Original Radio Room/Amateur Radio

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-26-2008 12:17 AM

Has anyone been listening to Art on S-Meter lately?

DesertSage
Pirate

Post by DesertSage » 01-26-2008 12:22 AM

Captain Fantastic wrote: What is a 'Sky Island'? A mountain top or plateau?
Yes, in the desert we call mountains that go from the desert floor to sub-alpine and alpine 'Sky Islands.'

They often host a amazing complete array of flora and fauna. I've studied them for years as I'm always looking for botanical medicines.
"Wanting everything in life to be perfect before you take action is like wanting to reach a destination without travel."

Captain Fantastic
DREAD PIRATE

Post by Captain Fantastic » 01-26-2008 02:12 AM

DesertSage, it would be incredibly awesome if you could start a thread on the desert flora and fauna here. Botanicals are a natural resource we could all use more information about.

Maybe we could add a category for this topic.

Watch for it.
:cool:

Prker
Pirate

Post by Prker » 04-27-2008 11:14 AM

I have recently started to listen to S-meter, again.

Since I am EST, it is a hit and miss to hear Art.

It is interesting listening to all the conversation.

I just heard an update on the Sandia Mnts. fire. The guys said the fire is heading toward the monastery.

MAD
Pirate

Art Bell's (W6OBB) Icom 756 Pro II Receiver in

Post by MAD » 05-25-2008 08:29 PM

http://www.smeter.net/pahrump/audio.php

At this time, Art is on Icom s meter Ham. Enjoy while waiting for Sunday night Coast to Coast, or just plain relaxing.
Never too much Art!

Pahrump Receiver Schedule
Seven Days a Week
U.S. Pacific Time Mode Notes
19:00 - 03:00 Live Live radio
03:00 - 19:00 Replay The previous 19:00 to 03:00 PDT eight-hour period is replayed twice. Detailed recording & playback schedule

knightowl04
Pirate

Fun stuff

Post by knightowl04 » 05-25-2008 11:54 PM

For those interested (and it might have been mentioned already) I have found that Art and his buddies come on around 3 am EST. I have also noticed that they have access to a phone patch that allows anyone to call in and ask questions. Art has announced the number on a few occasions so I guess it is open to anyone willing to make the long distance call. They were talking about the gas prices some last night.

The past few weeks, while Art has been out of the country, catching anything more than static has been hit or miss at best. From what I can tell they (Art included) are trying to increase efforts to stick to a regular schedule. When conditions are good they tend to stick around for a couple hours.

Most of the time it is just a bunch of normal guys just shooting the breeze. I like to listen even if Art is not on (heck it is has been WAY more entertaining than C2C lately). As a kid I loved playing with the my parent's CB radio, so listening in brings back pleasant memories. It is kinda cool though, I felt like I have learned a little about Ham radio which has been fun.

If you are bored one night around 3 am tune in.

Corruptor
Pirate

Post by Corruptor » 06-05-2008 03:38 AM

Yeah I love listening to the guys on Ham when I can.

BTW, what is with that Psycho that comes on and harasses everyone? That guy has serious problems.

Moondog
Pirate

Post by Moondog » 06-14-2008 07:16 PM

i been AM dx'ing since i was a lad. but i have found a great way to get radio off the internet via wifi, through a playstation portable. i have to get a baygen radio in canada, we sometimes have blackouts, and in winter it would be valuable. my question is are they an good if any of you own one; for am even SW?. thanks

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Re: Original Radio Room/Amateur Radio

Post by turtle101 » 02-13-2012 11:42 AM

i still love listening here.....
Captain Fantastic wrote: There are various threads here about Ham Radio - and you can see all the topics here if you select the page views to see threads started back 'from the beginning' you will have access to them.

We used to listen to Art Bell and the hams on HF - and post in 'almost live' time in the Original Radio Room here. In fact - that was how the ORR first began. So there is a lot of history, here and there - between the Fantastic Forum and Art Bell and Ham Radio.

At one time, we carried a 'live stream' to the ham band - and Art and the hams set up a 'phone patch' for us to 'call in' over the air.

Since then, Art Bell and many in amateur radio have made such 'live streaming' of the ham bands available on various receivers available for listening over the internet.

Many of you are aware of the link to Smeter receivers. Here is a link to Art's Pahrump Receiver, and there is a listing there to other Smeter receivers around the country. Also lots of info about ham radio,

Here's Art Pahrump Receiver link:

http://www.smeter.net/pahrump/audio.php

Listening in requires Internet Explorer Browser and Windows Media.

Have fun! And if there is enough interest, we may post threads in the ORR for those who are listening in.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-13-2012 12:27 PM

OK so this means when he is on his Ham and we tune in and get lucky we can hear him with other Ham operators?
A man's character is his fate

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”