DIY Fender 5F6 Bassman Amplifier

For music-related discussions

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

DIY Fender 5F6 Bassman Amplifier

Post by voguy » 11-10-2011 09:25 PM

My son plays drums and bass. His preference in music on bass leans towards jazz and 70s funk.

I decided to start this project because I wanted a winter, indoor project in case we get blitzed by the snow. I selected the Fender 5F6 Bassman as I knew two people with them. One played in acts such as Elvis and Roy Orbison, and the other fellow works as a studio musician in Dallas. This gave me an edge in documenting the amp, and coming up with information I need.

The 5F6 is a classic amp from 1958/59. It was sold in what they called the Blonde Tweed. Here's is a site showing what the amp looks like.

LINK

Ok, so we dive in. First realization is that I don't have the time or patience to build the chassis. I found one on the internet for $60.00. It was black, so I took it to a friend of mine who does plating and powder coating. After some imitation chrome, I was set.

A company called Hammond Manufacturing up in Canada sells transformers, and I was able to score the power supply, choke, and push-pull output transformer for under $200.

The 5F6 was built at the time using what they called a Turret Board, a predecessor of the Printed Circuit Board. I found one on the internet real cheap ($9.00) and populated it with wire and parts.

Finally some tubes were needed

I'm just now starting to wire this up. I still need front controls, and a few other pieces. The hard part will be the cabinet, but just last week I found a source for the "tweed" or Tolex (as it's called) for the covering of the cabinet, and all the hardware.

I plan to pack the cabinet with four 10" Eminence speakers, with slightly higher mids (no sacrifice on the low end).

The only thing I'm doing to this which is not a Fender design is adding a "direct out" for recording purposes.

I'll share more as I have time, and get further along in the project. Hopefully I can complete this before the end of the school year when he graduates.

Long live the 6L6GC!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-10-2011 10:29 PM

That's great. Forty watts though?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-11-2011 09:56 AM

You are officially my hero.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-11-2011 07:21 PM

HB3 wrote: That's great. Forty watts though?

Classic amp, HB. And typically you get a little more with some crunch to it. The kid has an LH1000 with quad cab if he needs loud. Most of the venues he plays, 40/50 is more than sufficient.

I guess I could use 4-400s and make people's ears bleed.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-11-2011 07:26 PM

Fan wrote: You are officially my hero.

Hold that comment till it's done. ;) The tricky part is making the wood cabinet. I've made speakers before, but the tweed tolex can be a bit tricky to work with as there is a pattern to it.

We'll have to tackle that fellow's DIY synth project, Fan. As I mentioned, I think it's very possible to do it, the only thing that scares me is the silk screening, because I've never done it before.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-11-2011 08:24 PM

voguy wrote: Hold that comment till it's done. ;) The tricky part is making the wood cabinet. I've made speakers before, but the tweed tolex can be a bit tricky to work with as there is a pattern to it.

We'll have to tackle that fellow's DIY synth project, Fan. As I mentioned, I think it's very possible to do it, the only thing that scares me is the silk screening, because I've never done it before.

Yup, start a thread on it if you have time, I want to discuss that much further :)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-12-2011 11:14 AM

Besides the Fender 5F6, one other projects on my plate is a clone of the RCA Model 74 Ribbon Mic.

The science behind making the ribbon motor is pretty simple. The hard part is dealing with extra components needed, such as the 1:25 transformer, followed by a mic preamp of significant low signal to noise.

The other side of this is the tooling necessary to make some of the parts. If you look at the pictures, you'll note the diamond shaped screen that covers the mic. I can't find anyone in the US that will make the screens at a reasonable price. They seem to think $200 a pair is reasonable. However, if I give Xeong Chong in China the business, he will make them for $12 each.

If you ever heard a ribbon mic on acoustic guitar or low brass, you would be amazed. It's also good for soft vocals.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-12-2011 01:15 PM

Started to put on the pots and switches

In these pictures you can see the silver powder coating better, reflecting off the bench top.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 11-12-2011 02:45 PM

That looks good. Very nice switches in the second pic.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-12-2011 11:19 PM

This looks like an awesome project but more than I'd attempt for many reasons. Mostly expense and I have no use for a guitar/bass amp. But, voguy, or anyone, if you see decent plans for a portable headphone amp - something with a couple of ouputs for headphones so two or more could listen, a stereo input, volume pot(s) that will run on a couple of AAs I'd be interested. I found one awhile back that was close to that description and fit in a metal ment candy box..but it seemed high priced for a kit so I passed.

Nice job laying this out for us - thanks. :cool:
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-13-2011 08:36 AM

Are you looking for something already built, such as the PreSonus HP4 4-Channel Headphone Amp , or something you can kit such as the Velleman 30W Stereo Audio Amp?

On the Velleman, 30 watts is a lot of power for headphones. Typically you only need > 1 watt for a good pair of headphones.

The only reason I bring up the 30W version is that I used one of them with the output series to a100-ohm resistor, and then feeding "L-pads" for individual settings. This amp will drive 12 pair of Koss studio headphones reliably. I used one for a jazz session.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-13-2011 08:47 AM

Y'know, Dale, this Sure 2x2W @ 4 Ohm Class-D Audio Amp might be better if you only have 2 to 4 headphones connected to it. Again, I would series a 100-ohm resistor between the amp and headphone jack to current limit the signal to the headphone. You could also put an L Pad right before the jack for individual level control. This might be a better choice if you're not looking for something big.

BTW, I use Parts Express since they are close, and an order at 4PM has it here the next day by ground service. There are plenty of other places around that sell this stuff.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-13-2011 11:50 AM

I like that last one - seems all there but the controls and jacks..and the price is nice too. Better than the last one I run across too.

I was wanting it to use with my sansa clip mp3 player to share headphones and/or connect low power speakers to for headphone free listening. I was surprised there were so few when I looked, being a simple amp and all and those coming on a chip for years now.

Thank you so much for digging that up for me. :)

Return to “Music”