Democratic Congress Member Declares Martial Law

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Democratic Congress Member Declares Martial Law

Post by Riddick » 10-09-2013 07:29 PM

Ratcheting up the already argumentative rhetoric in Congress, a Democratic congresswoman from Texas has declared “martial law” is the solution to the current partial shutdown of the federal government.

The comments from Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, took some listeners by surprise, since a common understanding of “martial law” would be of an authority – a president or a military commander – using military force to impose its will on an uncooperative people.

Think tanks, machine guns and jail cells.

Full Story

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-10-2013 07:02 AM

From the article:

"
At Washingtonsblog was the comment: “The last time we heard Congress members use the phrase martial law was when Congressmen Brad Sherman and Paul Kanjorski, and Senator James Inhofe, all said that Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson warned of martial law if the TARP banks bailouts weren’t approved.”

A commenter suggested Jackson Lee was using it in the context of House rules that call for one day between announcing legislation and a vote:

“Instead, under ‘martial law,’ the leadership can file legislation with tens or hundreds of pages of fine print and move immediately to debate and [vote] on it, before members of Congress, the media, or the public have an opportunity to understand fully what provisions have been altered or inserted…”

Critics noted that Jackson Lee wasn’t exactly following the Constitution anyway, because she advocated for House approval of a spending bill from the Senate.

“Article I, Section 7, Clause I of the Constitution … states, ‘All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives,” said one of the YouTube users who uploaded the video to share with Americans.

One other observer, who also loaded the footage onto YouTube, noted, “Can someone please explain why the representative from Texas used this language?”

Why indeed did the Democrat invoke the phrase "martial alw" since it is such a loaded phrase to begin with, especially post 9-11.

Even so, the issue of sending a bill to the floor unread for a vote - isn't that practice that got us nito thie mess with Obamacare?

On the other hand, is it possible that the concept of martial law is becoming one that this Congress is becomnig more comfortable with, and maybe seeing as a viable strategoc way out of dismal approval ratings from the public concerning the way the government works and does its job?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-10-2013 09:51 AM

Three callers to open afternoon talk radio (local) talked about "Martial Law" -- as something that might be imposed with yet another major debt raising demand...just in time to stop elections. Another caller said no it was unconstitutional. Then a third caller (about 15 minutes later) said since when has the constitution meant anything to this administration?

CRAZY!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-10-2013 10:44 AM

Romney predicts default crisis.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-10-2013 11:42 AM

Also under "Marshall Law" the Pres can and probably would disband congress and anything else in his way. He would become America's first Dictator , also declaring the Constitution dead and unworkable. This has always been the goal.

OK, Can't spell when I'm P!@sed, ;) Make that "Martial Law" :)
Last edited by Doka on 10-12-2013 12:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 10-10-2013 11:56 PM

She's obviously a dope and has been for years . Voted in from a district with sub par educated people. Heck she can't even speak proper English .

I'm kind of a dope as you all have noticed but she makes me look like a MIT professor .
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-11-2013 08:38 AM

So the idea is that she didn't really mean what she said and misspoke out of ignorance? Sorry, don't think so -- it's both. She misspoke out of ignorance AND she meant what she said.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-11-2013 10:54 AM

Doka wrote: Also under "Marshall Law" the Pres can and probably would disband congress and anything else in his way. He would become America's first Dictator , also declaring the Constitution dead and unworkable. This has always been the goal.
I agree.

Nitpick, it is Martial Law (not marshall). Doesn't matter much except it is hard to google :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law#United_States
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-11-2013 09:40 PM

HB3 wrote: So the idea is that she didn't really mean what she said and misspoke out of ignorance? Sorry, don't think so -- it's both. She misspoke out of ignorance AND she meant what she said.
I'd say she meant what she said for sure - OTOH, I dunno if she MIS-spoke out of ignorance. Ignorance may be all she knows, and if so then that IS all she speaks -

IOW, Idiocracy in action.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-11-2013 10:09 PM

Fan wrote: I agree.

Nitpick, it is Martial Law (not marshall). Doesn't matter much except it is hard to google :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law#United_States
Also not to be confused with the comic book character of similar sounding name...

From tvtropes.org:
  • Set Twenty Minutes into the Future, Marshal Law is the story of Joe Gilmore, aka Marshal Law. A violent anti-hero super-hero cop, Marshal Law's job is to arrest super-heroes and other super-powered criminals, most of which got their powers from the US Government.

A biting satire of super-hero comics, the series was published by Marvel Comics Epic line before being moved onto a variety of other publishers. The series was famous for its satirical look at super-heroes and the public's love of them, while exploring the seedy underbelly of what it means to have absolute power. It also offered a rather scathing attack on American foreign policy under Reagan in the 1980s, as Reagan's war against communism in the Central America serves as the backdrop of Marshal Law's origin.
    Catch Phrase: "I'm a Hero Hunter. I hunt heroes. Haven't found any yet."
    "A lot of people say I'm a uniformed thug, no better than the scum I hunt down...a fascist cop...a glorified Nazi...a legalized vigilante, handing out his own highly suspect street "justice"... someone with a pathological hatred of superheroes, reveling at the chance to beat the hell out of them. That sounds fair. I can live with that."

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 10-12-2013 04:36 PM

Sheila Jackson Leigh is a bigoted, narcissistic grandstander and an "aisle hog".

http://www.salon.com/2011/01/25/aisle_hogs/

No need to wonder why she continues to be re-elected as her demographics occupy most of inner city Houston. She is just a common thru with a great gig and pension on someone else's dime.

"Sheila Jackson Lee (born January 12, 1950) is the U.S. Representative for Texas's 18th congressional district, serving since 1995. The district includes most of inner-city Houston. She is a member of the Democratic Party."
A man's character is his fate

Return to “Politics and Government 2010-2013”