Stagnation Frustration

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

mudwoman
Pirate

Stagnation Frustration

Post by mudwoman » 08-03-2003 08:03 PM

First I had a severely injured wrist and firearm from a fall into the pond.

Then I was healed well enough that with my mini cast I got in my winter wood.

This was followed by a (thankfully) brief depression.

Then a few days ago my Dad announced that he was taking back the garage which has been home to my studio for 4 years.

Now that I have cleaned out my shipping room (for my native/aquatic plant nursery business) and built shelves, bins and put hanger tool hangers I am moving ALL my studio stuff!

Whew! Argh! Drat! :(

I am so frustrated. Between working my butt off and haven't been able to play with my radios at all!

If only Mad Man Markum (sp?) would show up and give me more time!

PS: Linnea your antenna is exactly what I was think of setting up. Do you have a tuner yet?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-03-2003 08:40 PM

Not yet, mudwoman. I want a MFJ-986-C antenna tuner - the Versa Tuner - ha! but could settle for the econ version - MFJ-941E deluxe 300 watt tuner <sigh> And another thing I really want to go with it is a computer interface for the pc and all digital modes is: MFJ Sound Card to Rig Interface - gotta have that!!!

With all that, one would need a mere wire to get a good signal out! hehehe
:D

One day I will have this stuff! Yes I will!

Sorry to hear about the loss of garage space and moving chores. :( especially when your wrist is still healing. Did you get an antenna and/or Versa Tuner with the ham shack stuff you bought?

I'm now set up for the k7PP Repeater - btw. We could get out on that with you HT. Wanna give it a whirl later tonite? Let me know. Maybe LastMartian will join us.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-03-2003 09:46 PM

Yes, Lastmartian will join you. Maybe around 8:30? I'll email you. And Mudwoman, I'm sorry to hear about your trouble, but I'm glad you got out of the depression. I know those very well. I was going to post my story on the thread about depression and anxiety but it looks like a dying thread. Maybe another thread will start on the subject. Meanwhile.....

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-03-2003 10:12 PM

best email: [email protected]
I'll check for sked

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-03-2003 10:14 PM

Linnea

This is what I got for basically shipping from Oregon (97 lbs.).

-Kenwood Transceiver TS-520s ( 200 Watts PEP & SSB, 160 Watts CW)
-Kenwood AT-200 Antenna Tuner
-SWR Meter
-Kenwood SP-620 Speaker
-Kenwood MC-50 PTT Mic and Stand
-Operator's Manual and Service Manual
-Autek Research QF-1A SSB/CW/AM Filter
-Heathkit Code Oscillator & Key
-Micronta remote Field Strength Meter
-ATLAS Oil Immersion Dummy Load
-200 feet RG8-U
-and the Heathkit HD-1410 Electronic Keyer I sent you.

Lastmartian

The threads stay active. If they are not on the first page they may be archived. The thread "A Word or Two About Depression and Anxiety Disorders" was started by Captain Kundalini 03-27. It had many posts till 03-31 and then 'lay dormant' till I posted in the thread on 07-18 after search for it.

I like to keep posts in the original thread as much as possible. For me to many threads with just 1 or 2 or no replies just clutters up the board. That's just my opinion.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-03-2003 10:22 PM

Sandy - are you in for 8:30? Tune in to the k7pp repeater... and get your HT on!
;)

WoW! You got one heck of a deal for setting up your ham shack! Congratulations on that. Haven't yet recvd the keyer :(

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-03-2003 11:20 PM

Well, LastMartian - I have given up in trying to get anything out on the k7pp repeater. Can't even get the signal for it in here very good! I heared your call very faintly, and apparently you heard my signal not at all...

{now if we punched up our cell phones.... :rolleyes:}

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-04-2003 12:18 AM

Wow Sandy! You got some cool stuff. You're ready to go once you get a wire in the air. I think those automatic tuners work best with just a long wire, and a good ground too. I'm very happy for you.
Sorry I couldn't reach you Linnea. The repeater for your area is near Bremerton apparently and maybe you can't reach it. We'll figure something out though.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-04-2003 01:50 AM

The Kenwood TS-520s was just what I was looking for too. :D I can actually understand how it works! I really like simple stuff.

I am so very grateful for all the wonderful ham fairies! :)

I had a '56 Chevy when I was young and I could actually work on it. Pulled the engine myself and dropped in a "new" one.

I rebuilt my VW bus engine on my kitchen table once. What a sweet, simple engine.

Now I look under the hood of a new car and it doesn't even look like an engine.

I am installing a new CDRW into one of my PCs and that is easy enough. PS hardware is like working with Legos. It's the damn SW that drives me up the wall!

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-05-2003 12:55 PM

I agree with you on cars Sandy. I'm in the automotive tech program at Peninsula College and I've learned a lot about the damned things and I'm begining to hate them. The complexity of the electronic systems doesn't bother me much as I can understand them, but it's the physical situation of the engine that gripes me. It's often near impossible to get to things. Just replacing spark plugs can take a couple hours. I have fantasies of doing unspeakable things to automotive engineers. :mad:

I have a '66 mustang that's a breeze to work on.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 09-21-2003 04:39 AM

Update on my progress:

Well, I finally got the ditch dug and buried my existing power line to my boat plus added an additional line for my rig. I didn't have enough power aboard to run the mountain of electronics and PCs, lights etc. that I have stuffed in hear. I ran a separate line to my 10 gal. hot water heater (which is outside inside an insulated box).

So now I have enough juice to run the vacuum or make some toast with out trowing a breaker.

Now the carpentry can begin. I am not much of a carpenter but I get by. Building a shelf setup for my rig inside a non square, mini environment should prove interesting. LOL When I built the platform for my ships stove and wood cubby I had to cut templates using cardboard. Sheesh!

Anyho, slow but steady.

As for the code, for the past many weeks I have been so having great difficulty focusing. Tweaking my meds but as yet unable to stay tuned.

:confused:

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”