Wanna Be Ham Nearing Mental overload

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 06-21-2003 03:52 PM

Wow, that's great, mudwoman..I'm going to check out eBay..I've never bought anything electronic there, but if the price is right, I'm game:D I'm taking a short break, then on to CW and general class, not in a big rush though.

Dang, you're good...aced the exam, huh!:D Kewl!!!

MeesterCranky
Pirate

eBay

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-22-2003 11:35 AM

I have a favorite search saved for a specific rig I want on eBay... it's idenical to my dads old (most recent) rig and would match the antenna at his old house I am going to pull down this summer and put up eventually at my new house when I get my General license.

I've seen several of these Kenwood TS-440S rigs come and go for about 400-500 bucks. They were very popular and seem reliable...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... =y&from=R9
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

MeesterCranky
Pirate

I did it!

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-28-2003 11:02 PM

I made my first QSO tonight... it took a lot of nerve to do it!

And man does my handheld 2 meter interfere with my computer speakers in the next room!

Dale
KG6RPO
Voltaire

mudwoman
Pirate

Re: I did it!

Post by mudwoman » 06-29-2003 12:48 AM

MeesterCranky wrote: I made my first QSO tonight... it took a lot of nerve to do it!
Dale
KG6RPO
Yippie! I sure am happy to hear you jumped in! :D I'm also grateful you are so honest about how you felt. It makes me feel MUCH better. It will be a while for me but you have given me a heap-o-gusto. Thanks a bunch!

(I stalled forever taking my Tech exam because I was so nervous.)

:)

Lastmartian
Pirate

Radio Shy

Post by Lastmartian » 06-29-2003 07:14 PM

I can relate to being radio shy. I go through a kind of vacillating agony when I'm about to key the mike. It's a terrible condition for a ham, it's like stage fright to an actor. I feel inadequate and unprepared. I want some protocol to follow like a script. But the only way to do is to just do it. The simplicity of that is almost insulting but it's true. I dropped by the field day set up in Port Angeles yesterday and they invited me to make some contacts. I sat there hesitant and playing with the controls on the rig. But I finally called CQ and stuttered a bit. It got easier after that and I made several contacts. Well, I guess I bared my soul again...

Ken KD7IZU

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 06-29-2003 07:47 PM

Well, we seem to post without to much agonizing! Wha'tha hell! We're Fantastic Forum Pirates - riiight!? Hmmm, Ken - for reasons as these, it will be great to get a FF Ham Net going. Myabe not a net, but ya know....just some pirates we would feel more comfortable yakkin with.

Let's see what kind of equipment we can get together, and what kind of signals we can get out there. I've just been listening, and only tried to get a signal out to my uncle. {{and I was not able to pick up his call - if he was monitoring - OR - I sounded so damn stupid he didn't want to acknowledge - :rolleyes: }} As with anything - I guess we can expect some time and practice before we are reasonably comfortable.

We probably won't be able to reach each other on 2 meter simplex - from Seatac, Sequim, Port Townsend. That leaves the repeaters. Repeaters kinda give me the willies ;)

So, Ken - what HF band would you recommend we all try to set up for? Presuming some of us have a general ticket? 10 meters? I think my next project will be to put up a 10 meter vertical. Probably just buy one. But, I may be able to put one together. There are a lot of design plans available.

Need to install the ladder line with the coax on the 75 meter di-pole I have. The wire on the ladder line seems skimpy. Guess I need a soldering iron to get the connections strong and stable.

Question on that: The di-pole has a balun with a coax connector in the center. Do I need to replace that balun with an insulator - or can I just disconnect the coax from the balun, attach the ladder line to each side where the antenna wires connect to it - and run the ladder down to the shack, attaching another balun at the end for the coax into the shack? Or - would that metal connector up there on the balun cause problems? {{Can you tell I am lazy... :D }} Ya, ya - I know. I should just try it.

Anyone set up for 75 meters who could work out a sked for signal checks? Let me know.

MeesterCranky
Pirate

2 meter repeater... uhhhhm, tweeter

Post by MeesterCranky » 06-29-2003 07:58 PM

I for one am still trying to find out how to do those long distance calls from repeater to repeater. I live in Southern CA and hear people calling from Indiana, and can hear the repeaters linking up in sequence when someone here makes a call to somewhere.. I just haven't seen anything in the ARRL operating manual that tells me how.

Of course I am in the middle of a move and have other things to think about :)

Mudwoman, get in contact with me, in a few hours an auction is ending on ebay and I think I can help you out.
Voltaire

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 06-30-2003 12:20 AM

Thank you for you support in every way!

(I wasn't sure if I should let you all see what I really look like) :D

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 06-30-2003 03:04 AM

Each repeater system has its own method of operation. I cant speak to any outside my own area, but the rule remains the same...diversity. For those of you that are hearing out of state systems on your local repeater, there are several methods they use to accomplish this. They may be linked into the other system by means of a UHF link high on a mountain top somewhere or, possibly they are linked via the internet. There are even a few that utilize satellite, although this is rare, usually requiring co-operation with a "friend" that works with the company that owns the bird. (We had such a setup here in Seattle that allowed a link into Honolulu. The repeater owner had a pal that worked for the satellite company and he aquired a channel on the bird for the link.)
Many of the repeaters nationwide are what we call "stand alone", meaning they are not linked into any other systems. Coverage on these machines can vary from extreme to marginal. It really depends on what the needs are for the owners and/ or clubs as well as the physical location of the machine. Hams, for the most part, are a friendly bunch, and will help when asked. Most systems welcome newcomers. If you find that you are "camped" on a particular machine, find out if there is a club, or like enity, that could use a donation or membership. Most often the repeaters are operated "out of pocket" and a few sheckles to help defray the cost of operation is always welcome. Check with regular users on the machine as they should know the score and can point you in the right direction.
For those of you in the Seattle/ Western Washington area, the K7PP system covers most everything west of the Cascades. They are actually running four machines, each covering a specific area, requiring a seperate "tone" for each machine. The coverage from this machine spreads from just south of the Oregon/ Washington border and well into British Columbia. From east to west the coverage ranges from the top of any of the major mountain passes in the Cascades, all the way to the Pacific. There are four repeaters involved to accomplish this. The south coverage area, from Olympia southbound, is from Baw Faw peak. The north machine is located on Lyman peak up near the canadian border, and the central (basin) machine is on Gold mountain. All of these can be heard on 147.200. The forth machine, covering the coast on the west side of the Olympics, can be found on 147.280. Again, all four of these repeaters are linked as one, and can be utilized by programming your rig with the appropiate sub audibile tone for your area. The short version, Mudwoman can talk to Lastmartian and any others in western Washington using this system. You may want to check out their website, (http://www.K7PP.com) for further information. As to how they are operating these days, I havent the faintest idea. I havent used two meters in so long I doubt I could program my Kenwood without looking at the book. Hope this helps......
Last edited by Elk on 06-30-2003 03:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.

mudwoman
Pirate

Re: Radio Shy

Post by mudwoman » 06-30-2003 03:38 AM

Lastmartian wrote: I can relate to being radio shy. I go through a kind of vacillating agony when I'm about to key the mike. It's a terrible condition for a ham, it's like stage fright to an actor. I feel inadequate and unprepared... Well, I guess I bared my soul again...
Ken KD7IZU
;) I had myself in such a state that I put off my tech test for months. Linnea (bless her little ole heart) kicked my rump a few times and I finally did it. (I won't go into how my...er...lower GI system reacted the day of the test! :o )

You know I zip around (if you can call my connection speed zipping...LOL) and no ones talks about 'beginner's nerves' or stage fright etc. I am glad it is being discussed hear. :D

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 06-30-2003 04:12 PM

Linnea,
I think you already have the idea on that dipole. You can replace the balun with an insulator and run a cable tie or something through one of the openings on the ladder line and around the insulator. This will take some of the strain off the wires where they are soldered to the antenna elements. Then you can use the balun at the point where you want to attach the coax.

I think Elk's info about the linked repeaters is very helpfull. I'll check those frequencies out. I think a net on 10 meters might be a good idea too. At night the band quiets down but it's still good for local communication and it won't be very busy either. We could use a frequency in the ssb portion of the band, maybe around 28.400 or so. We could set up a net on one of the lower bands for greater coverage and contacts with more 'pirates'. Art might even tune in himself. I'm taking my general and extra exam on the 12th. I know I'll pass the general at least. Then I can talk with my voice on the lower bands instead of my fingers.

73 de KD7IZU

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 07-01-2003 01:29 AM

From Sequim you wont have much luck talking into Seattle. Too much real estate between you and the greater Seattle area. The Olympics are right in the way, darn it! When the 10 meter band is open though, the DX can be great. The possibility of world wide contacts are there. The band shifts as the day progresses so mornings can bring out of country stations while evenings enable you to talk into the deep south, (Kentucky, Alabama, Texas to name a few.) When the band is open during an episode of "sporadic E", the northwest has a pipeline into Alaska and California. From the coast, the possibilities increase. Ive worked Hawaii, Japan, Austrailia, and parts west. From a parking lot in north Seattle I worked the little island of Tonga. (NE of Austrailia) I was running only 30 watts through a base loaded vertical antenna plopped on the roof of my truck. The gal I talked to was on a boat just off the coast. She gave me a 5/9 signal report. Not too shabby for a little bitty mobile, eh?
If you do decide to start a net on ten, dont do it on 28.400. Thats the call frequency and you may annoy other hams looking make contacts. (They monitor that freq and when they make contact with another station, they move off to another frequency to chat. Hence, the "call freq" designation.) Always listen first before smacking the key.
Last note. Most operators use vertical antennas on 10 for local and DX. A horizontal antenna works okay for DX, not too hot for local stuff. Anything from a quarter wave to five eighths wave will do just fine. They really arent that tall and are relativley easy to put up. Something with a bit of gain helps things along too.
Good luck.
Edit to add: If you really want to get a net going with other hams in the northwest region, you might consider 40 meters. Early morning or early evenings usually work well for closer contacts. Every once in a while I check into a net on 40, that meets at 08:30 pacific time. I work stations from BC to Oregon with little or no trouble. We have one guy who signs in from Forks. Food for thought.
Last edited by Elk on 07-01-2003 01:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-01-2003 01:57 AM

Elk - what kind of an antenna do you recommend for 40? I have a 40 meter di-pole. Would a vertical be better for 40? I have been checking out some verticals. I am finding the di-poles just take up too much space, and the end lines are really to close to the ground/people, etc - to be safe for tx-ing. Actually - am thinking of putting up a multi-band vertical about where the 2 meter is. That is the best place, I think - to avoid having the antenna mix it up with the power lines around here - should the wind blow it over, etc. May be able to swing an antenna tuner for the Icom before long...etc. Please email me if you have any advice, etc...

Ken - hey! Good luck on the tests!
I noticed you had element one already - :) You'll have to tell us about that sometime. Heh. We'll get set up on HF soon.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-01-2003 02:04 AM

MeesterCranky - what HF bands are you going to set up antenna for? Did you figure out what kind of antenna you got from your Dad? Hope to see you get your code and general as well. If you are working on a major move - probably that will keep you busy for awhile.
;)

Isn't Sequim on the east side of the Olympics? I thought it was. Ken - can you hear anything on the Baw Paw repeater? Checked out the website yet? Think I will get an email out to them.

Lastmartian
Pirate

More radio stuff

Post by Lastmartian » 07-01-2003 02:24 AM

Oops. Elk's right 28.400 is a calling freq. I better check my band plan again. 10 meters is kind of like the cb band at night. You can communicate short distances but the north east hills of the Olympics might just get in the way. 2 meter repeaters would be a better way to go for a local net. 40 or 80 would be good for a net at night, presuming most forum members like to stay up late.

Linnea,
I use a 6 band vertical that is made by Diamond antennas. It has tuned ground radials so you don't have to mess with ground radials like you do on most HF verticals. It works very well although it's a little exspensive: about 300.00. Most vertical antennas need a good ground radial system.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”