Dick Cheney Feared Terrorists Would Wirelessly Send Fatal Sh

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Dick Cheney Feared Terrorists Would Wirelessly Send Fatal Sh

Post by Riddick » 10-18-2013 09:34 PM

In an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes," Cheney says doctors replaced an implanted defibrillator near his heart in 2007. The device can detect irregular heartbeats and control them with electrical jolts.

Cheney says that he and his doctor, cardiologist Jonathan Reiner, turned off the device's wireless function in case a terrorist tried to send his heart a fatal shock.

Years later, Cheney watched an episode of the Showtime series "Homeland" in which such a scenario was part of the plot.

"I found it credible," Cheney tells "60 Minutes" in a segment to be aired Sunday. "I know from the experience we had, and the necessity for adjusting my own device, that it was an accurate portrayal of what was possible."

Cheney and Reiner are promoting a book they co-authored, "Heart: An American Medical Odyssey."

Full Story

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-24-2013 10:16 AM

Technically -- some of these mechanically controlled heart products can be -- less than perfect. Don't get near high strong magnets as they will cause problems MRI - no no! Other things can cause problems as well with those.

Just think of all the high tech out there - electric that could cause problems as well. Tasers - uhuh. Its something else for sure, but times have changed.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-24-2013 11:21 AM

Doctors have been trying to put one of these in my wife for a few years now, but she's afraid (don't blame her).

MRI is pretty much a no-no, although there is a manufacturer out there that does make an MRI-conditional pacemaker (not the exact same thing). This requires that the company's technical rep come in before the patient's appointment and they meet, discuss the situation and just prior to the scan the unit is reprogrammed.

Undoubtedly an implantable cardio-defibrillator version will be out in a few years.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-24-2013 03:27 PM

Even as Cheney's out of office for a number of years now it's not like he's no reason to fear a deleberate premature departure - I mean, how hard is it to imagine there's still folks out there who'd like to see him dead for all he did?

Rather than curtail aspects of the pacemaker's function, maybe the answer is to dramatically INCREASE his overall cybernetic composition - along with ultrasonic hearing and night vision sensors, add an EMP/EMI resistant heavily armored suit loaded with all the latest and greatest advanced weaponry and VOILA -

Don't You Dare Dick Around with RoboDick!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-25-2013 10:18 AM

The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”