Shouting from the rooftop!

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

mudwoman
Pirate

Shouting from the rooftop!

Post by mudwoman » 07-04-2003 12:10 AM

Don't know if this is kosher or not (posting private email between pirates) but I want to shout from the roof top what great folks hamsters :D are!

Well I tell you, MeesterCranky is not a cranky guy at all. He sent me an ICOM IC-2AT!

I sent this email to him (I probably should have edited it but I didn't):

(Subject) It arrived!

I (like the child I am) dropped all my chores and have been playing with the cutest little HT all afternoon. It arrived today and I ripped it open before I even got to the house. :)

I haven't been able to scrounge up a manual online yet. Was hoping to find a PDF but not yet. ICOM has a ton of manuals archived but not one for the IC-2AT. I think I'll give them a call Monday. They are right next-door in Bellvue.

I haven't made contact yet but am having fun trying.

I have good news. I had several necklaces left from the ones I made to sell on eBay last Xmas season. They go on eBay for $150 to 250 and about double that in the shops (very heavy 'art' pieces - some say strange - LOL). Any way my ex-sister-in-law came for a rare visit and she went a little wild when she saw my work (I am a sculpture and just do the jewelry for the $). She bought 2 and even with the discount I gave her it was more than enough to pay you IN FULL and then some.

I am really happy about this. Big Old Grin on my face right now! :D

I sent to you through PP.

When I get set up with a big rig I will pass along this sweet HT AND your thoughtfulness and generous spirit to another struggling newbie.

Thank you my friend,

Sandy

:D

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-04-2003 02:00 AM

Hey, MeesterCranky and Mudwoman - that is a wonderful example of what ham radio is all about. And thanks for sharing this info with us. I think our FF ham group is super! Can't wait to get on the air with all of you! Now - I'll have to get those repeater tones, and we'll see if we can make a contact. Are you yakking on your radio, Sandy? ;) Did you contact k7pp for the repeater tones... check the posts here from Elk and LastMartian.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 07-04-2003 02:14 AM

A word of caution to those of you about to use the K7PP system.
Listen for abit. Get the "feel" of how things are done on that machine. When you finally work up to actually keying the radio, give a silent two count before you speak. Remember, you arent just bringing up one repeater, you are bringing up four machines, all linked together as one. It takes a tick or two for all of 'em to come up. Add to that, there is a 440 system involved here as well. Lots of hardware here that has to be in sink to work. If you key to fast, you'll cut off your first few syllables...and we all know how painful that can be. Take your time, enjoy. Last item: The only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-04-2003 03:14 AM

That's fantastic Mudwoman! You'll be on the air soon. I found a download site for Icoms. It's their site in Japan, but don't worry it's in english. http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/menu.html

I hope this turns out to be an active link. I'm downloading the manual right now. I have one of these old timers. It's good for simplex.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-04-2003 01:54 PM

Hot Dog! Lastmartian

I just downloaded the pdf and am ready to party. Sure am glad you have your disco dancin' rags on! Cool :D :D :D

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”