going for it...

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

MeesterCranky
Pirate

going for it...

Post by MeesterCranky » 09-21-2003 11:34 PM

I ordered my materials to study for the general class license this week, and they are on the way. I went to a site where they have a code studying java applet so you can type a phrase or word and hear it at different speeds... now I am not so scared of 5 WPM - it's SLOW!
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-23-2003 10:35 PM

Good luck with that, Dale. The written General may be easier than the Tech. Probably as it covers much of the same information which has already become familiar. The code is not easy for many of us. Soon, you won't even need it. My advice is to take the General written, and then go back for the code - if you need to. ;)

I have the Extra book now, but have not decided if I will test for it. Probably will. For sure I am going to master the subject matter in it. Maybe I'll test for the upgrade when I have more actual experience in applied radio - and - can read code at 13! Then I will feel it is a real acheivement. Sort of a requirement I am setting for myself.

Nice to have you drop in. This ham thread is very slow these days. At least some of us have gotten licenses, and are working on the upgrades. Let us know how you're doing.

sss
Pirate

Post by sss » 09-24-2003 02:42 AM

Good luck with your pending upgrade. When I got my general I was so happy I felt about 5 feet off the ground. No code tech is a great place to start, but there is nothing like being able too get on the low bands, it's a totally diffrent world below 30mhz and I think you will really enjoy it.

To help you in your code study I would recommend a computer program called Supermorse. If you go to QRZ.com you should be able to find it under shareware. I prefered this program over the code tapes because you could generate random qso's, word groups and many other options. The problem with the code tapes is that people tend too memorize the tapes and never fully learn the code, so with a computer automatically generating code for you, you can avoid that problem.

Good luck and I hope you pass the test soon.

SSS

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-24-2003 08:56 AM

Don't forget Simon's website. Great practice for the code:
http://www.aa9pw.com/
...and the written tests. Best on the internet. Free too. Half hour a day for 2 months, and I passed the 5wpm.

MeesterCranky
Pirate

naturally...

Post by MeesterCranky » 10-08-2003 11:00 PM

I picked the time of year we start getting wrist-slashingly busy at work to start studying for my general class license.

Oh well, I did get my rig - a Kenwood TS-440S and at a good price - and an Astron 35A power supply. Now I am waiting for the power cords to arrive so I can fire it all up and listen. See if it starts up and all :)

That'll give me incentive to get moving.
Voltaire

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-12-2003 02:25 AM

You got a great rig there, Dale - and we know you already have a great antenna. Simon's site for random tests helped me get there - for sure.

MeesterCranky
Pirate

oy vey

Post by MeesterCranky » 10-29-2003 11:33 PM

I've been able to do next to nothing in the way of studying... but I did get it over to my dad's old place and hook it up tp the antenna to test it all out. This is the same components he had, power supply, radio, and his antenna, and after a couple of tries on successive days I finally heard a conversation!

The real mystery to be solved is how to monitor and talk on 2 and 6 meters.. this claims to be an all bands radio but unless I am foggy upstairs I can't figure out how to tune it to the Tech class bands!

Got some studying to do on the manual too looks like :)

The antenna is a vertical multi band, I found a piecce of paper in the box that identifies it as 10, 15, 20 and 30 meters.

Now I gots ta MOVE the thing over here....
Voltaire

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-30-2003 01:41 AM

The Kenwood TS440 is a HF rig - 160-10 Meter HF, and your antenna is for HF bands. 10 -30 meters. If you want to pull in the 40-160, you will need a long wire or a dipole. Need a 2-6 meter radio to receive those VHF bands, as well as a 2-6 meter antenna. Got a roof or any high trees? ;) If you've got any room, you can run a loop antenna - up at least 42' - and run some coax from that into a tuner for the other HF bands. If you get what you have operational - you could at least listen in to the 10-30 meter bands. With a general ticket you could even yak on them. Good luck with your studies. If it were my call, I would take the general written while the tech is still fresh, and who knows where the code requirement is going. Might not even need it before long. Keep us posted.

kd7ujm

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 12-05-2003 09:28 PM

Hey, Dale - haven't heard from you in a while. How you coming on your study for General? I guess the question pool is goning to change July 1st, 2004 - so get busy.

Hiya, sss - stop in and say hello. Are you studying for the Extra?

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 02-06-2004 12:05 AM

I haven't been around... as you can tell since I am just now reading this and replying!

I have been so insanely busy at work, I haven't really been able to do anything to study... between work and selling my mothers house it's been nuts, but I am anticipating having some time now.

Got my dad's old antenna down from the house before i sold it and brought it over to my place... anyone wanna have an antenna raising party??
Voltaire

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-06-2004 01:44 AM

Hay, Dale - How's the weather down your way? Sunny and warm? You hosting a party? Free booze? Hmmmm - well, I could come and watch and document the event. Hey - nice to hear from you.

I haven't picked up the Extra Class book too many times. Will probably get back at it this spring. My antennas seem to have weathered the wintry blasts, snow and ice this past month. The ladder line was covered with icicles - and the wind nearly blew the whole thing away a few times. Still works though. ;) Yes - hope to do more with completing my shack ( is there a better term?) this spring. Get more organized - and get set up to listen to some local nets here. Keep us posted on your progress.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 02-08-2004 01:53 AM

MeesterCranky wrote: Got my dad's old antenna down from the house before i sold it and brought it over to my place... anyone wanna have an antenna raising party??
I second Linnea's question about refreshments. ;) Photos would be nice! :D

Sounds like a great community project, like an Amish barn raising.

Be careful and have fun.

Studying for my Gen these days.

Linnea, I am glad your antennas stood up to the wind. We had a couple of good stout blows here in the Port Townsend area. Blew several trees down and I lost my ship's stove stovepipe once. Very smoky in my boat! :(

Sandy
Last edited by mudwoman on 02-08-2004 01:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 02-08-2004 11:34 AM

I took some photos of the guys taking it down and need to get them developed.. with all the activity moving myself in here and selling the house my mom used to live in,I have 6 rolls of film!!:p

Plus, I used to take all my film to the local supermarket... they are all on strike here! Since before Thanksgiving!
Voltaire

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-14-2004 09:51 PM

Looking forward to the pictures, MeesterCranky. Can you get them developed on paper and CD? If you get the CD/PC pics - jpegs - you can share them here. How are you doing with code? Did you already pass that? The code is the weird thing.

Sandy - too bad about your stove pipe. The winds around the sound lately have been fierce. Wonder is that is something to do with global weather changes. Must be... I am looking forward to better weather here, so I can air the house out, clean, mend and repair everything - including reinforcing connections on the antennas.

Need to do a lot before I have an actual, functioning ham shack. Got side tracked this late summer/fall. I haven't even tuned up the receiver for several weeks. This is not good. I can't even find my 2 meter rig. Want to clean out my truck and get that into mobile operations. Need to get re-inspired. Does seem as though ham radio is very expensive. Takes a lot to get the antennas and transmitter power to get much of a signal out anywhere. Not to mention the knowledge and experience it takes to get anywhere solid. Takes a lot to just know how to set up a shack. I've got an antenna tuner for the di-pole, but don't really know what the hell to do with it - yet. I'll be getting some help here in a bit. Need to get things ready. Spring is coming.

Wonder if Boomer Geezer is getting set up down there in California yet. Maybe qrp with code would be interesting to get into - for those of us who do not have mega rigs/antennas, etc... How's your code practice coming along, Sandy? Any time for that. I know you have been busy this winter.

Hey, Boomer - what you got set up at your new digs? Getting your shack together yet.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”