Wanna Be Ham Nearing Mental overload

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-03-2003 02:06 AM

The discone is temporary. I'm going to get a dual band beam for 2/.70 meters. I rescued an old TV rotator for it as well. I'd like to try cw/ssb when the conditions occur.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 07-04-2003 02:34 AM

I did a quick scan of your location (QRZ) and then compared to a large, detailed topo map. With an improved 2 meter antenna you wont have any trouble getting into the 7.20 machine. (You already have with the discone, so there ya go.)
As for 10 meters, it doesnt look good. Everett, maybe. Points north from there, more than likely. Seattle? Too much in the way Im afraid. You may hear signals that wont hear you. Remember, city dwellers have to deal with alot more manmade noises than those out in the boonies. Tiny signals have a tendancy to get lost in the "hash". 40 or even 80 offer a better chance to confab with the others in this area.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-04-2003 02:59 AM

Thanks for the info Elk. I've often listened to ten meters in the evening and unless there's some residual skip from Australia/NZ the band is dead. If it was good for local communication then I would hear locals communicating. The lower bands are the next place to look, when I pass the general.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 07-05-2003 01:23 AM

Well, dont give up hope yet. In the evenings between 1900 until
around 2200, give a listen between 28. 325 up through 28.450 or so. Off hand, I know of at least a half dozen net that operate during those times, in this area. Their locations vary so, if you hear any one of them, that will give you some idea of what you can work. If the signals are loud enough to copy easily, then they should be able to hear you. North of Seattle, around Everett, there is a traffic net and a public service net. Their starting times Im not sure of so take some time to check them out. In Seattle there is a net that meets on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 1930, on 28.380. Their group ranges from Arlington to Tacoma. Another meets on 28.360 at 2100 pacific time nightly, and are mostly from Renton to points south. The net controls vary from night to night so who you hear on a Monday may not be the same operator on Friday. If you catch any one of these groups, pay attention to where they are located. (Most NCS will give their locations while net is in session.) That should give you a fair idea of your coverage and so forth. Hope this helps.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-12-2003 10:21 PM

Hey, LastMartian - what happened today for your test? Did you have to take a raincheck? Don't fret if you didn't get it done today. {rain?....rain!!! Now there's a thought. Could use some about now around these parts... ;) }

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 07-13-2003 02:50 AM

Hi Linnea,
I took the test allright. Missed one question though. I do that on purpose. I have a morbid fear of perfection.
Just for laughs I tried the Extra exam too even though I didn't study for it. I was six short of passing it. There's a lot more theory in the Extra and I know some of it but I forgot a lot of the equations. If you don't use them you lose them.
It rained some here while I was taking the test but it stopped after awhile. So now I'm a general. As long as I stay in the proper frequencies the hf band is more fun now.

Linnea

Congrats!

Post by Linnea » 07-13-2003 03:42 AM

Ken - Well, well now! That's great! If you can get out on 75 meters, we can do some signal checks - Seems like I am more oriented for North/South with the setting of my dipole. I can pick up Salem and Beaverton, and as far away as San Mateo. Had trouble pulling in a signal from Spokane. Hmmmm. Congratulations again! Send me an email to set up a time - if you want.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”