The Other Political Scandal: 'Forkgate'

Moderator: Super Moderators

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 01-14-2014 01:53 AM

Sam.I'm.Not wrote: Growing up in the shadow of NYC and having lived all around the USA I can see why people not form the NYC area don't get this. How ever in the NYC area you grab a slice fold it in half and eat. It is the way that it is done. The mayor might as well have declared himself a Red Socks fan.

Maybe these people never watched Saturday Night Fever. Of course you fold it. There is no other way.

Then again this guy, in my opinion, will be the scourge of NY and beyond but all they talk about is his eating utensils.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-14-2014 10:57 AM

AHH deep dish pizza?? Thick crust pizza?? Oh sure thin crust with just one or two toppings - but ya right - hot pizza you'd burn your hands on -- or have to open your mouth so wide - no thanks!

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 01-14-2014 11:13 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: AHH deep dish pizza?? Thick crust pizza?? Oh sure thin crust with just one or two toppings - but ya right - hot pizza you'd burn your hands on -- or have to open your mouth so wide - no thanks!

We are talking pizza in NYC here that is thin crust and for my taste the best pizza there is. That said a good Chicago style pie from the right place will get me running for the cutlery. Given the choice NY style every time.

Not Sam
Life is short drink good coffee.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-14-2014 11:18 AM

Yes, we are not talking normal pizza to most people here, having looked it up now it is as I surmised, thin and anemic :)

Doesn't look like a great pizza, but like I mentioned before, when you are drunk it is fine. I guess if you have to live in NYC you'll put up with a lot, just not someone eating pizza with utensils :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-14-2014 11:21 AM

This is a pretty standard Montreal pizza.

Le Quebecois pizza always has onions and bacon. Often they do smoked meat instead of bacon, which is called Le Montrealais usually.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-14-2014 02:51 PM

I prefer a Papa Murphy's pizza - where I choose what kind I get, wrapped, taken home and cooked WHEN I desire! And yes I can add more if I desire.

I remember making pizza from a box - Jiffy, Chef Boy-R-D (?sp) types when ya them skinny little crusts. Or grabbing some of the frozen ones on sale for a quick pizza but they too have at least a medium crust! Comes in handy when you have unexpected company!

Glad I am not in NYC if all they have are tiny skinny crusts and people who make fun of others who get their first piece with a fork when that pizza is HOT HOT out of the oven. Guess I am just picky ehh?? :)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-14-2014 03:02 PM

Cons of folding a pizza:

1. You ruin the look of it (assuming it looks good to begin with)

2. You get a huge wadded up piece of crust at the end

3. More chance to spill on your shirt

New Yorker want to give me the Pros?

I guess:

1. Portability. Can eat on the run.

Sure there are more I am not aware of.

Sam.I'm.Not
Pirate

Post by Sam.I'm.Not » 01-14-2014 03:13 PM

I think Slice size has to be factored in here. An 18 inch pizza is standard and with the thin crust the point would droop if the slice was not folded.
Last edited by Sam.I'm.Not on 01-14-2014 03:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short drink good coffee.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-14-2014 03:18 PM

Yes, so slice stability is a factor. Although this is not a problem to utensil eaters of course.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-15-2014 04:31 PM

Generally being a habitually 'value-minded' pizza consumer, my source of choice had been Little Caesar's regular-crust everyday $5 large one-topping pie - but the location in our town closed for a 2nd time a few years back. Now I'm a fan of Papa Murphy's Mon-Wed $5 Faves...

Fact is, this thread made me hungry so earlier this afternoon I picked up one of their sausage pizzas and "personalized" it with my own pepperoni, diced tomatoes, chopped garlic and onion, mushrooms, and extra cheese. Extra work it is, but IMHO the end result is worth it.

Other than that, once in a blue moon I'll treat myself to an extra-large gourmet slice of 'Rocco Chicago' pan-style at 'Rocky Rocco's' - though at $3.99 per, good as it is? It grates my value-minded instincts to think for a buck more I could have a whole large pie at Papa's.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 01-15-2014 05:27 PM

Pretty often I will make my own pizzas. Get a huge block of mozz, toppings (onion, chorizo, garlic, capicollo, leftover veggies), some premade crusts (unless I am really in the cooking mood to make my own). I make a massive full large cookie tray pizza, have 2 slices for dinner, and then wrap and freeze the rest. Super easy lunches or dinners, made with good quality ingredients (I am very suspicious of what cheap places use for meat etc), and cheaper than anything you can buy commercially. I use really good ingredients and for $20-$30 I can make enough pizza for at least 7 meals.

However, I don't fold it because it is square :)

I order occasionally, this is our local place, it is good, but pricey. http://www.vulcano.ca/uploads/menu-livraison.pdf (pizza is all the way at the bottom).

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-15-2014 07:10 PM

I make my own too. There is a pizza place here but the crust is too thick and they don't use enough spice for my liking.

I made pizza once for a male friend of mine who knows absolutely nothing about cooking. He asked me how I got the cheese to go stringy. That's what I call really cooking challenged. :D
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-16-2014 03:16 AM

The Great American Pizza Map(s)
Everything you ever wanted to know about the business of pizza in the US and then some. LINK

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”