Photo of Fire

Show it off

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Re: Photo of Fire

Post by Doka » 05-08-2016 03:13 PM

Voguy, I was doing some stuff and it occured to me that I was "assuming" that you where selling as apposed to donating. So, I want to apologize ahead of time for my making an "ass" out of my self and offending you. So sorry. :oops:

As you can tell, I am personally "conflicted" on the matter , myself.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-08-2016 04:53 PM

Canadian's are questioning why BC's Mars Water Bomber isn't being used at the Fort Mac fire.

"We appreciate the offer of assistance from Martin Mars but because their aircraft need to draw water from a large lake, they are not appropriate for fighting this fire right now," said John Archer with the Office of the Premier of Alberta.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 58?cmp=rss
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-08-2016 05:34 PM

Ra's article

"Coulson said there are three main reasons why the 70-year-old plane hasn't been deployed — the most salient being that no one has requested it.

"If there was a request by the Alberta government to contract the Martin Mars, we would do everything in our power to support the request," he said.

Furthermore, Coulson said it's not as simple as just sending in the plane to fight the fires.

"No aircraft operator in the world can simply go and put out a fire," he said. "Even if they wanted to and if someone ever did, they would be facing serious criminal charges."

So there ya go folks, If you put OUT a Big fire you are in serious dodo. :rolleyes:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-08-2016 06:13 PM

Typically goods will make it through at full value. I'm always leery about sending money as there is always someone who feels it necessary to take a cut. It's sort of like United Way. I won't donate to them as the funds which go to their intended target are always a hell of a lot less, by a considerable amount.

Goods fly under the radar, and very rarely does someone make a big deal about the donation. If you send money then they look for you again and again. Sort of like feeding a stray. I prefer identifying the specific problem and then addressing it directly.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-08-2016 06:14 PM

If there isn't a lake big enough for this plane in the area of the fire, I don't see why they had to go into all the other reasons for not using the Mars. :huhsmile:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-08-2016 06:17 PM

voguy wrote: I prefer identifying the specific problem and then addressing it directly.
Great you can do that. Not all of us can, in fact I would say most of us can't.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-10-2016 03:38 PM

Raggedyann wrote:
voguy wrote: I prefer identifying the specific problem and then addressing it directly.
Great you can do that. Not all of us can, in fact I would say most of us can't.
I would disagree with that. We all have better eyesight on problems than am agency or group can, so when we see those struggling we can often put our assets where they do the most good.

Case in point, a friend in North Dakota heard of a small town just over the Canadian boarder who has a lot of transients of people fleeing. The town doesn't have an organized way to feed everyone. So he purchased a couple buckets of those Wise Food emergency kits, and sent them to the Emergency Manager and Fire Chief of the town with a note that if people can't find something, or the assets aren't there, at least nobody goes hungry. They've gong through two buckets, and his friends and him are ordering 8 more buckets.

Just listen to the reports or call the E.M. in the area and find out what needs are being fulfilled, then address that specific function outside of the normal means.

I think the Red Cross do a good job, but they are not efficient as they could be because they have to be everything to everyone.

In my case those who fled without clothes, socks and shirts are better than nothing.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-10-2016 03:40 PM

In the news.....
T_Fire(4).jpg
T_Fire(4).jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 7199 times

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-10-2016 08:17 PM

Michelle Wigmore one of the most experienced firefighters in Fort McMurray fighting ‘The Beast’

Growing up in a city in Southern Ontario, Michelle Wigmore didn’t know anything about wildfires until she met some men fighting forest fires in Northern Ontario in the early 1990s.

“I was thinking, ‘This sounds like the greatest job in the universe,’ ” Ms. Wigmore remembers. “And I was right. It is the greatest job in the universe.”

Twenty-three years later, Ms. Wigmore is one of the most experienced firefighters in Alberta and leads 19 firefighters in the Wild Mountain Unit Crew, an elite wildfire unit based out of Hinton, Alta.

Among firefighters in Alberta, Ms. Wigmore has earned a reputation as a hard worker, a great leader who can carry as much hose as everyone on her team and does everything possible to keep her crew motivated and safe.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... sf_globefb

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-11-2016 12:04 AM

We do still have A Hero, and at least one good role model. :D Thank you for the story, Ra.
KARMA RULES

Return to “Photography”