President Washington

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Sinner
Pirate

President Washington

Post by Sinner » 02-20-2004 02:35 AM

I apoligize for starting a thread about a C.B. radio,
I had a President Washington when I was a teenager,And lately I have been buying them on Ebay ,I now have four .Two Unidens and two preUnidens.I am kinda having fun,been thinking about making a dipole.(I have neighbors)

On a somewhat related note my Dad was a ham,He was WB9NCD.He Passed away twenty five years ago of Lou gerrihgs disease.HE was a heck of a ham and an inspiration.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-22-2004 05:59 PM

Hi Sinner - welcome to the ham radio thread. You should consider getting licensed and getting a call sign. A lot of us here have been inspired to become hams, as you can see from reading the threads. I think many CBers have dropped out. Cell phones - mebbe. With a Tech License - you can work the 2 meter bands. Also, often - if a relative's call sign has not been picked up - when you get your ham license, you can request that relative's call sign. Kind of keep it in the family.

Just get 'the book' and practice taking the online tests. A good site for practice questions and information about testing is:

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/

and tests sites:

http://www.arrl.org

Linnea

TheOneRod
Pirate

Post by TheOneRod » 04-03-2004 11:51 PM

Years ago the owner of a local ham shop signed me up for classes to be a amateur operator. I went to every class for nearly two months and took the pre-test given by the instructors. I passed that and the 5 wpm code just fine.

Unfortunately the actual test was only given during work hours and I could never make it.

Now I probably couldn't do the code, but I hope to test eventually.
“Some world views are spacious,
Some are merely spaced.”
Neil Peart

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”