Mudwoman makes the Big Score!

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Mudwoman makes the Big Score!

Post by Linnea » 06-22-2003 03:57 PM

Hey, Mudwoman/Sandy aced the Tech test this Saturday! Congratulations, mudwoman! :D Let me know when you have your equipment set up. We should be close enough here to get out on the 2 meter repeaters...kewl

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-22-2003 11:29 PM

congratulations Mudwoman!!!

Dale
KG6RPO
Torrance CA
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 06-22-2003 11:33 PM

YOU GO SISTER!!

Very proud of you ;) Woooooooooohoooooooo @ you!

Cindy

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-23-2003 03:47 AM

Thanks guys.

I want to tell you all about something I think is a little strange. I talked this over with my son (a senior in college) and he has had the same sort of thing happen to him.

We have both had "experiences". I can't say what they were but the you can round up the usual suspects i.e. abductions, visitations, UFOs, strange and creepy (and I mean weird!) men in black cars (OH, Yes!), helicopters coming right down on our car! etc. and you might be right.

Anyway, when I started studying for my HAM test I immediately realized that I knew the Circuit Components, Radio Wave Propagation and the Schematic Symbols and a few other things.

Yes, I did go to college but I never took any classes that had anything to do with electronics, or radio wave propagation etc. Yes, my uncle was a HAM and I hung out in his shack a lot from age about age 5 to 9, but sadly he died young. He never 'taught' me anything, although I no doubt picked up a lot by osmosis. I certainly didn't learn anything about Circuit Components!

I don't even know if the two things (weird stuff and knowing stuff) are related. The fact that this happens with my son makes me think there might be some connection. I guess it's just another one of those 'things' that still be wondering about when I'm rockin' on the porch...

:confused: :confused:

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-24-2003 07:58 PM

KD7WPU

As soon as I passed the State Board of Nursing and was an RN, I realized I didn't know all that much so I began to learn, I mean really learn by doing. The only way for me. Now I feel the same about being a baby newbie tech... really dumb!

Oh well, life is like that I guess, a hands on thing. On to da code and the General.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-25-2003 10:23 AM

kd7wpu - Your call sign, mudwoman? That PU is kinda sassy! How did you get it so quickly! I didn't get mine for 3 or more weeks, and not even then. Now, you can get on the air :) Got your antenna up yet?

Here are some of the repeaters here:

147.200 Baw Paw Peak/k7pp
147.100 Tiger Mt wa7nan
145.490 Crystal Mt/ kg7vl

See if you can hear these. You been listening yet?

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-25-2003 11:17 AM

Linnea wrote: kd7wpu - Your call sign, mudwoman? That PU is kinda sassy! How did you get it so quickly! I didn't get mine for 3 or more weeks, and not even then. Now, you can get on the air :) Got your antenna up yet?

Here are some of the repeaters here:

147.200 Baw Paw Peak/k7pp
147.100 Tiger Mt wa7nan
145.490 Crystal Mt/ kg7vl

See if you can hear these. You been listening yet?
Thank you so much for the repeater info.

I have no idea how it happened so quickly (Of course I had been checking every day! ;)) There was my name! Right between Kinney and Kirkley! I was pretty excited! (Feelings mixed about the pu thing! :eek:, but the kilo delta whiskey part is cool! ;))

http://www.qrz.com/new_hams.html
This information was distributed by the FCC on 24 Jun 2003 at 12:19
KINNEY, MICHAEL D KG6RRM T Issued
KIRK, SANDRA A KD7WPU T Issued
KIRKLEY, WILLIAM H W4CSV E Admin. Update

No ears up yet. I am still having a little trouble doing certain things with my wrist. I fell the biggest tree I had ever fallen day before yesterday. A huge fir. ( have to get my wood done.) Arm was braced to the max and I was VERY careful but I am paying for it now - big time :(

Right now I am looking for a cheap used (or borrowed) handheld.

So I have to chill a bit. I guess I get some more uninterrupted study days!

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 06-25-2003 11:45 AM

mudwoman wrote: Thanks guys.

I want to tell you all about something I think is a little strange. I talked this over with my son (a senior in college) and he has had the same sort of thing happen to him.

We have both had "experiences". I can't say what they were but the you can round up the usual suspects i.e. abductions, visitations, UFOs, strange and creepy (and I mean weird!) men in black cars (OH, Yes!), helicopters coming right down on our car! etc. and you might be right.

Anyway, when I started studying for my HAM test I immediately realized that I knew the Circuit Components, Radio Wave Propagation and the Schematic Symbols and a few other things....

:confused: :confused:

I'm a little rusty on my philosphers but I think Plato believed that we already have knowledge within us and learning is the struggle to rediscover it. It's quite a struggle though....

Ken KD7IZU

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-26-2003 11:37 PM

Lastmartian wrote: I'm a little rusty on my philosphers but I think Plato believed that we already have knowledge within us and learning is the struggle to rediscover it. It's quite a struggle though....

Ken KD7IZU
Very good point. Reminds me of the Inuit carver who carries a piece of ivory or bone with him until the figure locked inside reveals itself. Then the carver can remove the material around the figure and set it free.

I apologize in advance for the complaining I'm about to do.

I just wanted to let you all know I am still working on HAM stuff. Just changed my priorities around and wont be getting on the air right away.

Was hoping to get on with things (cutting wood, putting up my antenna, digging a trench for a new power line to my boat etc...) but I blew the hell out of my (once) healing wrist by cutting down that tree. :( My doc had a cat fit and ordered me not to use the arm for several more weeks. She told me that if my bones were not so dense and had broken that might have lessened some of the ligament, tendon and muscle damage. Instead of breaking, the bones in my wrist dislocated...blah blah blah...

I am so sick of being gimped up I am going stir crazy (as opposed to my usual crazy ;))! Back on the pain meds too.

So I am reduced to taping a pencil to my (now more "serious") brace and trying to practice code. Will see how well it works. ;)

73s all around!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-27-2003 01:51 AM

Sounds like a prescription for madness, mudwoman :D Sorry to hear of your wrist problems. I was getting geared up to get on 2 meters with you. :) If you get the HT - you won't have to put an antenna up. Some of these repeaters can really get a signal out, too. In the meanwhile... take care of that wrist.

And, a hello out to you, Ken. What repeater would you recommend for Port Townsend/SeaTac/Sequim? Maybe we can meet up on the airwaves. Think I'll listen around and see what I can get in here.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-27-2003 02:36 AM

Linnea and Lastmartian (Ken) and all FF and lurking Seattle and Olympic Peninsula area hamsters :D ;) ~ If I get my mitts on a 2meter I will LOVE hearing your voices. Do what I can...I have given all my $ to my doc etc. Harumph! :mad:
Last edited by mudwoman on 06-27-2003 02:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-29-2003 06:03 PM

Maybe you can borrow someone's HT, mudwoman. If you get the HT you won't have to put up an antenna for now. Wish I had one to loan you. Hitchhiker said sometimes Radio Shack has some close outs. I think he said he got one for 5 bucks! :eek: I checked rat shack here and online and didn't see anything like that. Have you been to any local ham meetings yet? Maybe someone there would have some sources.

Lastmartian
Pirate

HT's and stuff

Post by Lastmartian » 06-29-2003 07:25 PM

Hi Mudwoman,
I have an old Icom 2 meter HT. It's a little beat up but it still works. I haven't the manual for it so I would have to figure out how to change the settings on it in order to show you how. You also might try to contact the Jefferson County amateur radio club. Someone might have a loaner radio or something for sale
There is a little thunder and lightning activity so my antennas are disconnected but I'd like to see if I find a repeater that you Linnea and I can all reach.

Ken KD7IZU

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-29-2003 08:25 PM

Hi, Ken and Sandy - just posted in another thread about the 2 meter repeaters - and maybe also setting up something on the HF bands for the FF hams with the general tickets also.

I've heard QSOs from stations on the peninsula come in quite clear. I'll listen in a bit and see what repeaters they are on.
Looking forward to this! Wonder if Juno from Nanaimo could also get in? May be too far north...

From the maps on qrz.com - Sandy is close to you - less than 20 miles it seems. I am about 40 some miles from Sandy and 55 - 60 from Sequim - as the crow flies.

Tiger Mountain Repeater 145.330 K7NWS Boeing B E
Cougar Mountain 147.080 W7WWI
Gold Mountain 147.200 K7PP

These are some of the ones I listen in to. I'll listen for stations west and north of seatac...

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-03-2003 01:54 AM

I have a 2 meter HT that Sandy can borrow. It's a venerable Icom IC-2GAT. I found the manual online as well. It puts out 7 watts with 12 volt input and it's fairly reliable.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”