South Natomas Home Covered With Sheet Metal.

Ham Radio/SW DXing. Get involved! Let's take back America's Radio Waves! What's going on in ham radio in America...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

South Natomas Home Covered With Sheet Metal.

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 05-28-2005 07:14 PM

Forwarded by a ham friend to me. He said the original story is on...

KCRA Television's web site

South Natomas Home Covered With Sheet Metal
Residents Claim Neighbors Bombarding Them With Radiation
POSTED: 8:42 am PDT May 20, 2005
UPDATED: 2:00 pm PDT May 20, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A home in Sacramento's south Natomas neighborhood is surrounded by sheet metal, and neighbors are calling it an eyesore.

The D'Souza family lives in the home on Timberwood Court, and claims the aluminium pieces are necessary to protect them from unknown neighbors who have been bombarding them with radio waves and making them sick.

"(It's) a shield to protect against radiation, because microwave radiation is reflected off of aluminium, so it's a protective measure," resident Sarah D'Souza said.

The D'Souzas said the bombardment began after the first anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and that the radio waves have caused them health problems ranging from headaches to lupus.

Sacramento Code Enforcement officials have gotten involved and ordered the family to remove the metal by Monday or face a misdemeanor citation.

"Eleven years in Sacramento and few other years in Southern California and this is the first time I've ever seen (anything like this). The inside of the house is also covered with foil and the beds are covered with a foil-like material as well," Sacramento Code Enforcement spokesman Josh Pino said.

The D'Souzas said they will comply with the order and remove the sheet metal, but they also plan to gather evidence to show city officials what they believe is a problem with radiation.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-28-2005 08:47 PM

Wow. Wonder what proof they will offer? Hope you can follow this story, Fred.

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 05-30-2005 01:33 PM

Linnea wrote: Wow. Wonder what proof they will offer? Hope you can follow this story, Fred.

The friend that sent me this said he would forward anything else that comes down.

Speaking of strange homes, there was a discussion on 40 meters (ham radio) last night between some guys up in Michigan. The one is building a 2,000 foot "safe house" into the side of a hill.

He mentioned his concern with the fall of the U.S. and wanted a place where he could "ride out" the storm. He claims he's going to do it, and said that the project will be about $190,000 with all the structural steel and cement.

73, Fred

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 05-30-2005 02:13 PM

I will be tuned it too Fred..Cap Spike Mike was telling us one night in the orr, that a copper mesh wire screen lining the walls of the interior of your home was an effective but very expensive way to protect yourself from all these waves, but said that you would then only be able to use things like your cell phone etc. out of doors, as the barrier works both ways...Interesting story, TY :)

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 05-30-2005 07:00 PM

sayntbrigid wrote: I will be tuned it too Fred..Cap Spike Mike was telling us one night in the orr, that a copper mesh wire screen lining the walls of the interior of your home was an effective but very expensive way to protect yourself from all these waves, but said that you would then only be able to use things like your cell phone etc. out of doors, as the barrier works both ways...Interesting story, TY :)

Cptn Mike is correct. It's excellent, and then top it off with Auralux to keep the sound level down, both ways.

Here in my home studio, all the walls have copper screen under the drywall, under the carpet, and in the ceiling. When the copper screen is properly installed, and grounded, even the local AM station 2 miles away, and the FM station .6 miles north, can barely be heard.

To hear stations, and use any ham radios, I have to use the outside antennas that have coax leads to the inside.

I put screen in for three reasons. First, in my home studio I have a lot of sensitive equipment. However, to the south of me I have a military installation that has been known to test "stuff". Also, when lightning hits nearby, the screen knocks down the EMF field in the room.

If you don't want to spend the money on screen, (which I admit cost a bundle), consider this. You can get the same effect but with less shielding results with bonded chicken wire. You want the closest weave you can find. The trick is that you have to solder all the pieces together, so they are all electrically the same. Then coat the wire with a spray on "rust converter". It works fairly good, but you get better results with screen.

I don't know if you know the relationship of decibels of signal strength, but if I measure the AM station outside with a professional meter, and then measure inside, the loss of signal is about 43-50 dB. The FM station, (running 6 kW @ 300 ft) still gets in a little bit, but the rest of the band is dead.

Return to “Ham Radio/DXing”