way for now. Can't afford to crash my computer again.....
There are no ads, it is a free extension, you have to go to addons in firefox, it is not something you download as an exe. Anyways, just saying there are many ways to suck a video off youtube, and that way you just get the normal file to do with as you choose.

This is what I was referring to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... oadhelper/ it is the second most downloaded extension after adblock, so it is definitely legit. I have used it for years, it lets you directly download any video pretty much.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 09-18-2013 06:53 PM

Fan wrote: how do you shut them down? These are individuals with their own computer... I mean you have to get a court order to get their address and IP from the ISP, then you have to send them a cease and desist. It takes weeks at least.

could they go after Shoutcast for providing the resource to stream?
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-18-2013 07:22 PM

BenSlain wrote: could they go after Shoutcast for providing the resource to stream?
It would be incredibly hard since shoutcast is providing no content. They could maybe force them not to list it in searches, but even that would be hard.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-18-2013 07:30 PM

@Fan: So you go get Video DownloadHelper, then what do you do to get the program?
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-18-2013 07:36 PM

kbot wrote: For those of us who are time-challenged, and who either won't or can't put-out for Sirius, the shows are apparently, now available on Youtube.

That is correct - it's all about the archive. ;)
A man's character is his fate

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-18-2013 07:48 PM

I must be missing something as I see promos there, but no complete shows.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-18-2013 08:39 PM

Diogenes wrote: That is correct - it's all about the archive. ;)

:D

Yes it is. I managed to download Art's first night and will eventually catch-up with others - and I'm sure try other means, but at this point I'm just glad to be able to listen-in, albeit after the fact - I just can't stay up late to listen in.

Fan - I will try your suggestion. Thanks. I clicked on what I thought was a Firefox add-on, but in retrospect, may not have been an "official" add-on. Hey, if it's faster, that's better.......

Gotta get ready for bed and work tomorrow.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-18-2013 08:42 PM

voguy wrote: @Fan: So you go get Video DownloadHelper, then what do you do to get the program?

that IS the program (it is a program that runs inside firefox), once installed you will see a little 3 colored ball (it is monochrome until you hit a video it can grab) on the very bottom bar of your browser. When you are on a site watching a video you want to grab you will see those balls animate and move. You click that icon and the rest is self-explanatory.

here is a walkthrough

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-18-2013 08:45 PM

voguy wrote: I must be missing something as I see promos there, but no complete shows.

I went to Youtube, typed-in "Art Bell Dark Matter Michio Kaku" and came up with a few versions of the same show with varying times.

I downloaded the complete four-hour show (commercials and all), but there are some here that are slightly over three hours. I don't know if they stripped-out the commercials, bumper music or what.....

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”