"Art Bell's Dark Matter"

Discussion forum for Art Bell's new show on the internet, Midnight in the Desert. Come in and discuss the latest news on Art, the show and guests.

Moderator: Super Moderators

pattiwacki
Pirate

Post by pattiwacki » 08-30-2013 08:57 PM

voguy wrote: Whiskey & weed, and groupies and things. Early top-40 radio was interesting. If they came in the studio in the morning, they usually were up all night.

We had plenty of interesting people go through stations I worked at. In the early years it was musicians, then for a while I worked at the ill-faded NBC News & Information Service, and we had politicians and newsmakers come through. Back into contemporary radio, and in '85 I got into TV. I miss radio. It was creative and unscripted. I also grateful for my studio days and meeting some of the artists that came in. Some had egos, some were just nice people that happened to have hit songs. (What the hell ever happened to music like that?)

All the AMs I worked at were directionals, one being 12 towers 50/5kw. RCA Ampliphase transmitters, with DAP310 processors. I cried when the KHJ towers were knocked down. Those were the days! ((sigh))

voguy, you were a Boss Jock? KHJ was awesome!
Viva noche, viva vida!

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-30-2013 10:02 PM

voguy wrote: Some of those old phones can be shined up and preserved a little by using "Mothers Auto Wax". You get it at Auto Zone or a car store. This kind of stuff is just cool to use sometime, but it humbles you after holding a 10oz cellphone.

Mothers Auto Wax? Never heard of it but will give it a try.

Yes the sheer weight of these vintage phones is amazing.
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-30-2013 10:07 PM

:coolhat:
Last edited by Diogenes on 08-30-2013 10:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

pattiwacki
Pirate

Post by pattiwacki » 08-30-2013 11:13 PM

Love it, Diogenes!
Viva noche, viva vida!

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-31-2013 12:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pattiwacki
Love it, Diogenes! [/QUOTE

Me too and such fun and good memories.

Great radio personalities and music.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 08-31-2013 09:05 PM

Diogenes wrote: Mothers Auto Wax? Never heard of it but will give it a try.

Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Supply should carry it. You could probably use any auto wax, but I've found that Mothers gives a slightly better shine.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

rslawsky
Pirate

Just heard the news

Post by rslawsky » 09-05-2013 08:55 AM

I have Sirius in the car and just heard this yesterday. I almost drove off the road. I haven't listened to C2C for years, but I was with Art since he was on 80 stations up until his last retirement. I was listening the night he first quit & I once wrote an article that appeared in the After Dark newsletter.
I was surprised and a bit pleased to see Keith Rowland is doing his website. As I recall Keith had a somewhat strained relationship with the fans toward the end of his tenure.
My Sirius subscription includes a desktop app as well. I was on the fence about maintaining it because at $21.99 a month it was a bit pricey. It's a moot point now.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Just heard the news

Post by Fan » 09-05-2013 09:03 AM

rslawsky wrote: I have Sirius in the car and just heard this yesterday. I almost drove off the road. I haven't listened to C2C for years, but I was with Art since he was on 80 stations up until his last retirement. I was listening the night he first quit & I once wrote an article that appeared in the After Dark newsletter.
I was surprised and a bit pleased to see Keith Rowland is doing his website. As I recall Keith had a somewhat strained relationship with the fans toward the end of his tenure.
My Sirius subscription includes a desktop app as well. I was on the fence about maintaining it because at .99 a month it was a bit pricey. It's a moot point now.

Welcome back to the Art fold :) The whole thing is rather a shock, but with Art you just never know.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-05-2013 03:20 PM

I'm gonna repeat my concern about Art's statement that he wouldn't discuss politics on his show. It seems to me now that the problem with conspiracy theorists of the C2C stripe is that they appear to be consistently concerned about the wrong conspiracies. So all this stuff going on w/ Syria and Art's gonna be doing four hour shows on the Ghost Hunters? Just asking.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-05-2013 03:34 PM

HB3 wrote: I'm gonna repeat my concern about Art's statement that he wouldn't discuss politics on his show. It seems to me now that the problem with conspiracy theorists of the C2C stripe is that they appear to be consistently concerned about the wrong conspiracies. So all this stuff going on w/ Syria and Art's gonna be doing four hour shows on the Ghost Hunters? Just asking.
Well, this is sort of his modus operandi... I mean he would not discuss any conspiracies before, GN was the one who got Alex Jones on and the rest. There are enough political pundits I would say. You know Art can't help but comment in his way about current events, but I think we all need a break sometimes from the "fantasy" world of politics and Art can give us that. I mean, Syria, Iraq, what's the dif? Just another day, another war. Not much to talk about really except rehash what is in the news, and this is done ad nauseum elsewhere.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

rslawsky
Pirate

Post by rslawsky » 09-05-2013 03:37 PM

In the early days Art discussed politics pretty frequently but it just got boring. I listen to some political talk these days but most of it seems to be of the "we're right, they're wrong" variety no matter what the issue. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some discussion of the issues of the day but I wouldn't care for political arguments.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-05-2013 04:07 PM

Yes, I'd just like to see some of both. By making this categorical statement, it seems as though the show is being contoured through a specifically marketed channel. That really isn't the spirit of C2C as I think we all understand it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-05-2013 04:10 PM

HB3 wrote: Yes, I'd just like to see some of both. By making this categorical statement, it seems as though the show is being contoured through a specifically marketed channel. That really isn't the spirit of C2C as I think we all understand it.
Could there be some issue with competing with other sirius shows? Don't want to step on other politicos feet?

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 09-05-2013 04:22 PM

If someone if looking to get into XM cheaply, I have a mobile receiver I would sell for $40. Its the type you put in your car, then tune your radio to 88.5 to get the XM signal. The receiver is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, antenna is on 10' of wire, and it's powered by a cigarette lighter plug. It could also work at home if you got a 12 Radio Shack power adapter.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

HB3

Post by HB3 » 09-05-2013 06:19 PM

By the way, there's been no statement confirming open lines, has there?

Return to “Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert”