Wanna Be Ham Nearing Mental overload

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Wanna Be Ham Nearing Mental overload

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-02-2003 11:28 PM

I am busting my buns trying to get the Technician Class this month since I discovered yesterday that they are significantly increasing the question pool... now why would they do that after decreasing it a couple years ago?? No wonder that book at Radio Snack was so cheap! Too bad I just ordered the ARRL stuff too!

Anyway, thanks to Linnea and Juno who have been posting in this thread showthread.php?s=&threadid=2649

They not only made me aware of this but pointed us all to a site where we can take the test over and over again... this is the best way for me to study. I am slowly gaining ground.. I've even passed a couple of times!

See you all soon on 2 meters, then HF later on!
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

Linnea

Go for it!

Post by Linnea » 06-07-2003 10:39 AM

Hey, Meester Cranky - You can do it! Glad to hear you are going for your Ham License. If Juno and I can get it done, I'm sure there are many Fantastic Forum Pirates who can do it. :D

Gwen and Mudwoman are working on the Tech licenses. Boomer Geezer, Elk, Hitchhiker and Radioman are Hams. Boomer Geezer is working on his Extra - Good Luck!

Working on a webpage for the Fantastic Forum Hams. Here is a pre-liminary page. If you find any good radio/ham graphics or gifs - send them in to: [email protected]. All contributions welcome...

Fantastic Forum Hams

Gwen
Pirate

Yippee!

Post by Gwen » 06-07-2003 10:53 AM

Well, I just returned from taking my Tech test...guess what...I passed. Amazingly, I answered 34 of 35 correctly. I was soooo nervous, but I did it! I hardly slept last night, 'cause I was so worried that I wouldn't pass. I am going to get started learning CW now and then on to General.:D

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 06-07-2003 11:02 AM

If he tested today, I probably saw Boomer Geezer there, cause I tested at DeVry Institute of Technology, WVARC. He's in Glendale so that's where he would go too I imagine. Boomer, if you see this and you were there, I was the short blond old gal in black capris, sleeveless checked black and white blouse, black sneakers...I was one of the first to get called..there were two young whippersnappers ahead of me. BTW, everyone there was very nice and encouraging! Can't wait to get my call sign. I am going back out to Ham Radio Outlet after while and look for a handheld transceiver.
Last edited by Gwen on 06-07-2003 11:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Waaay to Go!!!

Post by Linnea » 06-07-2003 11:07 AM

Congratulations, Gwen!! I am so thrilled for you! Knew you could do it! :D:D:D Go for the General written while everything is fresh in your mind. It is actually easier than the Tech test! No kiddin... Then you can concentrate on the code with no other worries.

The Extra test is very difficult it seems, from the used 7th edition arrl book I got a few weeks ago. Will get some experience in actual radio first, and antennas :rolleyes: before I take that Extra exam.

This is sooooooo wonderful, Gwen. Now we need to inspire Mudwoman and MeesterCranky here - and soon we will be able to network on the bands! Let us know your call letters when you get them! :)

I just love this gif!

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-07-2003 11:10 AM

Oh I am inspired... I think my dear old departed Dad is helping me... I take the tes tonline several times each day and now I pass more than not, and by a goo dmargin.. I read my book each day and have the ARRL books too... I have one shot this month and I am going for it. I'll make my reservation today.
Voltaire

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-07-2003 11:23 AM

Alright, MeesterCranky! I am so glad Gwen has inspired everyone today. :D If you are passing the online tests you'll do fine! Can't wait. Good thing you are taking the test this month.

Calling Mudwoman! How are you doing with the Tech study? Check in!
:D
Last edited by Linnea on 06-07-2003 11:25 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 06-07-2003 11:27 AM

Thanks, Linnea. I think I will do that, cause CW is going to be the hardest for me. I was sort of on information overload, so finally stopped taking practice tests and studying 2 days ago..I figured I knew it or I didnt. MeesterCranky, you can do it; if I did it, anyone can. Well, I'm heading out to HRO to talk to the big dogs about radios. I havent posted much lately...just been in horrible doldrums about everything, personal, world, just a horrible funk. I feel much better now.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-07-2003 12:51 PM

I know what you mean about the funk Gwen. I'm in the midst of the worse funk I've ever experienced. You have made my day! :D Really... I am that thrilled you got your Ham license!
I have something to hope for, work for - that before long we can get together on the airwaves. It will be...fantastic :)

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Way to go, pirates!

Post by Devastated » 06-09-2003 06:59 AM

Congratulations, everybody! Go for it! Dev;)
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-13-2003 12:47 AM

OK... as if the deadline at the end of the month wasn't enough pressure.. my local ham club is giving their monthly exam EARLY this month cause they have a field day the last weekend of the month. So I have to take my test this Saturday morning.. but I feel pretty confident... about 75% anyway. I take the test online four or five times a day and usually pass with only 3 or 4 errors. Sometimes they are just dumb mistakes too!

Wish me luck... and soon you'll hear me calling CQ CQ CQ...:D
Voltaire

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-13-2003 10:09 AM

Will be 'sending vibes' for you MeesterCranky! :) Good luck!

Gwen
Pirate

Good Luck!

Post by Gwen » 06-13-2003 10:13 AM

MeesterCranky, you will do fine. Don't stress over it...I should talk...:rolleyes: I hardly slept the night before, kept wondering if I should even go, wondering if I was really ready. If you are consistently passing the online practice tests, you will do fine. Remember to read the questions carefully, take your time. Once you are finished, look and make sure you answered all the questions, but DON"T go back and second guess yourself.

Good luck! We will all be sending you positive thoughts and good wishes! Now git out there and kick ass!

MeesterCranky
Pirate

WOOHOO!

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-14-2003 12:20 PM

I took my test today and passed... with only three wrong!

Now I have to start studying the code for General Class.. they offered the test to me today but I haven't studied at all for it! I had to pass this Technican Class today before the pool changed on me!

73 from... oh dang I gotta wait for my callsign now!
Voltaire

Gwen
Pirate

Congratulations!!

Post by Gwen » 06-14-2003 01:04 PM

Way to go, MeesterCranky! Look at the websites listed on paper they gave you after you passed...my call sign was in the FCC database last Wednesday (I tested on Saturday). I knew you would do okay...I was so scared...my mind was just a blank till I sat down and looked at the test, then I was amazed at what I remembered. I am going for general too, and am looking at different methods of learning CW. What are you going to use..have you decided? Anyone have any thoughts on Koch, Farnsworth, whatever????

Again, congratulations, MC. I was so happy and proud of myself and I am so happy and proud for you...now onward and upward for us:D
Last edited by Gwen on 06-14-2003 01:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”