Wanna Be Ham Nearing Mental overload

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-01-2003 02:37 AM

Almost live here. Linnea got in between my last post with another question.

Sequim is on the north side of the Olympics, roughly between Port Angeles and Port Townsend but closer to Port Angeles. I have good reception of repeaters in the counties north of Seattle as well as the islands, but I'll try some Seattle repeaters tomorrow, including 'baw paw'. If you can reach the repeater in Port Townsend, 145.15 tone 103.5, we can talk to mudwoman who will probably be using a hand held.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 07-01-2003 03:43 AM

A standard dipole about 65 foot should do the trick. (Roughly a half wave). Get it up high as possible. Consult your book for orientation. (i.e. east, west, north, etc) Get it up high enough, it'll go omni. Thats a good thing. (A tuner would be a great asset)
While nets can, and are, presented on various repeaters, it is mandatory that you get permission from the owners/operators.
Most nets heard on repeaters are of a public service nature. There are a few that are considered "social" nets. (For the purpose of rag chewing) In general, this type of net is not real popular with repeater operators. Better to stay in the HF spectrum with the social nets.
From Sequim, you wont be able to hit the Baw Faw repeater.(It is south...waaay south.) Then again, you dont have to. The Lyman peak machine in the K7PP system ties into Baw Faw and the rest of the system, to include the Seattle area.
Again, on the 147.200 repeater(K7PP), Baw Faw is for users south of Olympia, Lyman is for users north of Everett, and Gold mountain is for the greater Seattle area. They also have a tandem 440 system. Check out their website. (See earlier post)
"CB" band (11 meters): 26.965 (Ch.1) to 27.405 (Ch.40) Yuk...
10 meters: 28.000 to 29.700 mhz. The 10 meter band has nothing in common with the ceebee band other than probagation characteristics. (Thank God...) It was a sad day back in '58 when the FCC gave 11 meters to the bubbleheads. Seems like the FCC makes a habit of screwing up good things...
Last edited by Elk on 07-01-2003 03:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-01-2003 04:07 AM

I checked out the K7PP website. It's particularly helpfull because it shows the repeater sites. My repeater handbook will list the name of the sight but I would need a topo map the find the location of some of these mountains/hills. Simplex is used more for rag-chewing, instead of repeaters, but I think simplex is out of the question for us because of the distances. But we could at least talk briefly on a repeater and leave openings between QSO's so other stations can use the repeater.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-01-2003 04:19 AM

Either that - or wait for us all to get ticketed for the HF bands. Agree with Elk here - from the listening I've done on the 2 meter repeaters - it's not really set up for rag chewing {which we want to do :) } You are right though, Ken - maybe we could slip in somewhere just for a bit - to talk with mudwoman. Now if we could get mobile rigs set up and start driving around the area... ;)

Thanks for sharing this info with us Elk. We don't want to go blundering around acting stoopid! This will help a lot!

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-01-2003 04:26 AM

Mobile's a good idea. Find a decent high spot somewhere and use simplex. The mobile rig I bought has become my VHF/UHF base. But I'm always looking for an excuse to buy another radio.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 07-01-2003 04:53 AM

Linnea, if you want the tones for the 147.200 repeater, lemme know. I wont post them, and they dont want them broadcast either. (Helps keep the loonies at bay.) The Icom 2 meter I delivered should have all three tones programmed. South, basin, and north. Thats why the 147.200 shows three times in the rigs memory. Now you know.... (Unless you've changed things, that is...) I also have the info on the 147.280 part of the system if need be. You may pass this info on to other licensed hams if they request it. (Only good in western Washington. Sorry kids...)
Simplex from Sequim to SeaTac is pretty unlikely. VHF is "line of sight" for the most part, and that just wont cut it in this case.
The reason I suggested 40 meters during those times mentioned, is it works well for shorter hops and its in HF land. Lots 'o room for yakking and such. Half the challange in ham radio is trying things. You never really know what will, and what wont work unless you try. Give it yer best shot.
Im finished with tonights workload so I guess Ill hit the bunk.
Catch you all down the road sometime....

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-01-2003 04:58 AM

I am blessed with a great little base rig - AND - a neat IC 2 meter rig. Hmmm. Another challenge - setting the 2 meter IC up for mobile operation... It would be kinda silly just to drive around to a mountain top... but then again... :D

Maybe we could also think about getting together at a java place at a halfway point... forget about the radios! :D just kidding...
{{think I did spot an I-Hop at Port Ludlow though... ;) }}

Elk - will do. Yak at you later.
;)
Last edited by Linnea on 07-01-2003 05:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 07-01-2003 09:06 AM

Linnea wrote: MeesterCranky - what HF bands are you going to set up antenna for? Did you figure out what kind of antenna you got from your Dad? Hope to see you get your code and general as well. If you are working on a major move - probably that will keep you busy for awhile.
;)

yep, today I take possession of my HOUSE!! woohoo! later, I'll move the antenna and take my general class test.

The antenna is vertical, a store bought variety, I'd have to say it's multi band from what little I've read so far. It's about 25-30 feet long and raised up on a mast for a total height of about 50 feet. I'll try to take some pics, but it'll be a while before they make it up here.
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

Lastmartian
Pirate

2 Meter Repeaters

Post by Lastmartian » 07-02-2003 11:22 AM

I requested the PL tones from the K7PP website and I tried the system yesterday afternoon. I actually talked to K7PP himself. He was working on a repeater near Seattle I think. My signal was alright but a little distorted, although it was quite readable. That system might be good for us to make contact on.
I'd still like to try 10 meters for local contacts in the evening when it quiets down. I can remember picking up a cw beacon in Marysville well after dark.
If that doesn't work we can always try CB. But we'll have to get echo mikes with roger beeps so the CB'ers will know we are cool. And we would have to be drunk or high too so we can fit in and truly appreciate CB.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-02-2003 11:45 AM

I just couldn't resist; I found this among the canned avatars. It doesn't look much like me but I do twitch like that if I forget my medication.... "Play that funky music white boy....."

Now I'll have funk tunes running through my head all day...

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-02-2003 11:48 PM

You're scaring me now, Lastmartian - :eek:
:D

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-03-2003 12:06 AM

HUUUWAAAAAAAA!!!.....

Elk
Pirate

Re: 2 Meter Repeaters

Post by Elk » 07-03-2003 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Lastmartian
"I requested the PL tones from the K7PP website and I tried the system yesterday afternoon. I actually talked to K7PP himself. He was working on a repeater near Seattle I think. My signal was alright but a little distorted, although it was quite readable. That system might be good for us to make contact on.
I'd still like to try 10 meters for local contacts in the evening when it quiets down. I can remember picking up a cw beacon in Marysville well after dark. "

Yep, K7PP (Pete) is a class act. Nice guy who likes to help. Too bad there arent more like him out there...
Your signal on 2 meters, snaking its way through the hills and valleys, will get abit multipathy at times, (especially from out your way), but dont worry about it. If we can hear you, we can work you.
Hearing a beacon from Marysville on 10 meters doesnt surprise me. CW travels better than phone. The path from Marysville is "straighter" than the one to Seattle. (From Sequim that is...) A look at a topographical map will show you why.
Ive worked stations via ground wave as far north as Vancouver BC and Smokey Point, Bellingham, Birch Bay, etc. I may be able to pull you out of the hash on a real quiet night. Anything further south than me most likely will fade into the noise. Thats just the way it works....
But, again, you never know until you try.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-03-2003 01:36 AM

Yes, it was Pete that I spoke to. He did describe my signal as having a multipath quality to it. I thought maybe it was the discone antenna I have wiggling in the wind. But there is a lot of terrain between here and Lyman hill. 10 meters might still be worth a try; sometimes hams like the impossible.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 07-03-2003 01:55 AM

10 meters might work....if you have a beam and a kilowatt. :eek:
I own a six element beam and a Henry 2K-4, 2 kilowatt amp.(I'm in the process of selling the amp though. I dont ham much anymore and its a shame to let it collect dust)
It does help stretch the signal although, if I cant hear a station, it makes it hard to work 'em.
The beam idea is a thought for 2 meters though. They're small and easy to build. It may help in your quest to clean up the signal into the 7.200 machine. Lots of designs out there. Just a thought...
G'night

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”