DirecTV to Sell Powerline Broadband

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-16-2007 04:36 AM

Associated Press 08.15.07, 12:20 PM ET

NEW YORK - The DirecTV Group Inc. Wednesday said it will market Current Group LLC's broadband over powerline service, to be available in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

The BPL service, which allows customers to get Internet service through modems plugged into power outlet, is expected to cover about 1.8 million homes and businesses over the next several years.

Satellite broadcaster DirecTV (nyse: DTV - news - people ) will be able to market a bundle that includes high-speed Internet and Internet telephone services to its residential customers.

In addition, the agreement announced Wednesday provides DirecTV the ability to add other geographic markets as Current Group builds its network.

Current Group, a privately held company based in Germantown, Md., is a leading provider of BPL products and services to electric distribution companies.

Shares of El Segundo, Calif.-based DirecTV were unchanged at $22.10 midday Wednesday.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-16-2007 04:44 AM

Thanks for the post Div. There was quite a fuss about BPL, among hams, and also on this forum. I thought it had faded away because of various techinical difficulties...apparently not....

Considering the absolutely capitalist and cavalier attitude of the FCC and NTIA, why would they pass up such a spectrum saving gold mine...:rolleyes:

BPL is back!....All Hams and SWLs pipe up and Bitch!....:eek:

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-16-2007 04:48 AM

Just thinking...If BPL trashes the HF band maybe the LF and VLF bands might be the next hope?....:rolleyes:

I was looking back: LF and VLF were the playgrounds of early radio and hams too....

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”