Throw away those code practice CDs - ARRL proposed new Amate

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

mudwoman
Pirate

Re: The end of HAM?

Post by mudwoman » 03-27-2004 01:44 AM

Originally posted by MeesterCranky
In addition to what the article says, I'd like to state a few things that EVERYONE should be aware of that are not addressed.

The government at local, state and federal levels has ALWAYS relied on the amateur radio netowrk to assist in times of natural disaster and the potential event of national catastrophe. Indeed, it was part of the reason they began licensing amateurs. This BPL **** will completely invalidate that assistance, as well as render local police incommunicado. Even FEMA is on record saying they oppose it because it will impact their communications - but the FCC continues to implement it regardless.

Why would the government want to knock out ham operations, when we face an unprecidented time of national emergency? Read on.

You may think you can live without police communication, air traffic control, AM radio and the first six TV broadcast channels - but even so, there are unspoken ramifications to this that will make you seriously consider running for the border before they close it.

A scenario of complete control over our media is emerging slowly. The FCC crackdown after Boobiegate is nothing compared to this scenario, wherein:

1): no citizen will be able to listen to the news over AM or parts of FM radio. News will be available only online, through cable TV and through the Clear Channel-Bush Administration media conglomorate currently harrassing Howard Stern a la Lenny Bruce.

2) no citizen will be able to use shortwave radio either to listen to foreign stations - BPL was deployed on a trial basis on Europe, who shut it down when citizens complained that they could no longer receive shortwave from other countries. Euros have a long tradition of listening to news from outside their borders via shortwave - think WWII. Goebbels and Hitler made it illegal to listen to foreign broadcasts - but could not prevent them from coming in.

3) Most air traffic control will be wiped out. I wonder if only the military will be able to operate air traffic control outside the frequencies of BPL?

4) The ongoing efforts to install chips in every appliance from refrigerators to TV sets... all constantly reporting back over the internet on what you drink, eat, watch. What about that?

5) finally, no signals in means no signals out. No one in Europe will hear the reports of what is going on inside our borders. We will be sealed in with no one tattling to the outside world what transpires within our borders. What advantage can you see in that? If you're an insane power hungry warlord intent on gang raping the Bill of Rights with your buddies, I can see a few advantages.

This is a ****ing nightmare. It's deliberately being put into place and we can't stop it. See, they don't CARE if they interfere with shortwave and amateur traffic... cause they WANT TO. Why would they want to?

Think about this for a couple days.
Thank you so much MC for the excellent post. You fleshed out my thoughts on this subject.

Why do the ptb want to destroy HAM and SW?

Control
Control
Control

American is being told to shut up and go along. Play follow the leader right over the cliff and into the black hole of totalitarianism. Absolute state authority.

So eat your Wheaties, lock and load, get down on your knees, write your Congress people or do what you feel will help.

Personally? I fear we are toast but I am doing all of the above.

Guardian Angel
Pirate

Post by Guardian Angel » 03-27-2004 11:02 PM

I really hope that we are not toast. Ham Radio should not be tinkered with. What a world!
Be Good To Yourself :D
My Stuff

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 04-04-2004 08:15 PM

I know, the BPL thing stinks. But I think that's it's more of business opportunity than a fascist control strategy. I was curious how the FCC would behave under a Republican administration and now I know. They sell out to the fat cats without reservation but they still expect the amateurs to provide emergency communications. So predictable.......:o

There's a certain consolation in the matter though. BPL is highly susceptible to interference and as a Part 15 device the burden rests on the service providers to protect the system. I recommend investing in an amplifier, at least 500 watts or more. It's even more fun if you live near power lines or a substation. Use SSB, or even better use a continuous duty mode such as RTTY or PSK. Ragchew your ass off, particularly during the prime time for online activity. If your signal is clean with minimum spurious signals and you're operating within the band appropriate to your license class you're not doing anything wrong. ;) But this may, inadvertently of course, raise havoc with the local BPL service. he he he

ElKamino
Dark Enity

Post by ElKamino » 04-08-2004 03:33 AM

..oh yeah, that'll work.
Lessee here, where to start....malicious intent...cant hear the other station...ghost talking....use minimum power required...to talk to another ham four blocks away...because he's the only one you can hear over the noise from the crap on the power lines...piss off your neighbors to the point of getting your ticket pulled...which doesnt really matter because it isnt worth the paper its printed on...not enough hams out there with enough power to do any damage...not enough hams that care...not enough hams...CBers dont have a prayer as they have trashed their band to the point it is useless anyway...so nobody cares what happens to the 27 meg band....gov'ment is going to do what it wants to inspite of popular opinion or emergency needs...as it sits right now, the rest of the world could care less what America thinks....these are a composite of the things Ive read on various ham websites/BBS. The fact is, the ONLY prayer amateur radio, commercial AM, and the other services involved, has, is some serious outcry from ALL those who'll suffer damage from this "great idea", otherwise known as BPL. Several hundred lost souls out there, further clogging the bandwidth with their overdriven, underpowered amps, will have little, if no effect.
Snail mail kids...you need to cover your reps desk with letters. Couldnt hurt to tie up their phone lines either! E-mail is useless...too easy to delete...

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”