NRC strips whistleblower protections

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

NRC strips whistleblower protections

Post by kbot » 11-11-2013 08:23 AM

After listening to JB Wells Fukashima show the other night, I went to Arnie Gunderson's website, and he had a podcast on his site describing how the NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) has stripped the whistleblower protections afforded to those working in nuclear power sites.

Should be comforting.......

Demystifying Nuclear Power NRC Strips Whistleblower Protections

In sworn testimony in Monroe, Michigan, the NRC admitted that it has stripped whistleblower protection from the licensing of new nuclear power plants. By flip-flopping on what it means to be an applicant, the whistleblowers who are truly looking to protect the public health and safety are having their lives and livelihoods jeopardized. Fairewinds Chief Engineer Arnie Gunderson discusses what this means as utilities look for short cuts and cheaper ways to build new nukes.

http://fairewinds.org/podcast/nrc-strip ... rotections

The podcast is fairly short - only 11 minutes or so. But, it is amazing the lengths that the government is now going to in order to dilute the protections afforded to the public.

As some background, Gunderson speaks of a QA Program. The hospital I work at has Oncology and Nuclear Medicine Departments. So, we use a LOT of radioisotopes. We are required to have a QA Program that describes how we have processes in place to protect the public. Seems that some bureaucrats are now working to do away with certain protections.......

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-11-2013 11:41 AM

If people knew how dangerous and mickey mouse some of these places were they would be in big trouble. Just simple stuff like the fact they store used fuel rods on top of the reactor in many cases... we don't know until a disaster strikes and it is too late.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-11-2013 04:40 PM

KBOT, you are aware that the plant you're talking about, Fermi II, is the one that almost went critical and would have taken out the lower half of Detroit and the upper part of Toledo, not to mention crop dusting Ontario all the way to Montreal.

There are still questions by some of the construction workers as to the integrity of the plant.

However, the one in our region most at risk is Davis-Bessie near Oak Harbor OH. It has/had stress fractures in some of the cement, and signs of lots of rusting. Very poor maintenance.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-11-2013 07:08 PM

Was not aware of that - after listening to JB's show the other night I started going online and doing some looking and found the podcast.

Not far from where I live is a nuclear power plant over in Plymouth - the Pilgrim Nuclear Power company. Like Fukashima, it's coastal, and it's had its share of problems.

One of the sick jokes (we specialize in dark humor here.....) is that over in the Canary Islands, there (apparently) is a cliff just waiting to fall off into the ocean. Scientists speculate that, once it does, it will set-off a chain reaction, resulting in a massive tidal wave that would wipe out pretty much the entire eastern seaboard from The Maritimes down past Virginia.

With the many nuclear power plants on the east coast, we'd have multiple Fukashima's polluting the Atlantic......

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-11-2013 07:52 PM

Check out this link on Wiki. The book is an interesting read, but is dated by today's standards.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-11-2013 09:12 PM

Oh crap.........

Sometimes I find that scientists are arrogant sob's. Some are dedicated to "the work", while others think that they know all and everyone should just bow to them because of the education.

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”