EchoLink

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Gwen
Pirate

EchoLink

Post by Gwen » 07-09-2003 12:59 PM

http://www.echolink.org/el/

Do any of you use EchoLink? I am thinking of installing it, but would really like to have some feedback from users before I do. Any comments would be appreciated by this greenhorn new tech.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-09-2003 11:10 PM

Gwen - Echo Link. Do not know much about it. Seems to be a system for communicating via radio over the internet backbone via interface devices linking a radio to the sound card in your pc and digital packets routed through the internet, eliminating the need for radio transmission via the air waves and antennas.

It seems to have its uses, especially in networking with stations/hams at a distance. Hmmmm. I don't know what my opinion of it is as I haven't used it. Right now I am involved in setting up a radio shack, antenna(s) - to try to get clean signals in and out. As a new ham - this seems more fascinating and challenging. Once I get this set up, would also like to explore power backup options, such as a generator, and/or portable rigs that can be used with batteries, etc. There is a mystique for me in getting RF in and out over the air. :)

Have you tried it yet? The Midnight Hams have a lot of information on Echo Link, and Jim has info on how to set up for it. If you try it, let us know how it works!

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”